What the bloody hell is going on?

Options
Hi all,

I'm so stuck and feeling poo, and this is why:

I eat so much healthier than I use to and a lot less. I lost 6lbs but this has halted since before christmas. I gained a little then, but have since lost it again. Now I'm 148lbs and have been stuck on that weight since January.

My TDEE is about 1700 apparently (according to online calculators), but I rarely ever get to that figure. Maybe once every two weeks? I usually eat about 1500 calories.

I've started running 3 times a week, 3 weeks ago, before that I did barely anything apart from walk about at the weekends. I don't eat back my calories. I haven't lost a lb since I started.

I am 148lbs, and want to get to 130lbs initally. My Lean Body Mass is apparently 109lbs (again calculated on a calculator). So this goal isn't unreasonable. Ideally I'd want to be under 9stone but it's looking unlikely.

So can someone let me know what the hell is happening. I can't eat less as I can't concentrate on work, I can't exercise more frequently yet, as I'm not fit enough. I'm gradually building up my run times weekly.

Why haven't I lost any weight? What can I do? Will I just lose it eventually with my continued exercise??

I'm a very accurate food logger too, so it's not that. I also don't believe in all that tripe about big bones and genetic issues.

I just want to be fit and slim. Help me please guys!!!

P.S. I'm 5'6"

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I am assuming your TDEE -20% or 15% is 1700...not your actual TDEE.

1500 isn't so bad. You don't have to be fit to work out. Just get moving. There are all kinds of things you can do besides plain old running. Look up some HIIT videos on youtube.

Also, weight lift!
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It says that 1700 is my actual TDEE, as I haven't put in any exercise or that I wanted to lose any weight...

Do think therefore it's wrong??

Yeah, weightlifting won't happen I have no access to a gym. I'll have to buy some for home.

HIIT seems a good idea, and much more likely, I could slot a session in at the weekend!

• tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    It says that 1700 is my actual TDEE, as I haven't put in any exercise or that I wanted to lose any weight...

Yeah, weightlifting won't happen I have no access to a gym. I'll have to buy some for home.

HIIT seems a good idea, and much more likely, I could slot a session in at the weekend!

What calculator did you use to find your TDEE? Because TDEE includes your exercise and everything you do every day. Your BMR is how many calories you burn without any activity at all (think being in bed all day in a coma). Your NEAT is what you burn during the day without exercise.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I actually maintain around 1500-1600 because of my activity level in the day, so i need to stick to 1200 net just to lose 1lb per week. Last summer i was losing 1lb per week consistently by eating around 15-1600 per day and running/exercising off 300-400 cals, every day. When i didnt exercise or eat less to net the 1200, then i simply didn't lose the lbs. It could be a simple cals in vs cals out problem
  • DaniettaF
    Options

What calculator did you use to find your TDEE? Because TDEE includes your exercise and everything you do every day. Your BMR is how many calories you burn without any activity at all (think being in bed all day in a coma). Your NEAT is what you burn during the day without exercise.

I used: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lbm_calculator.htm

And did it as if I didn't do any exercise. But that's interesting, I did my BMR and it's 1471. Maybe I should be eating under this amount?
  • DaniettaF
    Options
    I actually maintain around 1500-1600 because of my activity level in the day, so i need to stick to 1200 net just to lose 1lb per week. Last summer i was losing 1lb per week consistently by eating around 15-1600 per day and running/exercising off 300-400 cals, every day. When i didnt exercise or eat less to net the 1200, then i simply didn't lose the lbs. It could be a simple cals in vs cals out problem

This is the news I didn't want to hear! May I ask what your height and weight is?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    - eat 15-20% below TDEE
    - weigh your food to make sure you are tracking it accurately
    - take your measurements - losing body fat and losing pounds are not the same thing - a scale is not a great measure of progress, instead keep track of the inches you lose
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you don't weigh your food.

