Pot belly abs

Options
Ok so how is it that some people can have visible abs with a potbelly? I am not just talking about guys here either. This morning i logged onto tumblr and saw a photo pf a chick doing tapout xt you could see ab muscles but she still had a large muffin top. my ex was like that too he wasn't a cardio man but he lifts heavy all the time and he still had a round belly though slimmer than before with abs on top, ive seen his recent Fb pictures and its worse his belly is quite fat really and yet i can see abs on top how is this possible?

Also want to know cause I do not want that at all i want lean abs not potbelly abs it doesn't look right at all, it looks like all that person has done is ab exercises and nothing else. When I figure out how to put a pic up ill show you what i mean.

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    haha

Everyone has muscle underneath the layer of fat

Some people have bricks because they either workout heavy or they engage in their core a lot when working out but you won't gain size that way.

I don't have bricks but I can see the lines :) But I'm fluffy right now so it's not visible as much

I love the way abs look, Women who have abs (((That's sexy)))) better then a muffin top :)
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Some people have big muscles underneath fat. Abs are just like other muscles in that respect. You can have big abs but still have fat over them.

Edit: Also heard that the way you hold them and breathe while working them can determine how big they get and/or how much they stick out. Some people's abs also stick out like a belly even though there isn't much fat over them, and I've heard it can be due to training them in such a way that they grow outward. Not sure if I buy it, but it sounds logical.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have this and I'm a girl :( what is the best way to get rid of that layer of fat?
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you lift "heavy" with compound lifts a lot, you get what's called a "lifters belly", It's really common amoung powerlifters. Also, just watch any World Strongman events, those guys also have huge hard stomach, but you can see there abs pop through.

In order to reduce that fat layer, it's all about reducing your BF%. Cals deficit, reduce sugar and sodium.
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you lift "heavy" with compound lifts a lot, you get what's called a "lifters belly", It's really common amoung powerlifters. Also, just watch any World Strongman events, those guys also have huge hard stomach, but you can see there abs pop through.

In order to reduce that fat layer, it's all about reducing your BF%. Cals deficit, reduce sugar and sodium.

Yea i think that is what my ex has got, i actually think lean abs is much nicer. So i think i can breathe easy im eating right im doing cardio and weights im not just working on area i do full body weights upper and lower x3 s week and cardio x3 a week so i dont think im going to run the risk of pot belly abs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    also- the top abs tend to come through before the lower abs do- pretty common to still have fat lingering lower- esp for women.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    How is it some folks have no visible abs but have obvious abdominal control?

Are visible abs just aesthetics then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2R0dkzkbzE
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How is it some folks have no visible abs but have obvious abdominal control?

Are visible abs just aesthetics then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2R0dkzkbzE

Bodyfat, and the rectus abdominis is like any other muscle in that it requires strength training with weights in order for them to grow in size.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    maybe worry less about what your ex has and does and shift that energy into focusing on bettering yourself. You'll be happier for it.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Because I have incredibly strong core and ab muscles, but I still have fat on my stomach. :ohwell: Nobody's perfect.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    also- the top abs tend to come through before the lower abs do- pretty common to still have fat lingering lower- esp for women.

Yeah, my top abs look awesome, but the bottom... :grumble:

Soon, though! <crosses fingers>
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You guys are all doing it wrong:

abhancer.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You guys are all doing it wrong:

abhancer.jpg

QFT

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There are some other possible explanations. The person in question might have moderate to severe lordosis in the lower back, making their stomachs bulge outwards. Or they might have a lot of visceral fat which is under the abs, rather than the subcutaneous fat (under the skin), which is the type we would usually think of as hiding the abs.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Fat abs here
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if I buy this one...Sara here on MFP lifts heavier than most any other woman I know, and she has a rocking set of abs that aren't boxy at all. I think it's simply genetics that decide how your muscles will form.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Or they get implants....ewwwww

article-2028752-0D85D24A00000578-511_634x410.jpg
  • You guys are all doing it wrong:

abhancer.jpg

ErrrrrrrrrrrmaGawd! I want this!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if I buy this one...Sara here on MFP lifts heavier than most any other woman I know, and she has a rocking set of abs that aren't boxy at all. I think it's simply genetics that decide how your muscles will form.

Male competitive powerlifters or Strongmen have this a lot. Most don't bulk and cut to lean out like Sara does.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Male competitive powerlifters or Strongmen have this a lot. Most don't bulk and cut to lean out like Sara does.

That's from steroids and gh though.