Getting the scale to move

Options
I have been watching my intake of calories and exercising 4-5 days per week (elliptical) and seeing no results. First week lost 4 lbs, second week 2 lbs, the third gained back the 2, and now the scale dont move. Can anyone tell me why? I have upped the resistance on elliptical too. Any tips or info from my fitness pal's brothers or sisters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• snailshoe
    Options
    How much exercising are you doing?
  • caliwood7
    Options
    I do at least 30- 35 minutes
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    Switch up your routine, shock the system so to speak.
  • caliwood7
    Options
    Is it too soon to see some results?
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Whenever I change up my routine, for a week or two your body needs to adjust. You're more than likely retaining a lot of water. It will change soon, I promise. Just remember..you are doing what you are supposed to do so you will see results!
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Could be hormonal, salt, etc. Some ideas - Drink LOTS of water (try for at least half your weight in oz or 64 oz minimum), watch sodium intake, mix up your work-outs, add in lunges, squats, free weights for biceps, triceps, push ups, crunches, etc. Keep your body guessing!
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Up how much time you are spending. If I spend less than 45 mins I better be doing jillian michaels. Also the third week is always the hardest. I think the biggest loser has a week like that too. Where almost no one loses. I forget which one. But they called it the curse at one point. Another thing for me, was that I had to watch my intake of fats. Once I started watching that I was okay. I could eat a lot more during the day. The resistance on the elliptical will most likely help burn more calories, but you really need to switch up your routine. Try going on the bike for the week, not the recumbent but try the spin bikes or the upright bikes. They are more uncomfortable but burn more cals. OR go on the treadmill and walk at an incline at 3.0-3.5.

Something else that helps is when you are on the elliptical and you do intervals. I do that on the treadmill and have seen good results. :)

But try to get to 45 mins of exercise if you can. If not do the Jillian Michaels shred. It took me a couple weeks but then I couldnt keep it on when I did it.

And if all else fails, and you go to a gym, ask one of the people who work there for advice. i know at my planet fitness the trainer will help if I need help.

Hope that helps.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hey there darling!

First off, make sure you are getting enough calories. I've made that mistake before. Either not eating my daily allotment or not eating the calories I burn by exercising. Recently I've been making it a point to do both and in one weeks time I've lost 2 pounds.

Second, IMHO, you need to mix it up! :o) I've read about this happening especially with the elliptical. Like rkorduner said, she HAS to do at least 45 minutes. Your body may be used to the routine already. Its not being pushed. I would suggest having a workout dvd to have as back up. Do elliptical (and if you can, put it on interval, that is the absolute best you can do for a good workout!) and every day add 3 minutes, but do it every other day. Then have your dvd as back up. Your body is smart. It gets used to what you throw at it and wants a new challenge. I love the 10 Minute Solution Dvd's because when I was first getting started I would do 10 minutes at a time and then take a break. They have all different kinds: Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing (my fav!), Cardio blast and more. I have found them at wal-mart and they are available to stream on netflix to a wii if you have one. You can also just rent them through netflix.

Good luck hunny!!! :o)
  • caliwood7
    Options
    Just a quick note of thanks for all those who replied and for those yet too.......You are all a Godsend!. xoxo