135lb lost 3%fat gained 2% muscle in 3 weeks

Options
Hey all

I'm a 135lb 30 year old female who just started my fitness journey. I've been working out for about 10/11 weeks and recently switched up my diet to aim for 80grams carbs and 200g protein a day on the he advice of my trainer. I'm not tracking calories since he told me not to both just aim for the macros.

My workouts are as follows
Sunday -45 bootcamp which kicks my *kitten*
Monday - 30 mins circuits followed by arms in weight room
Tuesday - 45 min bootcamp and core
Friday - 1hr personal training session usually compound weights
Saturday - leg day in weigh room

I started out at 34% body fat and 29% muscle. Being weighed yesterday I had put on a kg from 60.5 to 61.4 but he has told me I've lost 3% fat and gained 2% muscle.. Presuming the other 1% is fat??

So my question is this up until 2 weeks ago I hadn't just used macros I was trying to keep to 1400 calories a day and eating as much protein as I could in that. I'm worried they I put some weight on even though I lost fat - this Could be pre change to my diet?? Should I be aiming for these macros - usually brings me in around 1700 calories??

My ultimate aim is to down to at least 24-25% body fat ie pre baby and have some muscle... Quads for dats would be a bonus!

Also in real terms eat is the poundage of my fat loss and muscle gain - does anyone know? Is the percentage just off my overall weight or 3% off the fat I already had?

Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• Venividivici2014
    Venividivici2014 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry all shocking spelling courtesy of my iPad! Is the 1% water? And what is the real term poundage of my losses

Thank you!! :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say this and its gonna come off as mean or rude but please understand that I'm not intending to be that way at all: Your trainer sounds like a goofball. Why does he have you restricting carbs in such a manner? 200g of protein? I mean...wut.

That said I'd imagine the weight gain is water retention, assuming your workout regime is new. It's certainly...intense
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The human body can't recomp that quickly. The machine that they use to measure is notoriously inaccurate. A personal trainer told me this and said to never trust the results.

However, you will see results pretty quickly if you keep it up. Particularly the lifting. Don't worry about the BF% number. Just worry about the image in the mirror.

You don't need 200 grams of protein. At 61 KG, you can consume 100-140 grams protein and achieve the same results.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    WHAT Achyra said!

a) at your weight, even with an intense workout, you do not need 200g of protein. hell, you would probably be perfectly fine at half that.

b) track your calories anyways. Even if you don't use MFP to guide your total calorie consumption, you should still be aware of what you are consuming and what you are burning.

ESPECIALLY if you are actually hitting your 200g protein - depending on what you eat (unless it's a lot of protein powder), you may be going way over.

c) carbs seem too low. I'd be miserable with that few carbs.

I'd recommend...
    Plug your data into MFP - and set your goal to maybe 1lb loss. (Don't go for 2lb, and maybe even consider 0.5lb).
    Consider setting activity to sedentary and then logging your exercise.

Weigh and measure your food.
    Regardless of what you choose to do with the protein levels... stay within your daily goal (being sure to eat back at least half the exercise calories.)

and most importantly:
    Take everything your "trainer" recommends with a grain of salt. Do your own research to make sure that what he is recommending actually makes sense... cuz so far.. it doesn't make much.

Good luck!
    p.s. the workout plan sounds pretty reasonable
  • Venividivici2014
    Options
    Haha no worries he is actually really nice and I think trying to help me maintain the muscle I had already built up before I started with him 3 weeks ago. When I've exercised and lost weight before I was a typical cardio bunny and restricted my food intake in a silly way. Trying to do things differently this time and well it makes me nervous eating so much more because the whole reason I started was to shift the rest of my baby weight.. I do look different but the scales haven't gone down they gave gone up it seems!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Haha no worries he is actually really nice and I think trying to help me maintain the muscle I had already built up before I started with him 3 weeks ago. When I've exercised and lost weight before I was a typical cardio bunny and restricted my food intake in a silly way. Trying to do things differently this time and well it makes me nervous eating so much more because the whole reason I started was to shift the rest of my baby weight.. I do look different but the scales haven't gone down they gave gone up it seems!

the scales going up is often common when starting a new program, especially if you are lifting weights where you weren't before. It could be the muscles repairing themselves.

I still recommend logging your food, because "eating so much more" and "gaining weight" could be as simple as you are eating more calories than you are burning.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    dangerously high protein levels to get skinny?
    I don't think so!:explode:
  • Venividivici2014
    Options
    I'm logging religiously and weighing every morsel of food I'm consuming as I figured the only person I'm cheating is myself and helps me stay on top of my macros.

I'm eating a lot of eggs whites, and a LOT of chicken with just one protein shake post workout. My carbs I'm getting from just fruit and veg with some oats in the morning sometimes if I'm rushing.

I wasn't sure about the exercise calories as you basically get next to nothing with weight train maybe just like a 100 and like 250-300 for the bootcamps?

Maybe your right about the water and I should just stick it out for another 3 weeks and see what happens??
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the numbers on the scale vice the way you look in the mirror. Let the mirror be your guide unless your goal is to weigh a certain number. Muscle will require more calories at rest to retain the muscle mass that you worked hard to get then being a fat couch potatoes. I think your protein is a little high, but if your clothes are getting bigger than you're on the right track.

Don't be afraid to try new things with your diet, because it's more than one way to drop body fat and gain muscle. Good luck.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I'm logging religiously and weighing every morsel of food I'm consuming as I figured the only person I'm cheating is myself and helps me stay on top of my macros.

I'm eating a lot of eggs whites, and a LOT of chicken with just one protein shake post workout. My carbs I'm getting from just fruit and veg with some oats in the morning sometimes if I'm rushing.

I wasn't sure about the exercise calories as you basically get next to nothing with weight train maybe just like a 100 and like 250-300 for the bootcamps?

Maybe your right about the water and I should just stick it out for another 3 weeks and see what happens??

oh, I wouldn't say to quit at all. You totally need to do it for more than 3 weeks.
    how many calories are you at a day/on average?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Actually, that is within the margin of error for using a BIA scale, I believe. And your fitness trainer should know this.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Actually, that is within the margin of error for using a BIA scale, I believe. And your fitness trainer should know this.

And yet he gave her some BS about 2% muscle gain. I wonder if he's just trying to 'fudge' the results to make his program look better. Which, considering that it looks fairly decent, he doesn't need to do.

Curious.
  • Venividivici2014
    Options
    Last weeks net 1547 - slightly higher than normal as I was comforting myself Sunday as I had someone break my nose with a medicine ball.....that hurt I assure you!!

I
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Last weeks net 1547 - slightly higher than normal as I was comforting myself Sunday as I had someone break my nose with a medicine ball.....that hurt I assure you!!

I

so you're getting a good number of calories, doing a solid workout, and getting enough protein. (albeit maybe too much)

I say, keep at it, looks pretty decent.
    Don't worry too much about the numbers for a while. :)