Anyone ever trained for a mud run?

Options
I was thinking good motivation to keep me going would be to register and pay for the MUKFEST (ms fundraising mud run). I have a friend who does it each year.

I am curious what my training regiment should be in order to try something like this?

Replies

• theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    ???
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There's no mystery to it. You need a decent pair of trail shoes and access to some countryside. Go running 3-5 times a week depending on your experience level and fitness.

Try this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Running-Faster-Julian-Goater/dp/0736095500/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394561009&sr=8-1&keywords=art+of+running+faster

It has lots of sensible advice for runners and is written in plain English.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I was thinking good motivation to keep me going would be to register and pay for the MUKFEST (ms fundraising mud run). I have a friend who does it each year.

I am curious what my training regiment should be in order to try something like this?

yup! i love them. i have 2 coming up. i do rugged maniac. it really depends on how difficult and if there are obstacles. some mud runs do not have obstacles some do. if no obstacles and just mud no special training other than running involved. if there are obstacles you will want to do some weight training. push up/lunges/squats/burpees. you use a lot of upper body strength for obstacle mud runs. some obstacles i've done are climbing up and over wooden barriers, climbing up and over hay bales, crawling through tunnels, jumping over big holes, crawling up tunnels, rope swings, climbing up mud hills, climbing over picknic tables, crawling under barbed wire.

if your race is just a straight mud run (sometimes they just have 1 big mud pit at the end before the finish line) you'll just crawl through mud so nothing too difficult there.

i'd find out what kind of course it'll be. if it's just a few mud pits then focus on running. get some good trail sneakers and get out on the trails and well run. :) good luck and MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE FUN!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them because they are just fun events. A lot of running events are very serious and people are going for times and what not...meh, whatevs...I'm just not that serious of a runner and going out and running a normal 5K or 10K is boring to me. I tried to love it, but it's just so meh...

mud runs are a blast though...I generally end up doing some combination of running/walking as I am just not that great of a runner (even when I was training and trying to be a runner)...I supinate and running does a real number on my hips and IT band and I'm just slow in general...so these things are right up my ally as I can just go out and have fun.

I'd just make sure you can cover the mileage however you can cover it. Do some strength work as well for the obstacles. Just have fun.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Mud Hero this summer. It's at a ski hill so we will be running up it, with 16 mud obstacles along the way. I can't wait!!

I went here http://toughmudder.com/training and checked out their training suggestions .. there are 3 of them, designed for 3 different fitness levels!
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yeah I find practicing longer steady paced running but also sprints/hill sprints are good for them (I love these by the way!).

Also for the obstacles circuit training is pretty effective, if you have access to a gym then TRX and kettlebells/VIPR can provide some great exercises otherwise bodyweight exercises are fine as mentioned by another poster.

You will enjoy it, so much fun
  • chrissyrohl
    chrissyrohl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done the mudathalon , muddy buddy, super spartan and warrior dash. There are people of all fitness levels. I recommend wearing a pair of gloves with tread for climbing etc, old shoes that you will leave there, and clean clothes and a towel for afterwards. Have a blast. I would practice running, walking, push-ups and burpies. Don't worry, you will finish, have fun.
  • leviclampitt
    Options

Depends on your weaknesses.

- If you don't have a history of running, practice getting down the form. It doesn't have to be far. In fact, you'll never go more than 400 meters in a race without hitting another obstacle. So work on the short stuff: 20, 50, 100, and 200 meters. Stay on your forefeet and pump your arms.

- For strength training, work on the areas that tend to get overlooked: Core strength, glute activation, back and grip strength. The 2 hardest obstacles of mud runs tend to be 1) hills and 2) things you have to climb/hold onto. Doing lunges, step-ups, squats, and thrusts will help with the hills. For the grip, try deadlifts, chinups, 1 arm rows, and farmers walk.

- If you have some weight you need to lose, get on a diet plan to help with that. Doing this will go a long ways in making the race feel easier and more comfortable.

If you need more help, check out the posts at www.mudrunprep.com