I'm new here! Howdy!

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm D.L and I jut joined this awesome forum today! I'm an artist and a writer and well.....I decided to go on ahead and take the weight off; however I have a bit of an...."odd" situation. This is going to be a lengthy read, so you definitely do not have to read it. :)

I'm 28yrs old, 5.8 1/2 and I weigh 315lbs. Here is the thing, I LOVE to exercise and I always have. I'm a big guy, and my doctors are always telling me that my level of fitness shouldn't be possible at my size. For a long while I didn't want to lose weight because...well, I drew a picture of myself thin and didn't like the way I looked. I'm not lazy though, and I care a great deal about my health. I can run almost as fast as my cousin who is a lean built soccer player. I know it sounds like a lie and even my doctors thought the same (one of the nurses laughed at me) until I proved it. I have my heart checked all the time and my cardiologist constantly tells me that my heart is in excellent condition.

I decided I few months ago to go ahead and get rid of the fat and that's where the problem starts. I have a lot of muscle under the fat from all of the exercising so I'm not just COMPLETELY flabby and loose, but I've found out I may not be able to lose the weight. I say this because my general doctor told me to limit what I eat and to eat clean and healthy, but I informed him that I already did. Needless to say he was HIGHLY skeptical so I told him that I would bring my food journal. After he saw it........he informed me that I don't eat nearly enough so my body is constantly in "starvation mode" and is trying to hold the fat to use as an energy source. I've tried to eat his recommended number of calories but that is just too much food. Despite me being a big guy, I have never been a piggy eater(I don't even know how I got so fat lol). I wanted to use the calorie calculator here and so I joined just now........but it says I'm supposed to be eating even more than my doctor suggested!

I just feel out of place honestly. Other big or obese people I talk to aren't really on my level of fitness, or even thin people for that matter. The ones who are really fit talk about me like I'm some kind of freak; it isn't all of them, but it makes me prefer to exercise alone. I've never been bothered by insults so it doesn't hurt my feelings, but it does make the environment annoying when I have to lisen to people whispering, "I heard that new fat dude that comes here have some kind of freaky imbalance." or "I don't care if he is in shape; I don't want to workout with him and I definitely don't want him thinking we're buddies."My favorite was some racist guy(though I honestly think he was just acting racist to be a jerk) said, "******s are supposed to have good dna for building muscles; so what the hell is this fat ******'s problem?" He was talking to one of the women there(probably trying to be funny) but she my back. In fact, most times it was women putting the guys in their place before I could say anything lol I can pretty much ignore or even laugh at insults as long as no puts their hands on me; the women were MUCH more offended by it than I was. Yep, they were pretty awesome and I'm still friends with most of them despite me exercising at home now.

That brings me to my home workouts. For the last three weeks I've been using a program called "Insanity" along with my another exercise routine and I do both six times a week. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't pay beachbody for the program :-( My cousin and his wife bought it to do together.....and they did it once, but then put it on the shelf and let the poor thing collect dust for almost a year. So I asked if I can borrow it and they said I can have it(though I'm sure they'll ask for it back once they see my end results lol) I heard a LOT of people saying that obese people or in my case "morbidly obese" should not do Insanity......but I'm having an absolute blast!! I can do all of the exercises without modification and can do many of them just as fast as the people in the video(again I say MANY of the exercises, not ALL lol) I do push myself though, and reeeeeeeeeeally dig deeper, so even though I can finish every workout.....I am dead tired afterwards LOL After resting for about twenty minutes though, I'm perfectly energized and start my second routine. I still can't eat that much food though and I think I;m suffering because of that; I have a lot energy, I'm much faster and I have lost a LOT of inches.....but I haven't lost ANY weight......not a single blasted pound, for crying out loud! *Sigh* I guess that it's not meant to be then lol but the program is awesome so I'm definitely not going to stop; I don't care if I don't lose any weight the end. I tried do this with a friend.....and that was a mistake on my part :-( She's an athlete and in amazing shape AND she has a well sculpted body(she looks like she could knock me out by popping me with her finger! lol). I've always said i she could act, she would make a perfect Wonder Woman! Anyway, she had a really hard time doing Insanity though and she couldn't make it through the last thirteen minutes. The fact that I was able to get through the workout without taking it easy and REALLY pushing myself.......well, she felt really insulted by me and I wasn't trying to mock her.....I wouldn't do that to anyone, but ESPECIALLY not people that I care about. I honesty thought she would like the program, because she loves to have a challenge. *Sigh* She didn't call me a freak, but she did say I shouldn't be able to do these kind of things. Insanity is awesome and it's loads of fun........but this is the once time I regret doing it......because it wasn't worth losing a close friend :-(((

Well everyone, that's my story! Am I really some kind of....*sigh* freak? I'm not a derssed person so I'm not bothered by people laughing at me (even I laugh if someone says something about me and I find it funny lol). So don't worry about me feeling sad and lonely because I don't :) The only thing that hurts is losing my friend because she thought I was trying to make her feel bad :-(( Other than that I'm just fine! You all take care and nice meeting you all! (if no one reads this....the irony of this comment will be really sad...but really funny! LOL)

p.s. Forgive me for any typos :-)

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    ...... & then I woke up and realised it was all just a dream...

