I need to talk to someone who's been successful with Bipolar

Options
I was just diagnosed and I don't know what I'm suppose to do.

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The general answer is take your meds and talk to your therapist about coping skills. That's what I do, and I've been pretty balanced lately. Feel free to ask me more specific questions, though.
  • tat20
    tat20 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at age 8. I am now 24. Been on and off medication for the last 16 years. Personally therapy is pretty useless to me at this point. It was a genetic thing, so I adjust my medication when I need to and keep on truckin'.
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    They have me on Klonopin and Adderall.
    I can hardly keep friendships going in real life, let alone a relationship. And I don't notice my spells. Luckily my doctor has noticed that my sleeping cycle doesn't affect my mood like it does most others. I was just wondering if there was anything I needed to know..or do. This is all new to me.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There's actually a "Bipolar for Dummies" book out there. A good friend of mine who's been living with her diagnosis for years said it was helpful. It might be a good place to start.
  • Artaxia
    Options
    oh thank you. :)
  • tat20
    Options
    I was on Klonopin for social anxiety disorder before, Adderall for ADD. Right now I'm on tegretol, Celexa, and trazodone. I usually tend to lean a lot more on the depressed side, so I have to be on mood stabilizers and anti depressants. I also have chronic insomnia, that's what the trazodone is for. I'd say since you are in the beginning, I would keep a journal and write down how you feel everyday. If you feel too depressed or even manic, write it down. Then you can take this to your doctor so you will have something to go off of. This was they can adjust your medication accordingly. From personal experience, what you are on now, is probably not even going to be what you are on a year from now. It takes a lot of trial and error to find a combination that will work properly to allow you to have a normal functioning brain. Have you been diagnosed with anything else, or just bipolar?
  • Artaxia
    Options
    aside from the bipolar I've been diagnosed with social anxiety, generalized anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder, add and "general depression". which I didn't understand teh general depression one. Because I'm not depressed in general. I am either awesome feeling or I am not motivated to do anything and i let eeverything fall, including my school assignments and my housework. I'll do only what needs to be done. I need some discipline that's for sure.

klonopin makes me feel awesome. the addreall helps my brain shut up, like literally shut up. I feel like my brain never turns off. i have to sleep to nursery music now.
  • lily_swenson
    lily_swenson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Damn get off the adderall! How are they allowing you to take that? Why aren't you taking an SSRI?
    on another note - a diagnosis is just that. It doesn't change who you are..
    My mother is bipolar and she is doing great (with medication)
    I suffer from depersonalization disorder (DPD) and bulimia and am doing MUCH better..
    honestly if you exercise, eat better, (try) to get enough sleep, and keep your space clean you will feel better! that's my personal advice
  • tat20
    Options
    Man I wish there was something that would shut my brain up! It sucks =(
  • Moosello
    Moosello Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm bipolar as well (diagnosed bipolar II rapid cycling). I was on meds for a while, but decided to get off (not recommended for everyone). Things that help me keep stable:

- Exercise
    - Eating right
    - Keeping a good sleep schedule which includes wearing a sleeping mask to keep light out
    - Less alcohol (some say you shouldn't drink at all because it can be a trigger)
    - Less caffeine

For me, I can tell when I'm depressed, but I can't tell when I'm manic. My husband can and he will let me know. This helps because the more I'm aware of it, the better I can determine what might trigger things. However, sometimes nothing triggers it and things just get crazy.

All the other diagnoses you mentioned can be attributed to bipolar.... I would see how the new medication works and some of those issues might go away.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't have Bipolar Disorder, but I'd still like to say some things, if you don't mind. I'm training to be a psychologist, but I am by no means a professional at all. I also struggled with unipolar clinical depression and a dual, comorbid anxiety disorders (GAD and panic disorder NOS--which, for me, means I have intermittent agoraphobia and that's all the NOS is for, since PD is usually classified "with" or "without" agoraphobia). And I have a few friends with Bipolar Disorder and I learn a lot by watching them.

Were you diagnosed with type one or two? Knowing which one is key for managing your symptoms.

First of all, you're still you with the diagnosis. It literally does not change you or define you. You've likely always had BD, it's just that the diagnosis is finally coming to you, however many years later. The label is for clinical and treatment purposes. You are still responsible for your actions, life, and behavior, including compliance with treatment that will help you get a handle on your disorder. That does not mean you chose BD and it does not mean you're responsible for the sick parts of your brain chemistry--it simply means you are still in the driver's seat in your life, but you have a passenger you cannot get rid of. Compliance with whatever treatment your doctor recommends is what makes sure that passenger does not become the backseat driver.

Get a mood chart (they are free online & you can print them out or find one that you can log into and use strictly online). You can track your symptoms on that, list your medications, doctors & their numbers, emergency numbers in case of a suicide emergency or in case of an accidental overdose, etc. I think PsychCentral has a pretty good one. Just look for "mood chart" or "bipolar disorder mood tracker." You can then show this to your doctor to se how responsive you are to treatment.

