Menstrual cycle's effects on running/glycogen etc.

Options
I just saw this article posted up on Competitor Running's Facebook page. Loved it:
http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/running-around-the-menstrual-cycle_67117

Excerpts:

On physiological and performance implications:
"If you bleed a lot during menstruation, it’s possible that your blood’s hemoglobin concentration may decrease, which can negatively impact your ability to transport oxygen in your blood. Since iron is an important component of hemoglobin, iron loss often accompanies a lot of bleeding. If this happens, you may need to supplement your normal diet with iron."

On body temperature:
"Body temperature changes rhythmically throughout the menstrual cycle, peaking during the luteal phase in response to the surge in progesterone. Progesterone acts on the brain’s hypothalamus (the temperature control center), which increases the set-point temperature. A higher body temperature increases the threshold for dissipation of heat. In other words, a woman’s body must reach a higher temperature before her thermostat compensates and begins to cool itself. That’s not a good thing when you’re running on a hot and humid day, as you want to begin the cooling response as soon as you can. Estrogen has the opposite effect on the hypothalamus, decreasing body temperature, which explains why body temperature is lower during the estrogen-dominant follicular phase."

On metabolism and muscle glycogen:
"Estrogen may improve endurance performance by altering carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism, with progesterone often acting antagonistically to estrogen. Estrogen promotes both the availability of glucose and uptake of glucose into slow-twitch muscle fibers, providing the fuel of choice during short duration exercise."

On managing the cycle's effects on performance:
"Female runners can expect to perform better during times of the menstrual cycle when estrogen is the dominant hormone and perform the worst when progesterone is the dominant hormone. Many of the female runners I’ve coached have experienced their worst training days in the few days leading up to and including menstruation. You may find that while harder workouts may be more challenging during your period, easy running may actually improve your mood and alleviate physical symptoms associated with it."

http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/running-around-the-menstrual-cycle_67117

Just thought I'd share. I found it fascinating.

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    OMG! A TOM thread that is actually LOGICAL!

HEHE

:heart:
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well, that explains why I kept feeling extra hot during my C25k training the last few times. Delestrogen injections screwing with my internal A/C!! Gah!
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This is another piece of the puzzle of why I have such drastic variances in my run times.... thanks...
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    This is actually really good information!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Cool info! Thanks!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Bump to keep track, thanks! ????
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I have been trying so hard to figure out why I am seemingly having an "off" week, with seemingly no cause. Then it hit me that this might be the reason! As I, fortunately, have been free of major cramps, fatigue and other severe physical period symptoms the last couple of years, it never occurred to me till the last day or two.
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I found this article a little more well written, and cited better. I'm a nerd, I like all the info I can get . http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/how-menstruation-affects-your-running?page=single
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I notice running leaves me beyond exhausted and unable to catch my breath if I'm getting all periody. Good to see some supporting articles that it's not all in my womanly mind. Also, after reading these articles, Uta Pippig is my new hero.