Post-pregnancy stomach

Options
So as a little background: I weighed about 130 before I got pregnant with my son. For my own (unfortunate) personal reasons, I was up to 247 by the end of my pregnancy. It's taken me about 3 years of not really doing anything for my metabolism to shed all the extra weight... and now, I'm sick of feeling fatigued after eating once a night (before bed), a single meal consisting of pizza, pizza rolls, burritos, or whatever other nonsense I had readily available the was 'easy' for me to make and eat before sleep.
I've always had issues with my appetite--generally, I have to force myself to eat when I should...
Roughly a year ago, I swapped out all my sodas and juices and constant chocolate milk binging for a more subtle drink--water with crystal light packets added for flavor. Aside from Tuesday nights (when I allow myself to enjoy a kiddy-cocktail or two at my bar--no alcohol for me), it's literally all I drink. However, since having my gall bladder removed about 5 years ago, I have never been able to drink a lot of... anything, really. I average about 40 oz a day. Still, better than 40 oz of soda.
About 3 weeks ago, I opted to start eating right and exercising a little more (versus the literally 'nothing' I was at). In the first week and an half, I lost 7 lbs. I'm assuming mostly water weight, but this 'healthy' thing is new to me--I've always let my metabolism work out the 'kinks' in my figure... up until the loss of my gall bladder, at which point, I never really put on any weight anyways. After that initial drop in weight, I've lost another 2 lbs since--which seems right to me, especially since my workouts HAVE resulted in a slight muscle gain, though nothing too significant.
So here's my first question--and this goes out to all the mothers out there that have struggled to shed that post-pregnancy belly:
I don't have loose, sagging skin, and so far, my skin has retained a decent shape around my abdomen... but I DID have a c-section, and I was wondering this--will the elasticity of my skin allow for a 'tighter' look after I lose weight, or will it become saggy? And will I always retain a slight 'muff-top' appearance due to the c-section... despite any sort of weight loss?
My questions for anyone else out there:
I understand that it's 'good' to exercise AND diet at the same time... but ultimately, which do you find personally produces better results?
As long as I'm sticking to 1200 calories a day, what would (hypothetically, as I AM eating 'good' foods) happen if I filled those calories with things like hamburger meat and excessive carbohydrates? Would I still lose weight, or would it stall since there are no real nutrients being consumed?
How much do things like fiber pills and fish oil really aid in weight loss and being healthy? And are there any multivitamins out there that you find help boost your body?--not necessarily to lose weight, but to genuinely help your body receive the 'fuel' it needs?
And finally, what is the best way you've found to cycle different exercises to benefit your body/muscle building without 'tearing up' one particular group of muscles? ei: do you do two days of strength training (and what type: body resistance, or actual weights) and then a day of cardio (again type: running, jump rope, jumping jacks, etc)...
You don't need to answer all of this. I've jam-packed a lot in here versus making individual posts for each question. lol
But any insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

--ss--

Replies

• as1300
    as1300 Posts: 5
    Options
    And as a quick side REQUEST--I'm not demanding, nor will I ask you personally (I don't want to break any rules here)...
    If any mothers that have had a c-section and have lost a significant amount of weight (20 lbs or more) are willing, would you send me pictures of your stomach region before and after you lost the weight so I can see how the abdomen looks? Haha I know that's an odd request, but sometimes I get so discouraged thinking that I'll never have a 'flat' tummy again... >.< It can be disheartening... and a nice little, 'no, it's not the way' would be really reassuring. :D
    Like I said: not a demand in any way and I won't ask personally, but if you feel like sharing, I'd like to know. :)
  • NereyaRanVihn
    NereyaRanVihn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you would eat 1200 cal. "bad" food, you would still lose weight, but you would probably not be very healthy. You would be tired, your skin would look bad a.s.o.
    If vitamins, fiber pills, fish oil would do you any good; it depends on what you eat. If you don't get enough of those things i your regular diet, then it could help, but if you do, you don't need it.
  • alabbey
    alabbey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 C-sections. I gained quite a bit of weight with my first pregnancy. I think I got up to 270? Anyways, after I delivered I was down to 248. I then continued to lose 75 pounds. Unfortunately, my stomach skin is saggy and wrinkly because of it. I also have what they call a "Scar ledge". Scar tissue built up around my incision and now I have a pooch, or small hangy belly. It has gotten better with the weight loss but if I ever want my stomach to look better I believe I will need surgery. I am just not willing to do that. I don't have any pictures of what it looks like. I want to lose about another 15 pounds, so we will see what happens then.

I have learned to accept the way my stomach looks. It is a reminder of my two awesome kids. It reminds me what incredible things my body was capable of doing. It also reminds me that some women would give anything to be able to have the scars, stretch marks, and saggy skin that I do if it meant having a baby.

I know it stinks. But maybe you will be different and your skin and stomach will bounce back better than mine. Good luck!! Let me know if there is anything else I can help with :)
  • sally884
    sally884 Posts: 51
    Options
    What a great post! I was wondering this myself...will my little ledge ever go flat?
    All I can provide to you is I have only lost 7 lbs and already it's getting smaller! This is over 7 weeks as well with going to the gym.
    I would assume any issues with your c section belly will work themselves out but eating healthy will
    Be the best :) can't wait to hear any other moms stories!
  • alabbey
    alabbey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Mine never did :( However, I gained a TON of weight and had large babies. My ledge got smaller but never flat. I have some saggy skin as well from my stomach being stretched and lots of deep stretch marks. Things have improved from all of the weight loss but it will never be like before I had children.

My husband doesn't mind at all and I have come to terms with it. It is not horrible looking. It is just obvious I have had kids. I am still working on it. :)
  • as1300
    as1300 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies.
    @ Nereya: I do eat healthy... but as a way to 'cheat' here and there, I have a burger... still under the 1200 calories I'm maintaining, but I just wanted to know what the stance was on unhealthy food in that amount of calories. So that's good to know. And I could probably use a multi-vitamin of sorts--I'm getting into the calorie counting, but the rest is still confusing to me... so to start with, I think a vitamin would do me well. XD
    @ Alabbey and Sally: I found another post somewhere on here of mom's who had c-sections (after I posted this, of course), and it seemed like most were unable to get rid of the 'pooch' minus one girl who had a flat stomach... but she stated that unless you're pretty much pure muscle definition, there's no real 'shedding' of it... On my end, I just have some pounds to lose, but under that, I'm got some pretty rock hard abs... so hopefully as the pounds come off, so will the 'ledge'. It doesn't really stick out too badly... so not quite so bothersome, and I never really had a 'flat' stomach to begin with... but all the same, I like to know it is possible. :)
    Thanks for the input ladies. :)