Calories Burned???

Options
What equipment or app do you use to show how many calories burned from excercising?

Replies

• saraovoxo
    saraovoxo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I got my self a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor, it's basic and useful at the gym! There are loads of different other things you could get. Google some heart rate monitors and see what best fits you/budget etc..
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor. A lot more accurate than using the calories-burned-vs-minutes in the cardio exercise section.

Pretty cheap too in comparison to others I've seen. $25 @ Walmart.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit for all day calorie burn but when I exercise I also use a Polar ft 7 heart rate monitor and love it .It takes the guess work out of how many calories I have burned.
  • wub726
    wub726 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT 7, it syncs with the web and keeps track of the data. I have been using mine for over 4 years and love it. It is in the $140 price range and you will need a Polar Flowlink if you want the data downloaded. Great investment.
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    HRM for sure. I am into running so I typically use my Garmin 620. Also have the Polar FT 7 and have never had any problems with it (other than changing the battery). Good investments in my opinion.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between the Polar FT 7 and the Fitbit? I'd like to buy something that accurately counts how many steps I take and how many calories I've burned. Are there any generic products that do the same as accurately?
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor. A lot more accurate than using the calories-burned-vs-minutes in the cardio exercise section.

Pretty cheap too in comparison to others I've seen. $25 @ Walmart.

Do you know the brand name of the monitor? I think I may go there today after work & check it out.
  • wub726
    wub726 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here is a thread on the comparison of the two. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/848530-fitbit-or-polar-ft7
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Polar FT4, but looking into either polar loop or garmin vivofit.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    polar FT7
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between the Polar FT 7 and the Fitbit? I'd like to buy something that accurately counts how many steps I take and how many calories I've burned. Are there any generic products that do the same as accurately?

The fitbit won't accurately track calories burned during exercise unless all you do is walk/run. The FT4 won't count your steps. I have a fitbit and just ordered a Polar FT4 to accurately count my calories burned during strength training/cycling/yoga etc. I wear fitbit all the time, and will just use the HRM when doing workouts.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I got my self a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor, it's basic and useful at the gym! There are loads of different other things you could get. Google some heart rate monitors and see what best fits you/budget etc..

I agree!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar H7 HRM. I was using the Wahoo Fitness app to link to it and track calories. But I just got the Polar Loop activity tracker and linked the two together and it tracks more accurately than the generic app did.

ETA: I only wear the HRM during exercise...wearing the Loop all the time. Just wanted to clarify that :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

It depends what you're after. If you just want a good idea of your calorie burns during cardio, then an HRM is more suitable.

If you want a good idea of your TDEE the Fitbit would be more suitable. Fitbit calculates your daily calorie burn based on steps.

If you want to know about burns for weight training or HIIT, then neither are accurate.

Personally I prefer Fitbit as it encourages me to hit my daily step goal. However I also have an HRM to track cardio activities such as cycling, swimming, etc.