And I have seen at least 3 days this month where you are over maintenance by a lot..usually weekends. If your TDEE is 1700

It's a matter of calories in being more than claories out...
  • DaniettaF
    Options

And I have seen at least 3 days this month where you are over maintenance by a lot..usually weekends. If your TDEE is 1700

This weekend was particularly bad, I admit. This is because I was out all weekend. I had been walking over the whole weekend also I just don't log it, so it might not be as bad as it looks.

As it goes for weighing food, I definitely weigh all my food that isn't from a restaurant. What makes you think that I don't? I weigh my cereal in the morning and log the exact amount. Then when I make my lunch it's all being weighed as it goes into my lunch box. Same with dinners. I have one those small electronic scales.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

This weekend was particularly bad, I admit. This is because I was out all weekend. I had been walking over the whole weekend also I just don't log it, so it might not be as bad as it looks.

As it goes for weighing food, I definitely weigh all my food that isn't from a restaurant. What makes you think that I don't? I weigh my cereal in the morning and log the exact amount. Then when I make my lunch it's all being weighed as it goes into my lunch box. Same with dinners. I have one those small electronic scales.

because I see lots of entries with 1c or 1 cutlet, 1 Burger, 1 Roll, 1/2c, 1 pastry, 0.3can, 1 pita, 1 banana etc...

Unless you eat out almost every day you need to tighten up your logging and even if you do go out doubling maintenance even if you are in a deficet for 2 weeks can make it so you don't lose...

Logging accurately means choosing the correct entries too.
  • Nickih4619093
    Nickih4619093 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You could try upping your protein, I was told to aim for at least 100 gr/day.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

And did it as if I didn't do any exercise. But that's interesting, I did my BMR and it's 1471. Maybe I should be eating under this amount?

To lose you should be eating 15-20% below TDEE. So if your TDEE is 1700, 15% below would be 1445
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Don't mind her... she creeped through my diary earlier this week and accused me of not weighing my food as well. Just ignore her... I'm sure you would know whether or not you weigh your food.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    30%protein
    10% fat
    40% carbs
    20% veggies
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    30%protein
    10% fat
    40% carbs
    20% veggies
    When did veggies become a macro?!

OP, if you are weighing your food and logging accurately, then my guess is that you are eating too many calories. If you TDEE is 1700 (sedentary), you should be eating ~15% less than that to lose weight. It will be a pretty small deficit each day, so the loss will be a little slow, and any slip ups could kill a weekly deficit.

You keep saying you calculate your TDEE as if you did not exercise. If you actually are exercising, you should be logging the exercise (since you did not account for it in the TDEE calculations) and eating back maybe 2/3 of them.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    30%protein
    10% fat
    40% carbs
    20% veggies

whuck????
    veggies are carbs ( and sometimes protein). and 10% of cals from fat is crazy low :noway:
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    nvm this post lol
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Don't mind her... she creeped through my diary earlier this week and accused me of not weighing my food as well. Just ignore her... I'm sure you would know whether or not you weigh your food.

If you are weighing all of your food, it should be logged in by grams, ounces, etc. not by cups, or slices, etc. That's why Stef is saying it's not all weighed accurately. It actually makes quite a big difference in your accuracy if you are entering food based on weight vs. measurements.
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options

You could try body weight training until you have access to weights. Check out You are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, and Al Kavadlo.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

No. After you find out your BMR, use the harris-benedict equationt to get a rough estimate on what you should be consuming every day. So if you are sedentary, such as little to no activity, then multiply your BMR by 1.2.
    A little activity, such as exercising/sports 1-3 times a week, then multiply by 1.375.
    If you are pretty active, 3-5 days at the gym, then then multiply by 1.55!
    There are more, you can look into it, but that should give you an idea of what to consume! Whatever number you get, subtract 500 for a pound a week, and that's what you should consume a day.
    Don't forget that you can indulge on the weekends, but don't go too crazy, because it DOES catch up to you. Hope this helped!