Remember that your doctor may have to try several medications before one fits for you. Medications take time to become effective, too. There won't be an instant change. You can still diet and exercise on medications, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. When you see "weight gain" listed as a side effect, remember that medication trial scientists and doctors must list every potential side effect from what they've observed & what trial patients have reported from the study after it ends & then they must list it as a SE once the drug goes onto the market. Don't panic. Psychotropic medications generally do not affect your metabolism, so unless your doctor tells you otherwise, any and all weight-related side effects are from a deficit, maintenance, or surplus of calories. Of all the medications I've tried, I never gained an ounce "from" the medications. I gained the weight from no longer being too depressed to eat. Whenever I said I gained weight "from taking medications," I wanted an excuse for having gained 40-80 pounds in about four years. We need to own our actions--owning mine in this instance helped me kickstart a successful weight loss journey. When I had nothing to blame but myself, I had nothing to help me but myself--how refreshing & empowering!

Keep a journal. Call someone or just go straight to an ER if you think you're going to harm yourself or someone else. If you're cutting or otherwise self-harming like I was, get help immediately. It's a horrible problem to have. Stay on your treatment plan--medication, therapy, everything. Mental illness is an illness like diabetes. My dad is a type one diabetic & he can't go off his medications anymore than I can stop treatment for my depression & anxiety disorders. Keep supportive friends and family in your network--you need a support system; I would suggest revealing your diagnosis to only a few close loved ones (only people you could call in an emergency & who are not judgmental) because some people honestly can't be trusted with stigmatized disorders like mental illness.

If you're in college, choose whether or not you want to go to disability services. Maybe you need extra exam time because your medication makes you sluggish for a little while. Maybe you need some leniency for extensions on projects or for missed classes. Don't abuse this system, though. If you don't need it, don't use it just because it's there--DS might have a limited number of people who can help students by proctoring secluded or extended exams or tutoring. If you do need it, use it. Remember, your enrollment and utilization of DS is not on your school record and cannot be used for or against you in the future (graduation, employment, etc).

Don't isolate yourself. Get involved. Become or stay employed (and in a place that does not aggravate your symptoms--for me, I had to get out of hectic customer service because my anxiety went through the roof and mean customers didn't help with my depression or self-esteem, so I ended up quitting after a few weeks or months). Keep your living space clean. Have a hobby you love. Find a passion, or even a second/third/fourth one! Don't burn bridges with employers or friends/relatives. Remember you didn't ask to be sick and it isn't your fault that you are sick--but do remember that you are still responsible for your actions. These things are tremendously important to your wellbeing and ability to stay balanced.

If you seek out online support on a message board strictly related to mental illnesses, choose wisely. Some of those groups are filled with people who could just bring you down. I was a member of a forum where people made their illnesses their identity, they competed to be the "sickest," and wallowed in their misery with no intention of seeking treatment. It was a place to be attention-seeking and competitively ill (like, I cut more/deeper or I've been hospitalized more times than anyone else, I've tried more medications than anyone else, my illness is more severe because I've decided it's medication-resistant after going on only two meds, I've been sick longer than anyone else, I have more comorbid illnesses than anyone, etc) and not to heal. I got out right away because I was looking for real support. I also highly recommend staying away from places that romanticize mental illness and suicide and cutting/SI, like some parts of this website called "tumblr," which I've never been a member of but I have seen a lot of their stuff come up in image searches for projects I've done on depression awareness and it's SO triggering and romanticized. So tread carefully in that area. Maybe look on NAMI for in-person support groups in your area. If they don't have one for strictly BD, they will have one for general mood disorders.

You CAN do this. You are not worthless or helpless. You can shop around until you find the right therapist (it took me 3-5 until I found Deb). You may have to try several medications before one works--give any and all medications a few weeks to kick in, take them on schedule, and do NOT go off of them cold-turkey. If you go on a high enough mg of lithium, make sure you get your blood drawn as often as your doctor tells you to. Find a support network and use your resources. Protect yourself in any way you can if you ever experience the common BD symptom of hypersexuality--my cousin has BD and was severely hypersexual when she was a teenager, she had three pregnancy scares (that I'm aware of) from 14-16 after sleeping with random guys in a park by her dad's house; my friend and my client's cousin, both of whom are a little older than me and have BD, binge drink and sleep with guys they meet at the parties/bars they go to every weekend when they aren't on their meds, and my friend thinks she was raped once but can't prove anything at all because she never went to the hospital and was too drunk to know for sure what happened that night (and so was everyone around her--she doesn't remember getting home and only remembers waking up in her own bed later the next day, with vague memories of having sex with this guy we used to go to HS with). Another friend of mine with BD went out for drinks on her 21st birthday last year and couldn't stop drinking (she would go to work drunk) and is now in a treatment program for alcoholism. These are just stories and in no way do I mean to suggest anything (about you or anyone reading this) by sharing them.

I have to leave for work now or I'd keep going.

Everything will be alright. Best of luck to you, sweetheart.

