Chickpeas?

Options

Replies

• Gator73082
    Options
    I love chickpeas! I put them in my salads. I also have a dish that I make often with chickpeas. I call it chicken and chickpeas ragu and I serve it over polenta. It consists of tomato puree or pulverized whole tomatoes, veggies like kale, zucchini, broccoli, and carrots with pieces of chicken breast. I add cumin and cinnamon to it and let it simmer for a while. A nice dish with a Moroccan flair. It can be done without the chicken too!
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I like to make a chickpea salad. Like tuna salad, but with chickpeas instead of tuna. Mash up the chickpeas and add light mayo or yogurt, salt & pepper, chopped up boiled egg, pickle relish or chopped celery. Stuff like that.

I also love BBQ chickpeas. 2 cans of chickpeas, one jar of spaghetti sauce, 1/4 cup minced onion, 1/3 cup molasses. Mix together and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for one hour. Have with green veggies or over rice.

Or in salad. Or roasted. Or in the blender with some olive oil, garlic and lemon juice to make hummus.

I love, love, love chickpeas.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Until recently I had never tried chick peas before either but I started with this soup recipe that I found and just loved it!

Chick Pea & Orzo Soup

3 Tbsp olive oil
    2 Tbsp minced garlic
    2 leeks (both white & green part) carefully washed & sliced thinly
    1 tomato, peeled, seeded & chopped
    2 Tbsp tomato paste
    1 Tbsp fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
    2 cups chick peas, cooked or canned
    2 Tbsp minced fresh basil
    2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
    6 cups chicken stock
    1/3 lb orzo
    salt & pepper to taste

Heat olive oil over med-high heat until rippling in a large saucepan or soup pot. Add the garlic and leek and saute until garlic is golden brown. Turn heat down to simmer. Add tomato, tomato paste and rosemary. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Stir in chick peas, basil, parsley and stock. Turn heat to high & bring to rapid boil. Add orzo & cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat & adjust seasonings. Serve hot or room temp. Serves 6.

It's about 237 calories per cup and it's so yummy!
  • moviestarsara
    Options
    I have only ever made one thing with chickpeas and I don't have an exact recipe. I would put them in a food processor with some avacado and garlic. So yum!
  • akillilea0812
    Options
    That soup recipe sounds amazing!

I like to add them to tacos with lean bison or even just the chickpeas and veggies
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Tag for chickpea recipes
  • Lemonshake
    Lemonshake Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Oh god that sounds good. I'm hanging for soup season. Still far too hot here :(
    Until recently I had never tried chick peas before either but I started with this soup recipe that I found and just loved it!

Chick Pea & Orzo Soup

3 Tbsp olive oil
    2 Tbsp minced garlic
    2 leeks (both white & green part) carefully washed & sliced thinly
    1 tomato, peeled, seeded & chopped
    2 Tbsp tomato paste
    1 Tbsp fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
    2 cups chick peas, cooked or canned
    2 Tbsp minced fresh basil
    2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
    6 cups chicken stock
    1/3 lb orzo
    salt & pepper to taste

Heat olive oil over med-high heat until rippling in a large saucepan or soup pot. Add the garlic and leek and saute until garlic is golden brown. Turn heat down to simmer. Add tomato, tomato paste and rosemary. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Stir in chick peas, basil, parsley and stock. Turn heat to high & bring to rapid boil. Add orzo & cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat & adjust seasonings. Serve hot or room temp. Serves 6.

It's about 237 calories per cup and it's so yummy!
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, been wanting to try them but not sure what to do...I have seen them in a can, is those ok to buy?
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Cookies!!

PeanutButterChocolateChipChickpeaCookies

1¼ cups canned chickpeas, well-rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel1
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (165 grams) peanut or almond butter -room temperature 2
    ¼ cup (80 grams) honey (can use agave and maple syrup)
    1 teaspoon baking powder3
    a pinch of salt if your peanut butter doesn't have salt in it
    ½ cup (90 grams) chocolate chips

Directions
    1. Preheat your oven to 350°F / 175°C. Combine all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, in a food processor and process until very smooth. Make sure to scrape the sides and the top to get the little chunks of chickpeas and process again until they're combined.
    2. Put in the chocolate chips and stir it if you can, or pulse it once or twice. The mixture will be very thick and sticky.
    3. With wet hands, form into 1½" balls. Place onto a piece of parchment paper. If you want them to look more like normal cookies, press down slightly on the balls. They don't do much rising.
    4. Bake for about 10 minutes. The dough balls will still be very soft when you take them out of the oven. They will not set like normal cookies.
    5. Store in an airtight container at room temperature (or in the fridge) for up to 1 week.
  • Plooty222
    Plooty222 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas with tomato, onion, and hardboiled egg is a great little salad :-)
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like chickpeas, chopped tomato and chopped avocado drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    I make rice with chicken broth, add some chopped garlic, chopped spinach and a can of rinsed chick peas, and sometimes I add diced chicken. It's a nice little meal!

Quickly scrolling through and ^ this is a variation of what I had in mind.

They are an easy way to get protein and can be added to everything from a can of chicken soup to salads.

The curry suggestions are also great.
  • Blossomforth13
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I am feeling much better about this little gift now. Haha.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    open can, drain.
    pour into oiled frypan
    sprinkle in curry powder and salt, cook till warmed and covered.
    nom.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Hummus
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    hummus
    roasted chickpeas
    baked felafel
    mashed chickpea salad on crackers or sandwich
  • jacquiearchambault
    jacquiearchambault Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    toss them in with some low sodium spaghetti sauce and some whole grain spaghetti for a vegetarian dinner. YUM!
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Love them in salads. I want to try some of these other ideas now!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'll eat them right out of the can, rinsed, with a little seasoning salt.
    Add to salads.
    Roasted.
    Baked in spaghetti sauce.

Lots of recipes online. Chickpeas are the same as garbanzo beans.