Afraid to gain weight back

Options
So I've almost reached my goal weight. I would have lost 65 pounds by then, I'll probably get there in a couple weeks. I read that its been proven that it is much more difficult for someone to maintain a weight after they have lost so many pounds. Any tips on maintaining weight after such a dramatic weight loss? I have my settings at 2 pounds per week... I am thinking I may have to set it at 1 pound per week just to maintain.

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss. Make sure you up your calorie goal gradually and adjust where necessary. If you weigh and measure your foods, keep doing that - if you don't I would highly recommend it, as knowing what your intake is will be an important part of keeping yourself in maintenance by having an appropriate calorie goal.

Remain diligent in your logging and within your maintenance goal and you should be fine. Also, don't panic if you see a gain on the scale with an increase in calorie intake. This is a good explanation of why that might happen: http://.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut

Good luck OP, you've done a great job so far!
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day OP? I hope it's not something ridiculous like 1200 calories. Secondly, when you reach your goal why will you set your goal to lose one pound instead of setting it to maintenance? Chances are that your TDEE and BMR are both higher than you imagine. If you're going to eat a one pound a week deficit, you will probably just keep losing. I feel like you need to give this a bit more thought because you'll probably be depriving yourself unnecessarily.
  • pinkprincess3082
    pinkprincess3082 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would say that when people gain back any weight loss, it's because they go straight back to old eating habits. I know I've done it before. That's why maintenance is so hard, you're suddenly not on a "diet" anymore so you can eat what you want again, right? No, because that's what got you overweight in the first place.

Keep logging food!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just look at it the same way you are now... Exercise, count calories, just with more calories a day. Check the 'maintaining' forum too!