:flowerforyou:
  • Moosello
    Moosello Posts: 15
    Options
    ^This is amazing advice! Thank you bumblebreezy. :)

I will second the part about making sure your job isn't going to aggravate your symptoms. I'm a programmer, some jobs are very stressful in my field due to deadlines and demands, some aren't. I tend to take the ones that have a good work life balance and less stressful deadlines because it keeps me sane.
  • Artaxia
    Options
    Damn get off the adderall! How are they allowing you to take that? Why aren't you taking an SSRI?
    on another note - a diagnosis is just that. It doesn't change who you are..
    My mother is bipolar and she is doing great (with medication)
    I suffer from depersonalization disorder (DPD) and bulimia and am doing MUCH better..
    honestly if you exercise, eat better, (try) to get enough sleep, and keep your space clean you will feel better! that's my personal advice

I take adderall for my ADD. I can't take SSRI or SNRI. The last time I was on them I almost killed someone. I get really angry and aggressive on SSRI/SNRI's. They bounced me to quite a few different ones and I reacted the same way on each of them. The Klonopin and adderall seems to work good together so far. I used to be on Ativan and Adderall, the ativan I would have to take more of because they didn't last very long. So far with the combination I've been doing pretty well. My brain shut up. I feel weird and at peace. It feels strange that I am now quiet... lol

What is depresonalization? I've never heard of that before.

I try to exercise every day, however I did fall into a rut for a couple of days and didn't exercise but I have been eating pretty healthy. Sometimes I will have something I shouldn't have, but that would be on a day where I exercise. Because I would feel super guilty if I didnt...
  • Artaxia
    Options
    I'm bipolar as well (diagnosed bipolar II rapid cycling). I was on meds for a while, but decided to get off (not recommended for everyone). Things that help me keep stable:

- Exercise
    - Eating right
    - Keeping a good sleep schedule which includes wearing a sleeping mask to keep light out
    - Less alcohol (some say you shouldn't drink at all because it can be a trigger)
    - Less caffeine

For me, I can tell when I'm depressed, but I can't tell when I'm manic. My husband can and he will let me know. This helps because the more I'm aware of it, the better I can determine what might trigger things. However, sometimes nothing triggers it and things just get crazy.

All the other diagnoses you mentioned can be attributed to bipolar.... I would see how the new medication works and some of those issues might go away.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions.

I told my best friend to tell me when she notices episodes with me. I'm currently taking my medicine. It's day one. I feel zen after taking my klonopin. It feels weird though, becfause that's not my 'normal' feel.

Thank you for your tips. :)
  • Artaxia
    Options
    bumblebreezy9

Thank you so much for that post. That was really insightful and helpful.
    Luckily I haven't done too many stupid things. But now that you mention drinking, when I do drink, I get blackout drunk and can't stop. But then I don't touch alcohol again. Unless I'm going out to get drunk...which I haven't in over 2 years.

I appreciate it!!!
  • MusicDreamsThoughts
    Options
    Talk, Talk & Talk.

You are NOT a burden and people care,

Use those around you to lift you up.

Love x
  • Artaxia
    Options
    Thank you. I have to resort to forums, since I don't have many people in my life.
    I tried to talk to my mother about it and she completely shut down and said there was no way i could have bipolar disorder because she's perfect and stuff. Don't get me started -_-

I'm glad I have MFP to say the least.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    talk to your therapist and take your medication if that is what you are supposed to do. HOWEVER I know that I feel SHOCKINGLY HAPPY when I eat close to vegan and Dr Joel Fuhrman's anti cancer GOMBS diet (bitter greens, collards, kale, turnip tops, watercress; onions, mushrooms, beans, berries and seeds). I wonder if people aren't depressed and just starving for nutrients so their synapses don't fire right or something like that? Regardless, diet changes are pretty simple to make. I also am very physically active 24 miles and 80 stairs weekly and 4 hours play non retirieving fetch so I have to chase the ball with my husky dog. Why not try both? Best wishes.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    talk to your therapist and take your medication if that is what you are supposed to do. HOWEVER I know that I feel SHOCKINGLY HAPPY when I eat close to vegan and Dr Joel Fuhrman's anti cancer GOMBS diet (bitter greens, collards, kale, turnip tops, watercress; onions, mushrooms, beans, berries and seeds). I wonder if people aren't depressed and just starving for nutrients so their synapses don't fire right or something like that? Regardless, diet changes are pretty simple to make. I also am very physically active 24 miles and 80 stairs weekly and 4 hours play non retirieving fetch so I have to chase the ball with my husky dog. Why not try both? Best wishes.

I'm glad that you have found what works for you, but that is absolutely not how depression works (well, as far as research indicates). Inadequate nutrition can contribute to depression, but to blame diet on depression completely underestimates the complexities of brain chemistry. Seeds aren't going to cure the sadz.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed and I don't know what I'm suppose to do.

I am not a professional by all mean - if you just recently started a medication regime it will take a couple weeks to adjust to it.

I would say eating a healthy balanced diet and getting some regular exercise is a basic prescription for anyone.

Find a good therapist if you feel the need or have your doctor recommend someone - there must also be some support groups out there for this sort of thing?

Don't isolate yourself...there are people out there who are going through the same things you are and I am sure that there are many who would welcome someone else to talk with.

We all suffer stress and anxiety to some degree and learn how to cope - you will find yours. Good luck to you OP! :flowerforyou: