Two weeks in and no progress :/

Options
I started working out 3x a week for 45-60 min two weeks ago and have been watching my calorie intake through MFP. I've also cut out soda, fast food, and desserts. I thought by now I would notice some progress, but nothing at all. Is this normal? Does it usually take at least 4 weeks to see any results?

Replies

• pamnz
    pamnz Posts: 6
    Options
    Are you seeing a difference in inches? Maybe you are putting on muscle which weighs more than fat.
  • ivleafklover
    ivleafklover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle. Are you seeing any difference in measurements or how your clothes fit?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't be really gaining muscle if in a deficit but might be retaining water in your muscles.

How many calories are you on? Your diary isn't open. If you want good advice it's best to open it so people can see what is wrong.
  • lean—girl
    lean—girl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're staying well-hydrated (pee often and pee clear!) snd getting plenty of rest (that's when your body burns off the calories from your workouts).
  • laurabkas
    Options
    My goal weight loss is 20 lbs. I'm only supposed to eat 1,440 calories a day and most days I've been under. I haven't noticed any changes in my clothes yet... Is gaining muscle going to hinder my weight loss?
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    When you up your activity, water retention is pretty common while your muscles repair themselves. Yes, muscle increase will hinder weight loss, but does weight really matter when you're looking killer and fitting into smaller clothes? In regard to food intake, are you weighing what you're eating? Do you eat back your workout calories? If so, do you eat back what MFP tells you you burned? MFP tends to run high in the calories burned department, so it's not something I would advise. Maybe try eating half back and see where you stand progress wise.

All of that being said, 2 weeks is NOT giving your body a chance to adjust to your new routine. Give it a month or two minimum. Also, focus on measurements to gauge progress, too. As a said above, does weight really matter if you're getting smaller?
  • laurabkas
    Options
    No, weight doesn't really matter but I definitely want to be smaller! Whenever I log my exercises on MFP I always put in my own results I got from the gym. This might be a stupid question, but can I really get smaller and thinner without losing a bunch of weight? I'm new to to all this and this is the first time I've finally buckled down to make it happen. I'm just afraid I'm going to get discouraged and quit again :/ I will give it 4 weeks and see where I'm at. I think I will notice a difference when I can finally wear my old jeans.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is hardly any time. That would be only 2-4 lbs lost max if you're following MFP's recommedations for a 1 or 2 lb loss a week. As they say, you didn't gain it in a short amount of time - you're not going to lose it in a short amount of time either. You just have to be patient and consistent. If you keep eating at a deficit, you WILL lose weight. Just believe that & keep going. You just might not see results for a month or more. I know I didn't. Don't let it get you down - it will be worth it! I promise!

ETA: I've been at this since January 3rd and have lost about 15lbs, but am still wearing the same size jeans. Granted, they're looser - but still. It just takes time and your body changes in different ways. I've lost most of my weight in my upper body and am down a shirt size, but not a jeans size.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    No, weight doesn't really matter but I definitely want to be smaller! Whenever I log my exercises on MFP I always put in my own results I got from the gym. This might be a stupid question, but can I really get smaller and thinner without losing a bunch of weight? I'm new to to all this and this is the first time I've finally buckled down to make it happen. I'm just afraid I'm going to get discouraged and quit again :/ I will give it 4 weeks and see where I'm at. I think I will notice a difference when I can finally wear my old jeans.

A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same, but a pound of muscle is denser (read: smaller) than a pound of fat. So, while gaining a pound of muscle and losing a pound of fat cancels each other out on the scale, your body is physically smaller.

For all weight loss, you have to have patience and be relentlessly persistent. Especially as you become closer and closer to your goal. The less you have to lose, the harder it is to get there. It's taken me since joining to lose 34lbs, but it hasn't crept back and my default habits are much healthier than they were. Be gentle with yourself when you make mistakes, and then carry on as if it didn't happen. Your body (and mind) will reward you. Don't forget about daily weight fluctuations, too. I only weigh myself *maybe* once a month because I know it shifts several pounds due to just being alive. No use driving myself crazy over a number.
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    It's possible you could be holding on to a few pounds of water weight.

when you do strenuous exercise, the following day you could be up a few pounds of water weight cause your muscles retain the water. I always notice that, for me atleast, i lose the water weight the day after the day i dont exercise.

By the look of your diary you've exercised 7 out of the last 8 days... so it's possible that you do have some losses in there, perhaps you're just not seeing them on the scale cause you're constantly holding on to water.

