Under calorie goal and gaining?!?!

Options
So, according to MFP I'm way under my caloric intake goal. Someone mentioned that being not eating enough calories puts your body in starvation mode and keeps you from loosing weight. The past few days I've been trying to increase calories but noticed that I'm up a lb or 2 on the scale now too... What am I doing wrong? (I'm 5 7' and weigh 135 lbs which the last few days went up to 136.8!). Also I tend to drink a few cups of water through the night, is that a good idea? (I feel bloated if I drink all 8 cups through the day) Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

You don't need to lose weight.
    You are at the low end of a normal weight range.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    A couple of things:

First, at 5'7" why on earth do you want to lose weight? :noway: :sad:

Second, (sorry if this sounds harsh) why bother using a tool like MFP if you aren't going to follow its recommendations? 800 calories per day IS NOT NEARLY ENOUGH for anyone to subsist, let alone someone who exercises and breast feeds a newborn. If you just don't feel hungry, then make sure you are eating full fat dairy, nuts, etc. I promise doing so will increase your calories!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. I see you are breastfeeding and your current goal is 2000 calories...you are eating less then 1k...and breastfeeding...

The quality of your milk is being down graded everyday...I do hope that the baby is being supplemented with formula. Not only are you underfeeding yourself with sub 1k calories you are not giving your baby what they need. Eat food ..not diet food..stop drinking protien shakes and eat some bacon and eggs and drink some whole milk, eat some ice cream, pizza, eat the whole dam cupcake...stop dieting to an extreme while you are breastfeeding.

Starvation mode is a myth your body will not hang onto fat from lack of food otherwise people wouldn't be skin and bones when starved.

My suggestion is eat some food if not for you then for your child who you are feeding too. At 135 and 5 ft 7 you don't need to lose weight...if you are soft and squishy and don't like that what you are needing is more protien and more resistence training to lose fat not muscle.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. I see you are breastfeeding and your current goal is 2000 calories...you are eating less then 1k...and breastfeeding...

The quality of your milk is being down graded everyday...I do hope that the baby is being supplemented with formula. Not only are you underfeeding yourself with sub 1k calories you are not giving your baby what they need. Eat food ..not diet food..stop drinking protien shakes and eat some bacon and eggs and drink some whole milk, eat some ice cream, pizza, eat the whole dam cupcake...stop dieting to an extreme while you are breastfeeding.

Starvation mode is a myth your body will not hang onto fat from lack of food otherwise people wouldn't be skin and bones when starved.

My suggestion is eat some food if not for you then for your child who you are feeding too. At 135 and 5 ft 7 you don't need to lose weight...if you are soft and squishy and don't like that what you are needing is more protien and more resistence training to lose fat not muscle.

^^ This
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Yep. I'm 5'7" and 135 would look too skinny on me. In my opinion, breastfeeding comes first, and weight loss second. I tried to diet after I had my daughter back in July and my supply suffered, so I took a step back, bumped my calories up to maintenance and just tried to be more healthy for awhile. I'm back to trying to lose and still nursing my daughter and it's working much better this time since I'm being smart about it and still eating.
  • cloverfield4
    cloverfield4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Please listen the previous posters. Your milk quality is going to tank (if it hasn't already) from your starvation diet. You are not doing yourself or your baby good. Please, please seek help, your thinking is distorted if you think your current diet is ok. Distorted thinking is what Eating Disorders do best. You need someone else, preferably a professional, to help you see the truth.:heart:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

^^^^^ THIS!!! You are eating way too little for a breastfeeding mom.
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more and definitely drinking more water. You really haven't "gained" weight, it's just 2 pounds. That is just a weight fluctuation. Give it a few days and you will be down again.

Also, I don't agree with "starvation" mode completely but it is not a myth that if you consistently give your body less and less calories, your metabolism and bodily functions will suffer. You will not burn calories as efficently. Your body does learn to adapt. Yes, there are people that are skin and bones but at some point, the body will stop losing weight and hold on to everything. A lot of anorexics actually die because they can't lose anymore weight eating 100 or 200 calories a day. In their minds, the only thing they can do is eat nothing at all and that is when a lot lose their lives. Eating too few calories may work and not necessarily put you in "starvation mode" but it does slow down you metabolism, even temporarily. That is scientific fact.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more and definitely drinking more water. You really haven't "gained" weight, it's just 2 pounds. That is just a weight fluctuation. Give it a few days and you will be down again.

Also, I don't agree with "starvation" mode completely but it is not a myth that if you consistently give your body less and less calories, your metabolism and bodily functions will suffer. You will not burn calories as efficently. Your body does learn to adapt. Yes, there are people that are skin and bones but at some point, the body will stop losing weight and hold on to everything. A lot of anorexics actually die because they can't lose anymore weight eating 100 or 200 calories a day. In their minds, the only thing they can do is eat nothing at all and that is when a lot lose their lives. Eating too few calories may work and not necessarily put you in "starvation mode" but it does slow down you metabolism, even temporarily. That is scientific fact.

It is a myth...

adaptive thermogenisis takes a while to happen...but what doesn't happen is your body doesn't hold on to fat or msucle when you are starving...

As for when people die it's when their organs give out not when they stop eating food altogether...

