Scale for Sale

Options
Will need a bucket without holes to pick it up though. LOL.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I've been under my calories all week and I haven't lost anything. I'm not sure if it's my scale, as it said I lost 1lb yesterday, then stood on it again and I had gained (from weight the time I weighed before) 2lbs, then that I was up 0.5lb. And then today (just to see if maybe the scale was just trying to piss me off) I gained another pound.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it the scale? I haven't done any exercising since I've rejoined MFP on 11/28, been drinking alot to an okay amount of water a day.

Replies

• gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself daily, even not weekly. I went through a period when I began in June and had same issues as you. I then waited a month, I just stayed on my exercise plan and within my calories and when I did weigh myself I had lost weight. Now almost 6 months later and down 24 lbs. Don't worry so much about the scale. Just follow the calories and you will lose weight.
  • krystie99
    krystie99 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Trying weighing yourself less frequently... they say you should weigh only once a week (but who has that kind of self control hahaha)... maybe every third day or so. Your body can fluctuate due to hormones, stress, sodium among other things. So don't let the scale get you down, you said you've been under your goals and drinking all your water! Congrats on that, the weight will start coming off, just got to give it some time.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think you sound like it would be best if you set a time to weigh yourself. Fluctuations are common during the day or even week and unless you are familiar with your own patterns they can drive you crazy.

I also really think you need to "do something" to kickstart the whole weight loss thing. Add a walk or a little time on a machine or something, anything. Counting calories will eventually lead to weight loss, it is the most important thing you need to do, but exercising will make it so much easier and you will end up being fit and skinny, not just skinny.
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    My scale at home acts the same way. I usually use the one at the gym and dont weight myself as often.Stick to the plan you will be fine.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Using a scale is the tool to measure our success. It's almost impossible to try to tell ourself that the scale shouldn't be as important and shouldn't be the greatest measure of success but trying to retrain ourself from this fact simply isn't going to happen.

Here's my suggestion - Go to a place that has a more calibrated scale.

I experienced the greatest of frustrations with home scales. I first had a digital one and I could step on it three times in a row and it would measure something different everytime. It couldn't be trusted. So I got a scale with the needle that spins around and I think it's more accurate but I don't like that it's not as exact when compared to the digital scale. The digital scale gives me pounds and ounces. The manual scale just has a needle that pounds at a general pound and it's hard to see if there is a pound difference and sometime I HAVE to be thankful that there was a few ounce difference and I can tell that by the manual scale.

So although I still have both and will use them for a general idea. My specific weekly weigh-in days I go to a local gas station that has one in their bathroom (you know you put a quarter in and it tells you your weight and your lucky numbers. lol) But I weighed myself 3 times in a row (stepping off the scale each time) and they were all the same, so I trust it much more than my home scale.

And just for obsessiveness, I brave the mall on the first Friday of the month and go the GNC to use their scale and get a printout to post on the fridge or the mirror. That's really the one that means the most to me. I'm guess it's because it's done on a monthly bases and shows the greatest amount lost. Plus it's something tangible, if it's a piece of paper, it's something tanglable that I can hold in my hand.

Suggestions for finding public calibrated scales - (1) the ER at your local hospital. I know it sounds weird but there was a time where I wouldn't fit on a regular scale or even my doctor's scale. I simply went to the ER, where they check in patience and they were more than happy to let me use their scale, it was digitial. (2) Find a TOPS program in your area, I think they charged me a dime to weigh-in (cause I didn't feel I had anything in common with them enough to stay for meeting or join their program. Although I do have to say that they have THE BEST manual. I definately recommend THE CHOICE IS YOURS. (3) Your doctor should let you come in and weight there without charging you. I know mine would. (4) find a gas station like I do. that has one in their bathroom. (4) GNC

Scales are frustrating but keep up the good work.

Eva
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food log, and I would recommend you add sugar and sodium to your diary. You're eating a liot of pre-processed foods, and those can hide a lot of salt. You also use the quick add calories function a lot, but that makes it hard to track your nutrients. Try to take the time to list each food separately so you know exactly what you're eating. It seems you undereat your calorie goal by a lot most days. Obviously, that doesn't speed up weight loss. Try eating all your calories, but make them good ones. I don't know what's in the quick add cals, but I don't see any veggies in your log, and very little fruit. More fresh fruit and veggies provide vital nutrients and help fill you up. Eat a little cleaner and eat all your calories and you should see the scale start to move. Good luck!
  • amy_p
    amy_p Posts: 82
    Options
    My scale pissed me off last week, so I locked it away in the closet. When I finally figured it had enough punishment, I pulled it back out and it gave me a reading that I was very happy with. Sometimes, you just have to show the scale who's boss!

On a serious note, I put it away because I was stepping on it way, way too much. I put it back in the closet and will pull it out sometime next week.

You know the saying " a watched pot never boils"?, I figure it's the same for scales :-)
  • ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food log, and I would recommend you add sugar and sodium to your diary. You're eating a liot of pre-processed foods, and those can hide a lot of salt. You also use the quick add calories function a lot, but that makes it hard to track your nutrients. Try to take the time to list each food separately so you know exactly what you're eating. It seems you undereat your calorie goal by a lot most days. Obviously, that doesn't speed up weight loss. Try eating all your calories, but make them good ones. I don't know what's in the quick add cals, but I don't see any veggies in your log, and very little fruit. More fresh fruit and veggies provide vital nutrients and help fill you up. Eat a little cleaner and eat all your calories and you should see the scale start to move. Good luck!

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!!
  • ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You're hilarious, amy_p!!!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Great advice! I was going to type something along the same lines but you said it for me! One thing I will add is that MFP gives you a calorie target for a reason. It has already factored in the rate of weight loss you want, so eat as close to that target as you can. If you eat too little, your body will rebel and hold on to or gain weight. Also, depending on how much you have to lose, you might be trying to lose too fast....it happened to me. I scaled back my rate of weight loss and got going again. Good luck!