told people w/ hypothyroidism won't lose more than 10 lbs

Options
It worries me. Dr wants me down 60 lbs and so do I. My friend was diagnosed hypothyroidism 4 years ago. She's only lost 10 lbs and said it'd be the same with me.

Anyone have advice. I'm 4ft 9.5 in and due to being undiagnosed for awhile I ended up gaining until I hit 195. I lost 15 lbs by changing my diet but gained it back. I'm going for a blood test soon. I think my meds need upped.

This is driving me nuts and making me loathe my body more. Now that I've completed physical therapy I can start lifting weighs, walking more and swimming.

What do I do if I plateau?

Replies

• Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't help with plateau advice since I have be en stuck for months but you CAN lose more than 10 lbs if you work at it. I lost 32 lbs in the first 6 months. Log as accurately as you can and move your body. It's better when your meds get to the right dosage but you're still going to have to work harder for it than a non-hypo person.

Good luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Your friend is looking for an excuse for not losing weight, like most of us :) A person with treated hypothyroidism is no different than someone completely healthy.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options
    I have a severe case of hypothyroidism, and as you can see, I've lost more than 10 pounds so far. As long as you have the proper medication, and possibly come to terms with the fact you may have to adjust your calories a little lower, you'll be able to lose weight. Untreated? That's a different story...yikes. (I could tell you a heck of a horror story.)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can lose more that 10lb.

In all honesty, it will be hard as hypothyriodism often means you have a lower metabolism than average plus you are pretty short. I would suggest:

- get your meds sorted out
    - log all you food (weight it with a digital scale)
    - limit your carbs (not low carb, but keep them in the low 100's, depending on your caloric intake) and keep your protein and fats on the higher side
    - resistance train
    - keep active
  • ryry1322
    ryry1322 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that. I don't want to be stuck here forever.
  • Trukngrl
    Trukngrl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Never let anyone tell you you can't or won't. Other people's lables have no use in your brain. You are an individual, who's body composition is different than any other person around. You can do anything you decided in your mind. Your resolve and will power may have to be higher than others who want to dable in weight loss or take it up as a hobby or a resolution. Decide and do. Don't allow others' negativity to cloud your plan, and your goals.

You can do it.
  • ryry1322
    ryry1322 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    NightWriteMer how long have you been at it? And do you work out?
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I've lost 86lbs since last year it takes great commitment but can be done! I'm also a PCOS sufferer! Did I struggle yes! KEEP A I CAN ATTITUDE and believe in yourself is the true key to success! Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, too, and I've fifty-five pounds in about nine months. So it is totally possible. That said, getting your dosage right IS very important and will make things a LOT easier. And I second the advice about to measure and log everything and do resistance training. I'll cop to not being able to keep up a low carb diet (I shoot for moderate carb - if I'm being good), but I have heard it helps! Overall, you need both patience and tenacity. It's not an easy road, but you can do it!
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible. I have hypothyroidism. I managed to lose about 2 1/2 stone BEFORE I was even diagnosed. Fortunately mine is fairly mild and the meds are keeping it stable. It can be a slower process, but it's totally achievable. Have patience, you can do it!x
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    When I started on here, I was severely hypothyroid (my thyroid medications have been decreased as I've lost weight). It certainly hasn't affected my progress past 10 pounds! Don't listen to other people saying you can't do it! Eat at a moderate deficit, throw in a bit of exercise and you will be successful!
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hashimotos hypo thyroid here, more than 10 lbs down, tracking since christmas ish, going slowly but it is possible!!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Lost 45 last year before I was even diagnosed.

Your friend is making excuses.
  • 2bfit4me4ever
    Options
    I am hypo as well, and it is a struggle. I have not been successful, but I know most of it is due to discouraging facts about my illness, and how quickly I gain weight. I worked so hard and lost weight, and then BOOM it comes right back and is so hard to get off again. I am talking 10 pounds in 4 days during a weekend getaway. Then the discouragement happens all over again, and I am stuck. I hope to gain a little encouragement from others who have been successful. At this point I am so confused about how to eat. No carb? Low carb? Count calories? My mind is so consumed with information that I don't really know where to start this time :\
  • amw5471
    Options
    Honestly, there as always going to be so many different opinions. I have found that not drinking as much caffeine helps me as well as taking my synthroid about 2 hours before I actually wake up (which sounds terrible but I am able to go back to bed really easily and it ensures nothing else is messing with it). Mess around a bit with different pieces of advice and figure out what is working. My number one thyroid symptom is feeling exhausted even with 10 hours of regular sleep. Now that I am able to recognize that I can kind of figure out when my diet or meds aren't working.
  • 2bfit4me4ever
    Options
    Caffeine is what keeps me going when I am feeling so tired. Does cutting out caffeinated diet drinks really help lose weight? This may be one of my big problems as well.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Your friend is full of Cheetos :laugh:

Seriously, once you get your blood levels settled with meds, there is no reason you can't lose more than 10 pounds. The biggest problem is that because of the nature of the thyroid hormones and the blood tests, it can take maybe a year to normalize your levels.

Just keep working, don't get discouraged and it will kick in eventually. I have zero thyroid function and am regulated with meds and was able to lose 30 pounds. I am in my 60's and have fibromyalgia and arthritis as well as a bad back. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • amw5471
    Options
    Caffeine is what keeps me going when I am feeling so tired. Does cutting out caffeinated diet drinks really help lose weight? This may be one of my big problems as well.

It wasn't what helped me lose weight, it helped my thyroid levels stabalize. Well who knows for sure but it was a variable, stopped coffee/tea/soda and I am not only able to recognize when I am truly tired and not crashing but my levels have been stable.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    <--- has autoimmune thyroid disease. Ticker speaks for itself.
  • Cskinner2
    Cskinner2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, I lost 35 pounds through eating right and exercise.DO not believe your friend. if you want it you can do it. It is not easy but you will.