Large frame, hourglass, thin legs... what to wear?

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
So this is driving me nuts. I'm 36/31/36, 5'5", and I can't find pants that fit me. The size 6 jeans I have are too loose around my legs, but still give me a bit of a muffin top. All the fat I have left is pretty much in my hips (which is what I'm hoping to lose now) and my breasts (and there's a lot of loose skin on my belly)... I just have a large frame.

Is there any option short of wearing leggings and dresses/skirts (and finding dresses that look good on me is something else too!)? I swear at this rate I'll stock up on tunics and leggings next Fall...

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I have roughly the same proportions. I am 5'7" and I would call myself a medium frame pear shaped. As a skinny high schooler, I still had hips and a butt. It is just me. After dropping 30 pounds 2 years ago, I now have a size 6 waist with a size 8 butt :laugh:

I find certain brands are more designed for my shape, including Lucky jeans and Gap for work pants. Skinny jeans are a blessing with their stretch so they actually fit everywhere. At work and casually, I wear a lot of A-line dresses. they fit perfectly up top while skimming over my waist and concealing my larger bottom half. A particularly flattering dress on me is the Prana Quinn. Every year I buy a different pattern to add to my collection!
  • Francl27
    My butt is thin too! My jeans are loose there. It's just tight at the hips.
  • Francl27
    Bump!
  • Pencil skirt & loose floaty blouse?
    A line dress
    Bright skirt/ skinny jeans ( to draw attention to your slim legs etc) looser dark tops (to minimise muffin top)
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    I would try different rise and fit.
    I have exactly 2 brands in jeans I wear and no others.
    I have heard great things about the levi curvy ID, but havent tried them .
    I stick to nine west and tommy hilfiger. The both work well for me, i am 42-30-41. I have a serious difference in hip to waist! Lol

If you have an outlet store, try those brands. the tommy boyfriend cut is nice and almost all nine west.

I have yet to find a major store brand ( gap) or an easy to get brand ( target or walmart lines) that work for hourglass girls.

In dresses, wrap style dresses looking amazing on a small waist.
  • So this is driving me nuts. I'm 36/31/36, 5'5", and I can't find pants that fit me. The size 6 jeans I have are too loose around my legs, but still give me a bit of a muffin top. All the fat I have left is pretty much in my hips (which is what I'm hoping to lose now) and my breasts (and there's a lot of loose skin on my belly)... I just have a large frame.

Is there any option short of wearing leggings and dresses/skirts (and finding dresses that look good on me is something else too!)? I swear at this rate I'll stock up on tunics and leggings next Fall...
    This is not an hourglass you need a 10 in difference or more between waist and bust/hips and no thin butts your a rectangle but by those measurements you should look good in anything.
    I'm a kinda hourglass 43-28-41 and its hard to find clothes that don't make me look too thick not many styles fit these curves and good for sun I'm normally T-shirt shorts girl.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Do you sew? I tailor all of my jeans. Take them in at the waist and often in at the ankles because my calves are too big for standard skinny jeans. I helped a friend by adding a seam from get knee to her butt pocket to take in the extra leg baggage. You could likely pay someone to do it for under $20.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    I'm similarly proportioned. Right now, I am loving jeggings. Some people love them, some hate them, but they work great for my body shape and would probably work well for you, too.

Otherwise, I just suggest trying on and trying on different stuff across different lines of clothing. Different brands and different styles within brands. Try something with a bit of stretch - even just 1% spandex can do wonders if you are the type who has smaller but/thighs and larger waist. Also, if you do find a pant that fits well but gives a bit of a muffin top, I suggest a slimming tank top under your shirt and/or a looser fitting top to cover it. I do this often because otherwise I'd never have anything but saggy butt syndrome with regular jeans.