Cyclists: Is there anything like C25K for biking?

Options
srp2011
srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
I'm a runner and I'm very familiar with the C25K program and other like it - it's a great way to gradually build up your endurance. I'd like to take up cycling too, because I really want to be able to take multi-day biking vacations, but right now there's no way I would survive one, especially if there were hills, LOL. So, I was wondering if there was anything like a C25K training program for cycling, to help build up strength and endurance??

edit to add: If there's not a 'formal' program like that, any tips on how to get used to cycling and get to where you can ride several hours a day for several days in a row? Would spinning classes help, or do you have to have road miles?

Replies

• johnallen12
    johnallen12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K now and really like it for running. I also bicycle quite a bit and take fairly long bicycle tours every summer. I don't think you really need to do anything as programed as c25k to get yourself in shape for cycle touring. For one thing, cycling doesn't put as much jarring stress on the body as running does. I'd just suggest getting on your bicycle and start riding, generally increasing the distances over a couple of months and you'll be in good enough shape for a bicycle tour. I usually like to get at least 500 miles of riding in before I start a multi-week tour, but that just means riding recreationally in the area I live in and to and from work.
    As far as hills go, I recommend you use a bike with lower gears, especially if you're touring with a loaded bike. I use a Trek 520 on which I've taken the factory installed gears and had lower ones put on at my bike shop.
  • srp2011
    Options
    Thanks! maybe I'll just gradually increase time/distance, and try to add in some hills now and then. I guess I should figure out how to work those gears on my bike :-)
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Yup...just gradually increase the time/distance you ride from week to week. If you're a regular runner you will likely find that you can progress VERY rapidly on a bike. I really went gung-ho when I sprained my ankle during a trail relay. I couldn't run at all for 5.5 weeks and only minimally until about 3 months after the injury. But I could ride like mad, so I did. It didn't take long before I was ready to upgrade from my entry-level "comfort" road bike to a higher-end performance bike. In my first full year of riding I managed 3500 miles on my bike and 1000 on-foot.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I don't know of anything programmed like C25K for biking, but as the others said, just start working yourself up. Work up faster than you would running of course. Instead of adding fractions of a mile to each week, add at least a mile each week to start. Make sure you take your recovery weeks where your long rides are shorter than the past 2 weeks--you need recovery in those muscles just like you do your running muscles. As you increase endurance, adding 2-3 miles each week won't be so bad. Good luck!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I think you could safely add 10 miles/week, too, with regular easier weeks. Most Winters I try to maintain 30-50mpw on the indoor trainer. It really doesn't take long before I'm up to 60-70 miles/week once the weather gets nice. Then the jump to 100 mile weeks (or more) is really easy, from there.

Most people will tell you that 10 miles of running is like 30-40 miles on the bike, and that's pretty accurate, in my experience (assuming you're on a relatively lightweight road bike -- like 20#s or less).
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The standard plan of 3 weeks build / 1 week recovery works as well for the bike in my experience as it does for the run.

Also, the 2 mid week shorter sessions with 1 longer weekend ride also works well.

My current bike schedule looks like this:

Tuesday - Bike hill repeats (3 short hills (45 seconds), 3 medium hills (90 seconds), 3 long hills (3 minutes))
    Thursday - Bike tempo ride (20 minute warm up, a few intervals at race pace, a cool down)
    Saturday - Long Slow Ride (currently at 3 hours. built that up from 1 hour)

I build for 3 weeks in time and intensity (more hills, more intervals, longer slow ride) and then do a week of easy work.

Works for me, your mileage may vary :)

S
  • srp2011
    Options
    Thanks everyone - this is all really helpful! I can't wait to get started, and I see a bike trip through Napa wine country in my future :drinker:
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    glad to see this thread!

i'm trying to take up cycling too. i sometimes bike to work but have to walk the hills. i'd love to be able to ride the entire way.

is stationary bike riding any use? spin classes? or is outdoors really the only way to go?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    glad to see this thread!

i'm trying to take up cycling too. i sometimes bike to work but have to walk the hills. i'd love to be able to ride the entire way.

is stationary bike riding any use? spin classes? or is outdoors really the only way to go?

Yes, we use spinning bikes at my tri club to maintaining / build bike fitness over the winter. Another alternative, assuming you already have a bike that fits you well, is to get a trainer (or you're really adventurous .....rollers) to ride on in winter and then pisk up something like Spinervals or use some of the free videos on youtube.

Like running you want to alternate between shorter, faster rides; interval workouts; and long slow rides.

Outdoors is the best way to go but that's not practical for some of us (I'd love to be riding outside all year 'round)
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/your-training-plans

This plan popped up when I did a search. I know a couple of people who have done long distance charity rides and the charity gives them very specific training plans to get ready for the rides. Maybe they would be willing to share those plans though it seems like you've gotten a lot of good advice already here.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Century Tour de Cure ride in June. Here's a link to sample training they provide. Let me know if it doesn't work.

http://tour.diabetes.org/tdc12/sampletrainingprogram.pdf
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    yup -you guys rock. thanks for the plans!