Question for the runners...

Options
I wouldn't really consider myself a "runner" even though I do it nearly every day....I don't have any special gear or fun looking shoes or know anything about those gross looking "gel" packages some people consume when they run....all that to say I was considering eventually doing a half marathon. I currently do at least 6k a day (unless the weather isn't safe for running in which case i still walk it) and on weekends when i have more time i'll do 10 to 12k a day. My question is, whats a reasonable pace to expect/aim for for a lady half marathoner? I did 12.5k in an hour and 22 minutes the other day which worked out to about 6:34 per Km. Today I did my 6 in 34 minutes for about 5:14per km but I don't know that I could expect to keep that up for 21k.....or should I?

Replies

• christawhelchel
    christawhelchel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do a half-marathon... I finished my first half in 2:18:00. Good luck!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of on-line pace calculators. Try http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/
    I've found it to be very accurate as long as you train for the distance.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 3 years now...half marathon times are around 2:00 hours...so a 9:20 pace for me..
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    You ARE a runner! :wink:
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 3 years now...half marathon times are around 2:00 hours...so a 9:20 pace for me..

that's 9:20 for a mile?
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    alright then....so about those gel things....necessary for the long haul? Here's my issue....if I eat or even drink water before/during a run, I feel super sick. If I don't have anything at all, I'm fine for the duration. That's fine for 6k, and it hasn't even been an issue up to 12 ish....but what to do if it comes to doubling that? I don't suppose it would be healthy to go without water that whole time. That said, because of my high blood pressure I do a low sodium diet and on many days come under the recommended minimum of 1500 mg...As I understand it, having too much water with not enough salt in you can cause issues as well....so maybe it would be better to go without? Too many things to have go guess about. lol.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would recommend consuming water during such a long run. It helps if you can take small sips rather than trying to gulp down a full cup at once. I also find the gels beneficial in long runs. I have done multiple 10-mile races and last year, I ran my first half-marathon in August and the second one in October. I think my times were approximately 2:14. I did test the gels during longer training runs...they can be kind of gross, so it helps to experiment with different brands to see which one might work for you. There are also those blocks that are kind of like gummy bears, but I don't like those as much....they stuck to my teeth and I felt like I was going to choke on them once. Whether you use the gels or blocks, be sure to drink water with them at the same time. Great job on all of your efforts so far - and yes, you ARE a runner!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    1. You are a runner.
    2. No need for gell stuff for half marathon distance.
    3. You have a great base to work from. No doubt you could easily train and do it.
    4. Time for your first doesn't matter. Just focus on finishing.
    5. Do get some decent running shoes. From a good store that specializes in running and can help fit you, if that's a possibility.
    6. I've run 4 half marathons, times ranging from 2:30:00 to 2:16:00. Going for a new PR in May. Hope to be in around the 2 hour mark. That seems to be the fat part of the bell curve.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really consider myself a "runner" even though I do it nearly every day....I don't have any special gear or fun looking shoes or know anything about those gross looking "gel" packages some people consume when they run....all that to say I was considering eventually doing a half marathon. I currently do at least 6k a day (unless the weather isn't safe for running in which case i still walk it) and on weekends when i have more time i'll do 10 to 12k a day. My question is, whats a reasonable pace to expect/aim for for a lady half marathoner? I did 12.5k in an hour and 22 minutes the other day which worked out to about 6:34 per Km. Today I did my 6 in 34 minutes for about 5:14per km but I don't know that I could expect to keep that up for 21k.....or should I?

I only know American and don't math metric stuff, but for you first, you should aim for completion and adjust from there.

Fun looking shoes can prevent injury. Especially if by "fun" you mean "fitted for your foot."

Gross looking gel packages are mostly unnecessary, but they make people feel better and some have caffeine in them. They are for topping off your quick energy in a fast-digesting formula.