Eating high sodium foods can also cause water retention. from the looks of your diary, 5 out of the last 8 days have been over on sodium levels for the day. Surprisingly enough, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, drinking alot of water throughout the day (8+ cups) will help flush out all the excess water retention.

so just plan out your weigh in days... if, for example, you want to get an accurate weigh-in tomorrow:

1. Dont exercise today
    2. Dont eat foods with alot of salt / sodium today, keep it it under 2500 mg
    3. Drink alot of water (8+ cups), or tea
    4. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning the day after, before you have breakfast.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1. Two weeks is not enough time to determine...well, anything.
    2. Starting (or intensifying) exercise will lead to a temporary weight gain that could easily mask any weight loss progress. Patience, this will go away.
    3. You are doing yourself no favors by eating less than the calorie target which already has a deficit built in and very likely is lower than ideal anyhow (given most people's inclination to select the maximum weight loss of 2 pounds/week even when it isn't advisable).
    4. Patience.

(Someone please drop the link to the "sexypants" thread. I don't have it handy.)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Why the hell would you tell her not to exercise just to see a number move on the scale - that's completely asinine.

OP, it takes time. Two weeks is NOTHING!

Water retention is the likely cause, not accurately logging your food and eating over your goal is the other.

If you are tracking properly and sticking to a moderate caloric deficit YOU WILL LOSE FAT. That is a fact. Give it a little time, and please try not to obsess over the number on the scale.

Take measurements and pics, go by how your clothes are fitting, these are much better pictures of your progress! As an example, I have lost less than 5lbs in the last 10 weeks, yet around 2 1/2 inches from my stomach. I might have been disappointed by the number on the scale if that were my only measure of success...

oh and BOOM: please do yourself a favour and read this!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • DesiPandasaur
    Options
    You got a lot of awesome responses. Make sure you're getting enough water. Also, cut salt where you can. Two weeks really isn't much time to notice a huge difference. Also, don't forget your stretches and proper sleep. :] You're headed in the right direction!
  • andyrh525
    Options
    Make sure to weigh your meals. Maybe you are eating more than you think. I think after 2 weeks there is usually some progress, but everyone's body is different.
  • nyqueensguy
    nyqueensguy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If your talking about gaining muscle, then yes it takes longer than four weeks and probably working out 5 or 6 days a week. If your talking about losing weight, yes you should have seen the weight on the scale go down at least two or three pounds minimum in four weeks if you sticking to the MFP plan. That being said, its not easy. We all struggle with it and you need to know your body and be true to your self. Anyone can lose weight if they reduce their calories and increase exercise. Sometimes easier said than done. Weigh your food, log everything you put in your mouth, stick to the plan and the pounds will come off.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    1. Two weeks is not enough time to determine...well, anything.
    2. Starting (or intensifying) exercise will lead to a temporary weight gain that could easily mask any weight loss progress. Patience, this will go away.
    3. You are doing yourself no favors by eating less than the calorie target which already has a deficit built in and very likely is lower than ideal anyhow (given most people's inclination to select the maximum weight loss of 2 pounds/week even when it isn't advisable).
    4. Patience.

(Someone please drop the link to the "sexypants" thread. I don't have it handy.)

QFT!!:drinker:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle. Are you seeing any difference in measurements or how your clothes fit?

OP is not going to add muscle in two weeks, assuming that she is in fact in a calorie deficit...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - do you owns food scale? Weigh/measure everything that you can? Log ALL your food…?

It can take your body up to four weeks to adjust/adapt to a new program…and you could have water retention from working out. Drink plenty of water and that will help flush it out.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It's possible you could be holding on to a few pounds of water weight.

when you do strenuous exercise, the following day you could be up a few pounds of water weight cause your muscles retain the water. I always notice that, for me atleast, i lose the water weight the day after the day i dont exercise.

By the look of your diary you've exercised 7 out of the last 8 days... so it's possible that you do have some losses in there, perhaps you're just not seeing them on the scale cause you're constantly holding on to water.

Eating high sodium foods can also cause water retention. from the looks of your diary, 5 out of the last 8 days have been over on sodium levels for the day. Surprisingly enough, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, drinking alot of water throughout the day (8+ cups) will help flush out all the excess water retention.

so just plan out your weigh in days... if, for example, you want to get an accurate weigh-in tomorrow:

1. Dont exercise today
    2. Dont eat foods with alot of salt / sodium today, keep it it under 2500 mg
    3. Drink alot of water (8+ cups), or tea
    4. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning the day after, before you have breakfast.

why, so you can trick yourself into thinking you have lose weight, when it is just water weight?

OP - ignore this, except for the drinking water part.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    weightloss_zps64ba6398.jpg