Chickpeas?

Options
My Grandma is trying to be helpful and gave me a can of chickpeas because she heard that they were "good for you." Unfortunately, I've never had any in my life and don't have any recipes healthy or otherwise for them. Anybody have any healthy chickpea recipes they can share?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hummus! I'm too lazy to Google a recipe for you, but I imagine you dump the can in a food processor with a squirt of olive oil and some garlic (roasted) and maybe red pepper flakes.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipes but you can make hummus out of them or add them to soups/stews. I personally like them in salads. Maybe do a recipe search by ingredient. Link below for allrecipes ingredient search

http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?ms=1&origin=Home Page&rt=r&qt=i
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Chana masala? That's what I generally do. It's a chickpea curry. There are loads of recipes for it online to suit your tastes :)
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and roast them! Nice, healthy snack. Basically, just add some olive oil and spices and shake 'em up. Spread them on a cookie sheet, and roast them at 400 for about 1/2 hour or until they get crispy. But, they're not as good the next day (crunch goes away). I do still eat them and enjoy them the next day though.
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    hummus

chickpeas
    lemon juice
    garlic
    cumin
    olive or sesame oil

optional:sesame seeds
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    +1 for chick peas on salad. It would be the easiest to try out.

You will need:
    Lettuce
    Chick peas

Combine and enjoy.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hummus is always a good one but also if you like Indian style food you can knock up a nice Chana Masala. A lot of the time dried Chick Peas are shown in the recipe but you can substitute canned in a lot of recipes
  • jang711
    jang711 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Roasted Chickpeas make a great snack. Google this and you will find a bunch of ideas.:smile:
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Chana masala? That's what I generally do. It's a chickpea curry. There are loads of recipes for it online to suit your tastes :)
    This is what I usually do. Or I add them to salads for some extra protein. Or you can make hummus. Very simple to make and very good for you.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Big fan of putting them on my salad. Roasted with spices are also good as a snack.
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do different things with chick peas... you can add them to salad or my favorite is to add them to quina while its cooking with some fresh mushrooms. Otherwise chickpeas can be made into hummus
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and roast them! Nice, healthy snack. Basically, just add some olive oil and spices and shake 'em up. Spread them on a cookie sheet, and roast them at 400 for about 1/2 hour or until they get crispy. But, they're not as good the next day (crunch goes away). I do still eat them and enjoy them the next day though.

^^^This. I just made these last weekend. I did 1/4 parmesan cheese with salt & pepper. OMG. So good!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    you can throw them in curries, on salads, eat them by themselves, make hummus
  • Lemonshake
    Lemonshake Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have to agree hummus. Oh yum. Drooling.

Though I am so going to try the crunchy ones now!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas are my favorite salad addition. Another is making my own humus. Also, I add roasted chickpeas to my quinoa and veggie mixes sometimes. :)

I've also been experimenting with using them in baking (like black bean brownies but chickpea muffins instead) and they do...ok?
  • saraovoxo
    saraovoxo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    CHICKPEAS ARE MY LIIIIIFE
    honestly best goddamn peas ever

roasting them is really nice! also straight out of the can with some salt, pepper, lemon and hotsauce hehe
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make rice with chicken broth, add some chopped garlic, chopped spinach and a can of rinsed chick peas, and sometimes I add diced chicken. It's a nice little meal!
  • ashley_m_m
    ashley_m_m Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads is chickpeas with with grape tomatoes, spinach and broccoli. Drizzle with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and maybe some salt. Really filling and really yummy.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorite chickpea recipes are Holy Moly Hummus and Fantastic Feta and Chickpea Casserole....they are both in the MFP database and you can google for the recipes! Enjoy! :drinker:

Ok....edited to include this recipe:
    This comes from "150 Healthiest 15 Minute Recipes on Earth" by Jonny Bowden. Enjoy!

Fantastic Feta-Chickpea Casserole

2 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 large yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
    1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained
    3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 1/2 teaspoon prepared)
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 3/4 teaspoon dried)
    1/2 to 1 cup feta
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 7x 11 baking dish (I use an 8x8 pan). Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat and saute the onion for about 5 minutes. While onion is cooking, mash chickpeas coarsely with a potato masher or ricer in a large bowl until a chunky paste (or 10 seconds in a food processor).
    Add garlic and thyme to onions and saute for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium low and add mashed chickpeas. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon into the large bowl. Stir in feta, lemon juice, eggs, salt and pepper. (I like generous amounts of feta and lemon juice). Spoon into greased baking dish and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
    Serve with shredded zucchini, grape tomatoes and garlic. Cook zucchini and garlic in oil, cover and cook for 4 minutes, add tomatoes, recover and cook for 2 more minutes.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Cookie dough dip. Dead serious, Google it.