I dunno what a "lady half marathoner" should be timed at, but some on my friend list are ridiculously fast, for lady marathoners. And they have fun looking shoes too.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    alright then....so about those gel things....necessary for the long haul? Here's my issue....if I eat or even drink water before/during a run, I feel super sick. If I don't have anything at all, I'm fine for the duration. That's fine for 6k, and it hasn't even been an issue up to 12 ish....but what to do if it comes to doubling that? I don't suppose it would be healthy to go without water that whole time. That said, because of my high blood pressure I do a low sodium diet and on many days come under the recommended minimum of 1500 mg...As I understand it, having too much water with not enough salt in you can cause issues as well....so maybe it would be better to go without? Too many things to have go guess about. lol.

This is why you train, so you can figure out what your body can take and what it requires for longer runs. Experiment with stuff during your training, because you can't on race day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

that's 9:20 for a mile?

For her. Pay it no mind though - it's irrelevant to you at this point.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I REALLY liked Hal Higdons beginner plan for half marathon training - as you increase your milage you may want to run every other day rather than daily to allow recovery

You will need to drink water for a half marathon - but you do not have to do gel - gatorade is just as good if you can tolerate that - try sipping rather drinking large amounts in one go

If you can not tolerate any sports food you can eat a couple of fig newtons or a banana

eating a little more carbs and hydrating well the week before a long distance race is just as important as race day food and hydration
  • taekwondomom1961
    taekwondomom1961 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 hours 8 minutes to do my half marathon last year. I was still pretty heavy and I jogged 2 min., walked 1 min. Everybody in my group was aiming for under or right at 3 hours. It's quite an accomplishment! You can do it!

On a side note: Those gel packs are nasty! But if you do use them, be sure you drink water with it. I ate one and didn't have water for a short time and I thought I would be sick. It just sat like a lump in my stomach. They do make the gels that are like gummies. They taste pretty good and sit better in your stomach. Although you're still supposed to drink water with them.

Good luck!
  • taekwondomom1961
    taekwondomom1961 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    And they usually have water stations throughout, so you can grab a small cup of water and keep going without having to carry water with you. I guess that could be different in each run though.
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner!

I think how you fuel for a race is a very personal thing. I don't mean 'top secret', it's just that everyone is so different in terms of what works best for them. When it comes down to it, you need to do whatever works best for you!

For my first two half marathons, I used energy chews which were ok. I had never tried the gels until I started training for a full marathon, and as I became more comfortable running that 9-12 mile distance I realized that I don't need as much fuel (aside from some water) during the run. If I eat well the night before, and have a good breakfast (oatmeal. I have no idea how people eat peanut butter before they run) about 1.5 hours before running I'm good.

Again, for your first race if you think you need them - try them, but, just because that's what you see other runners doing doesn't mean it will be correct for you!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    You are a runner, and completely ready for a 1/2 marathon.

I'm working though a hal higdon training plan for mine.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

I do use the gross gel things. Just buy them at a running store or online. I can't eat anything before I run either. Except those and sports beans. When training I'll take one at mile 5 if I am going to be over a 10 mile run. Not really needed though.

So try sports beans:
    51Bas2WCNeL._SX300_.jpg
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1. You are a runner.
    2. No need for gell stuff for half marathon distance.
    3. You have a great base to work from. No doubt you could easily train and do it.
    4. Time for your first doesn't matter. Just focus on finishing.
    5. Do get some decent running shoes. From a good store that specializes in running and can help fit you, if that's a possibility.
    6. I've run 4 half marathons, times ranging from 2:30:00 to 2:16:00. Going for a new PR in May. Hope to be in around the 2 hour mark. That seems to be the fat part of the bell curve.

^^This.
    I didn't consider myself a real runner either. Yes, you are. You don't have to meet a pace or a distance to call yourself one.

Look at half marathon training programs, there are a whole bunch online. Compare them and choose one that sounds reasonable to you. For me, I started with a solid 10k base (like you have) and added a mile a week to my long run once a week. This got me through my firs two half marathons last year,

I don't like gels but I do like gummies and jelly beans. Try out different things and see what works for you. I know a lot of half marathoners who do nothing more than half of a banana before their long run.

Shoes, yes, please get properly fitted. It makes a huge difference.

Good luck and have fun.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    thanks all! i'll have to look for those beans. never heard of 'em