As for your reply to tell her not to worry about it when she is breast feeding and eating 800 calories net...is imho flippant on your part and if you wanted to respond to help the poster most of your post would have been encouraging her to eat not argue about "starvation mode"
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    A lot of anorexics actually die because they can't lose anymore weight eating 100 or 200 calories a day. In their minds, the only thing they can do is eat nothing at all and that is when a lot lose their lives. Eating too few calories may work and not necessarily put you in "starvation mode" but it does slow down you metabolism, even temporarily. That is scientific fact.

Just wow what an ignorant post :O

Op, as others have said you need to eat properly if you are breastfeeding, no matter whether you gain a little or not your baby should come first...
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    First MFP sets you up at a reasonable deficit so you will lose weight. There is no need to eat that far below your goal, especially while breast feeding. Second, you need more fat in your diet, it is not the enemy. Add more meat, fish, nuts, full fat dairy, etc. It will help you get closer to your goal without adding a lot of bulk to your diet. Have more than a protein shake for breakfast, find a good whey protein rather than a premixed shake, make your own shakes and add some peanut butter or almond butter to them.

You are at a normal weight. If body fat is a problem you needs to start lifting, diet won't fix body fat. All you are doing now is losing lean body mass and a little body fat so you may lose 20 lbs but you won't have the body you want.
  • jgsimon1
    jgsimon1 Posts: 61
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone who's replied to this......breastfeeding burns a lot of calories alone.....and you need to eat frequent healthy meals to keep producing quality breast milk for your baby.
    135 is a really healthy weight. Do some toning and stay off the scale!!
    I've started really trying to buy organic food when I can. I didn't think much of it until I bought some organic low fat milk to try it.....I was shocked at how much fresher and lighter it tasted than regular milk. There are so many ways that you can incorporate healthy eating into your diet without starving......
    Eat smart calories and keep moving.......you'll be happier with your results!!!
    :)
  • JAVAGIRLSS
    JAVAGIRLSS Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I should have added that I used to have an eating disorder so this is eating a lot for me already. My baby is def important to me and her health comes way above my own, but I need some ideas. After having her, I can't tolerate eggs or nuts. My breakfast protein shakes are all homemade (with cottage cheese) and I hardly ever eat out or buy premade food. I drink whole fat milk (or rather put it in recipes since I'm not a big fan of drinking plain milk). I also have low blood sugar so I can't do to much sugar (aka ice cream). Baby is gaining beautifully (above average actually is what her ped said!) but I want to keep her healthy and I know the only way she can do this is if I give her enough. I am not trying to loose a bunch of weight but neither gain (the reason I joined MFP was to help me see how I was doing with eating enough calories but sounds like maybe that was a bad idea).
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to loose a bunch of weight but neither gain (the reason I joined MFP was to help me see how I was doing with eating enough calories but sounds like maybe that was a bad idea).

I did not join MFP to lose weight either, I joined for the same reason as you. I do think it is a good idea, otherwise you would really have no idea how little you (in your case) are eating. It is great that your baby is doing so well! I am sure you want your baby to continue to be healthy and don't intentionally starve yourself to do her any harm, but I do think you should seriously think about what the others have said. I have never had children, but I wonder if your low calories now may have a delayed effect on her at some point?
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you are constipated or bloated, it could make your weight go up by a few pounds. Focus on your long term goals and don't weigh yourself all of the time, it is not the best indicator of your health. Also, with breastfeeding, you should consult a doctor if you are trying to do any weight loss so that they can guide you and provide supplementation where necessary.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Please don't be offended, but since you mentioned that you used to have an eating disorder, it might be a good idea to consider if you're falling back into it. Perhaps it's worth a checkin with whomever helped you overcome it in the past (therapist, nutritionist, etc.).
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

People who starve to death sure wish this was correct.

Unfortunately for them, you are wrong.

In a deficit your body will NEVER stop losing. Never. Even with a slowed metabolism, you'll still lose. You'll continue to lose fat, muscle, organs, and all tissue, save brain, until such a point that the body fails and dies.

There is no point, in a severe deficit, where the body "holds on to everything", and anorexics do continue to lose on a "100 or 200 calorie a day diet".
  • JAVAGIRLSS
    Options
    I am in regular contact with my Dr and he says we're making good progress. MFP has just really showed me how far I need to go yet, I guess... any high protein ideas? (other than eggs and nuts?)
  • JAVAGIRLSS
    Options
    Thank - you! It's encouraging to hear that someone feels along. About the delayed effect on my daughter - they say your body nourishes baby first so if anyone suffers, it's the mother. Also if she's gaining normally then there's nothing to worry about (ped and my Doc both said this).
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I am in regular contact with my Dr and he says we're making good progress. MFP has just really showed me how far I need to go yet, I guess... any high protein ideas? (other than eggs and nuts?)

Eat more meat.
    Some cereals are high in protein. I've been loving Fiber One original which I just eat plain. (I don't drink milk, either.) It's also high in iron which would probably be good for you.
    You should also try to get more vegetables and healthy fats like olive oil and avocados. You need those fats and so does your baby.
    One meal I love is a scoop of chicken salad with an avocado half. High in protein and healthy fat!