Trouble Slimming Down Butt and Thighs

Options
For all of you pear-shape ladies out there:

At what weight did you notice you finally started to lose that pesky weight on your butt/thighs? I know for pear-shapes, its typically the last place for weight to come off. I'm down to 137 (still have 10 pounds or so to lose), but still haven't seen much weight come off of my butt/thighs...its all coming off of my torso! I'm going to have ripped abs before I drop down from my size 10/12 pants! lol

Anybody? I appreciate the feedback in advance :)

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Arg! I can so relate. As you can see, my abs look pretty darn good IMHO in my profile pic. But trying to lose that last little bit of stubborn bottom fat has left the rest of me looking a little too lean IMO. The veins in my arms are sticking out so far it's a little embarrassing, and I'm starting to see every lean lump and bump in my chest and abdomen, but still have that stubborn bit of bottom jiggle. I'm thinking at my age, I may just have to settle. I haven't quite decided yet!

BTW, I am 5'6" and 124 to 126 lbs currently.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I have lost six pounds and all my pants are fitting baggier in the bottom. In other words I have less junk in my trunk and thighs. The only thing different I have done is to put the treadmill on a ten incline and walk/jog for at least thirty minutes. I changed up the treadmill routine about two months ago.

I am 5'4 and weigh 139. I reached that goal this week and am happy with that.
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and am down to 120lbs... Very recently I have begun to shed some fat from butt and thighs. My upper body is pretty lean but the bottom half still holds onto those fat deposits. I persist hoping I will see some change :)

I am aiming for another 2lb loss total in the coming weeks and hope it will target this stubborn fat. It has taken 8 weeks to lose 1lb so it's a slow process when it comes to those last few pounds...
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    In for the replies!! Lost 15lbs and not even a centimeter from my thighs!! ARRGGHHHHH!!!

SOOOOOO Disheartening! Basically my waist is a UK10 but my thighs are near bursting out of UK12

I'm just hoping one day soon my body goes "oh **** we have lots of energy stored her, lets use it!"
  • yl639129
    yl639129 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. My number one issue, but unfortunately I have no tips.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    in for responses
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    This is why I have started doing t-tapp again after the first 25 lbs., I have lost some off my butt, but not as much off my thighs, but I know from past experience that helps me.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped too, at my leanest, I still had a chunky butt/thighs, even though you could see my ribs and the bones in my chest lol. I've recently had more luck shaping up my thighs and butt by doing lots of squats and pilates. I always do pop pilates on youtube, or you can check out the site blogilates.com, where there are pilates videos/exercises targeting specific body parts.

Here are some links:

http://www.blogilates.com/butt/

http://www.blogilates.com/legs-thighs/

good luck!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting heavy free weights?? That is what worked for me!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1107547-for-me-this-is-why-weights-over-cardio-is-key

^^^ pg. 10 of this thread has my update pictures!!
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and currently at 132 lbs. The shape of my body overall is looking a lot better than it was 10 lbs ago, and I'm almost satisfied with my weight loss, except for my thigh/bum area. I have a naturally small frame so I know I'll have to lose another 10 lbs to start seeing any definition from working out those areas, but it can be frustrating when I know I will lose from my bust well before my bum and thighs shed again. I don't necessarily want a smaller bum or thighs—I like my bubble butt and my thighs are proportionate—I just want them to be leaner.

@aekaya I am also following Blogilates youtube videos and focusing on her butt and thigh workouts. They have a good burn and aren't extremely difficult, also I like that she's chatty through her videos which keeps me focused on her voice instead of the pain from holding some of the positions. So yes, I second your recommendation and suggest OP check it out as well.
  • pinkprincess3082
    pinkprincess3082 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm more of an hourglass but the fat on my thighs/general middle section was the very last thing to go. I put on a stone or so over the holidays and guess where the weight went straight back :/ *sigh*

Now I'm 9 pounds down again, and it's being extra stubborn this time.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I didn't start seeing real progress until I started lifting heavy weights, adding in glute- focused accessory lifts, and cycling.
  • stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, that's your body shape - the more estrogen you have, the more your weight sits around your thighs and hips so unless you took anti-estrogens (not a good idea!!!) you won't be able to change your proportions drastically. There's nothing wrong with being pear-shaped though, you should embrace it! I'm more of a butt fan anyway haha :--)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    have to admit there isn't anything wrong with a little junk in the trunk but as with anything ... it takes time

calorie deficit = weight loss

try some strength training - you will be leaner and more toned

I would rather have that than most of the extra weight around the middle (my issue) :ohwell:

btw - my sis would kill for a little extra in the back :wink:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I lose as much fat as I can and avoid direct weight resistance on my lower half. The best I can achieve is to make myself a smaller pear-shape. As I age it gets even harder because my hormone profile has changed and my body wants to deposit even more fat to my hips and butt. When I was younger, I didn't have curvy hips. Now I do.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I guess I am pear shaped, 32-27-43, with big thighs (really have not measured them) I recently started working with a training on the lower half, initially is was for toning but after he saw me in a short sleeve tight top he thought concentrating on the lower half is what I need to do.

Some of what I am doing now and seeing results:

Lots and lots of weighted box squats
    1 Leg Step Ups - weighted and non-weighted
    Treadmill at incline 15
    Running ( I am also doing C25K)
    Stationary Bike at min resistance 11 and rpm 70-75

I feel your pain, I wear a small top and 12-14 pants that never ever fit the waist.

My doctor and trainer have promised me that once I stop losing I will gain back some fat to my upper body - never thought I would look forward to that, but you know some parts are like sad deflated balloons :smile:
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity I just measured myself (it's been about 10 days since the last time) and I've lost an inch from around each thigh! I measure from the largest part at the very top, just under my bum. Though, as I suspected, I also lost an inch from my bust, but, such is life! No movement in my waist or hip area, but my stomach has been completely flat as of late with no signs of bloating, just how it looked when I would suck it in 10 lbs ago, without having to do that, so I'll take my victories where I can get them. If you're not measuring yourself in addition to weighing yourself, I highly suggest it. Sometimes you can't really notice a loss in inches when weight loss is slow, but measuring really reaffirms that you're still on the right track.
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am right there with ya girl, with the same weight and goals - way to go! I have been dropping pants sizes rapidly though - more than weight loss. You can focus on nutrition first and train your body to let go of the fat while building muscle. Feed your body the right nutrients (mostly micro nutrients - not so much about protein, fat and carbs) so that it will function the way it was meant to. When we hold onto fat, the body is in defense mode - protecting itself from built up toxins by surrounding them with fat and storing them away from major organs. Most "diets" do not address this and unfortunately, we lose the weight by cutting calories and then as soon as we go back to our normal habits there is a rebound - hence the yo-yo cycle. Get rid of the toxins and the body will release the fat. Wish I could post a picture of this for you.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I didn't start seeing real progress until I started lifting heavy weights, adding in glute- focused accessory lifts, and cycling.

bretcontreras.com Strong Curves is good for info on this.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    5'8" here and I've only lost according to my ticker about 12 lbs and weighed in at 144 today... I went from a size 10/12 to a 6/8

So to better answer your question, it wasn't the weight.... it was when I started recomping by losing fat and slowing increasing muscle. It took about 8-10 months or so do to. I did it by eating around my maintenance and lifting heavy weights.