My Millionth time around!

Options
Good morning everyone. Oh and happy Friday! ;)

Here's my story...

I lost my mother when I just turned 5 years old. She died at 28 to AIDS. I figured I'd mention this because her loss plays a big part in my life. More positively then negatively. I compare myself to her in good ways but user her mistakes as lessons.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 8 years old. At the time, I was mad because I didn't understand my disease. I hardly ever took my pills. Which is on a daily basis for the rest of my life. My step mom and dad wasn't on top of me to make sure I took it. Ok maybe the first month or so but not thereafter.

By the time I was in the 10th grade and 16 years old I weighed 193 pounds. I'm only 5'4! I didn't weigh myself regularly and so when I heard this at the doctors office, I was stunned, shocked, and embarrassed for being so fat. That day I slept and cried. I'll never forget that moment.

By the time I was a senior in high school, I lost 20 pounds. At 170-173 pounds I felt beautiful. That school year I met my wonderful husband.

I got pregnant and shot up to 229 pounds!!!

On March 2012 I joined MFP. I started at 218 pounds. I reached 193. (Must be a lucky # lol). I started getting my confidence back. During this time I was a stay at home mom. Around July & August 2012, I was looking for a job and got employed. I stopped logging into my food diary. I stopped working out. I stopped caring. Weight loss was a thing of the past. But I never stopped coming here. I wanted to succeed but never put in the hard work.

So here it is 2 years later. I'm at 215 pounds and still consciously thinking about weight loss. I should be at my goal and maintaining instead I'm a failure that still roams through MFP. What makes me mad is that I continue to spend money on gadgets like an HRM or the new Zumba game for wii. I've bought me like 2-3 pairs of running shoes, so I could get excited to workout instead I use them for work. I had less "gadgets" when I lost weight in 2012 then I do now and I can't seem to want yo stick to the program.

Yesterday I read an article on here and it was talking about how to make this a habit and whatnot. The first step it said to really specify your goal and why!? I was thinking "oh cause I wanna be with my son and be healthy".

Well I've decided to take it slow!! I don't care if it takes me a year or two to reach my goal. I'm going to take it a step at a time. I'm working on logging my food diary. Then after 2-3 weeks, I'll work on adding in exercise. I'm not going to go in full force because I was come back crashing!

And here's my specific goal.

I want to reach 160 pounds by December 31st 2014. I want to learn how to eat healthy because I do not want to become diabetic. I want to learn how to eat because I do not want to continue my unhealthy relationship with food. I'm going to make working out a regular hobby! I want to boost my endurance so I can walk up a flight of stairs without feeling dizzy and out if breath. I want to do this so my son can adapt and live a healthy lifestyle. Im going to do this because I love myself enough to know that I'm worth it and because I love my family enough to show them that they have a strong mother and wife!

Slow always wins the race! A step at a time! Patience is virtue!

????????????❤️????

Sorry for any misspells and or fragments!

Replies

• BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I lost around 60 pounds a few years back by logging/MFP. Life happened (and keeps happening :laugh: ) and I gained it all back. Anyhoo...you seem to know what you want and exactly what YOU need to do to get there! Keep on keepin' on!:flowerforyou:
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm in the same boat! Third time around for me!

The first time I was in an abusive relationship and basically had to drop out of my normal life for six months to go to court and be shipped from house to house for my own safety. It wasn't feasible for me to be diligently weighing/ logging at this time.

Last year I tried again and made some progress but as you say "life happened" and I'm back in that place where my skirts are pinching and I have a limited wardrobe of things I can realistically wear...

The main thing is that we're back on the wagon! Welcome back and all the best with your journey :)
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! This is so hard because you have that constant reminder that "oh well if you would've just stuck to it, you'd be a success by now". I know that I am really hard on myself but it's because I know that deep down I can really do it!
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. It really helps to have friends who care and are supportive. I learned that it's not all about calories - it is more about giving your body the nutrition it needs so that it can function the way it was designed to. I have met many people with thyroid issues who were told they have to be on meds for the rest of their life and it's just not true! Your body protects itself from toxins (which are everywhere) and they only way it knows how to deal with the overload is to surround these toxins with fat and store away from the major organs. This is called visceral fat. The only way to fix this is to release toxins, and your body can do this naturally with the support of good pure nutrition.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ^^^ this is very helpful! I'm going Tuesday to see my doctor and I'm talking to her about my plans and to see what is and is not healthy for me to do.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!

To make matters worse my sister moved in with me while she is studying and we are about the same height... and I guess we WERE the same build until I started getting into bad habits.

So every day I just see this alternate-reality version of how I COULD look. But rather than get down about it I am trying to use it as inspriration. And one day I can steal back all the clothes she stole from me because I got too fat for them!

Good luck with the doctor and let us know how things go!
  • Stonekerry
    Stonekerry Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You go girl!
    Weight loss does seem to be a never ending battle, but like you, I am determined to look at it as a healthy eating lifestyle:smile: choice this time and take my time with it.
    Please feel free to add me if you want additional support. :smile: