Women and Periods... Help

Options
I haven't gotten my period in a few months. I workout for 2 1/2 - 3 hours a day. I know exercise can play a role in me missing my period. I'm 5'5' and weigh 110. I am not pregnant. i have taken many tests. I have an appointment on Monday. I am concerned that I have become infertile, if that's even possible. I guess I'm just looking for someone to ease my worries and provide some insight until my appointment.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Might be because you're underweight. Only your doctor can tell you.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yes, visit doctor. Either weight or bodyfat % is too low for your health.

And why do you train 3 hours per day? That seems obsessive and not healthy.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    All i can tell you is that when I've been exercising a lot and generally leading a healthier lifestyle, my period is MUCH lighter...and shorter. Good incentive to work out.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Why do you workout so long everyday?

If your body fat drops very low it will interfere with your bodily functions...which is probably what you're experiencing.
  • princessblanquisima
    princessblanquisima Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am on the same situation. maybe bc of stress? idk neither!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You weigh 110 pounds and work out 2-3 hours a day?

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Are you training for some marathon? Don't start messing with your cycles or you will become infertile when you don't want to be.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep. ^^ What they all said.
  • hotmammatotwogirls
    hotmammatotwogirls Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It is very normal to lose your period when your body fat drops below normal. Loss of period is not healthy long term and can contribute to fertility problems and bone loss. Are you prepping for a fitness show right now, if so your period should return within a few months of eating normally. I would also recommend increasing your calorie intake and cutting back on some exercise.
  • thinfitfabulous
    thinfitfabulous Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am a division 1 runner and train for similar lengths of time when prepping for the season. I have never dropped below 15% body fat yet I haven't gotten my (previously regular) period in over two years. I have had tests and seen doctors and the only factor is the sheer amount of exercise that puts stress on the body. It's not unhealthy, however, I suggest you get everything checked out to simply confirm that it is not something else causing it.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You weigh 110 pounds and work out 2-3 hours a day?

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

^ This was extremely rude. I eat well over 2,000 calories a day. I workout because I enjoy it. It's a hobby of mine.

Thank you for everyone else's responses though! I'm eager to hear what the doctor says!