Kudos for actually typing it all out though if it wasn't a cut & paste job *smiles*
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Kudos for actually typing it all out though if it wasn't a cut & paste job *smiles*

Found that kind of rude honestly. People come here seeking answers not biting remarks.

Anyways I don't think you are a freak. I'm currently 339 pounds and I feel as if I am pretty active. I have never tried some of the things mentioned but I am constantly walking and doing heavy work as a janitor at a coal mine. Usually 3-4 hours of constant moving and then I walk 2-3 miles after work and I'm not even tired. I eat 1200-1500 calories a day (almost 1000 less than mfp suggests) and I feel fantastic. Just keep at it. The weight will come off.
  • Dig_Deeper
    Options

?????? Are you trying to mock me or something??? Meh, I suppose that I shouldn't really be surprised; this is the Internet after all. Also "realized" not "realised " If you MUST mock me, then please do it correctly. :-) *wink* Seriously though, I don't mind; you certainly wouldn't be the first one to doubt me, but I don't do this for you or anyone else.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options

Found that kind of rude honestly. People come here seeking answers not biting remarks.

Anyways I don't think you are a freak. I'm currently 339 pounds and I feel as if I am pretty active. I have never tried some of the things mentioned but I am constantly walking and doing heavy work as a janitor at a coal mine. Usually 3-4 hours of constant moving and then I walk 2-3 miles after work and I'm not even tired. I eat 1200-1500 calories a day (almost 1000 less than mfp suggests) and I feel fantastic. Just keep at it. The weight will come off.

Nope not being rude. The OP's description somehow doesn't ring true though. My starting weight was 224 & like yourself I also frequently walked 2-3 miles on a regular basis with ease. In addition to still being able to swim & complete physical tasks. However, if you look up the Insanity program I'm slightly sceptical. In addition to which they state they are possibly in a similar condition to two people they have described as "athletes". I'm certainly not saying that people can't be falsely classed as obese. i.e. Rugby player on BMI scales. Hopefully the OP will be able to achieve what it is they are looking for.
  • Dig_Deeper
    Options

Yeah, that was really rude, but I've simply come to expect those things; not everyone has decency and so I try not to hold people to the standards that I'm familiar with! But thank you! You're awesome!

You eat 1200-1500 calories and you're losing weight?!! That's incredible! I can't manage to lose a pound! lol I'm definitely losing inches though.....so I have no idea why it isn't showing on the scale. Am I missing something??? You keep up the awesome work and PLEASE be careful working at the coal mine. You take care! :-)
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Yeah, that was really rude, but I've simply come to expect those things; not everyone has decency and so I try not to hold people to the standards that I'm familiar with! But thank you! You're awesome!

You eat 1200-1500 calories and you're losing weight?!! That's incredible! I can't manage to lose a pound! lol I'm definitely losing inches though.....so I have no idea why it isn't showing on the scale. Am I missing something??? You keep up the awesome work and PLEASE be careful working at the coal mine. You take care! :-)

Don't let one person discourage you from using this website. Most if not all people I have encountered have been nice and supportive. If someone can't understand something they become rude and hateful but that is life. But I can eat 2000 calories and still lose weight. It's all about calorie deficiency. 3500 calories is 1 pound. So you burn and eat a deficiency in that and tada a pound is gone. And you can lose inches and not pounds. I'm losing pounds but not as many inches. Every body is different. I have lost 25ish pounds in 6 weeks.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options

?????? Are you trying to mock me or something??? Meh, I suppose that I shouldn't really be surprised; this is the Internet after all. Also "realized" not "realised " If you MUST mock me, then please do it correctly. :-) *wink* Seriously though, I don't mind; you certainly wouldn't be the first one to doubt me, but I don't do this for you or anyone else.

Nope, its "realised" not "realized". I'm in the UK :-) *wink*

Like I said. Good luck to you OP.
  • Dig_Deeper
    Options
    Nope not being rude. The OP's description somehow doesn't ring true though. My starting weight was 224 & like yourself I also frequently walked 2-3 miles on a regular basis with ease. In addition to still being able to swim & complete physical tasks. However, if you look up the Insanity program I'm slightly sceptical. In addition to which they state they are possibly in a similar condition to two people they have described as "athletes". I'm certainly not saying that people can't be falsely classed as obese. i.e. Rugby player on BMI scales. Hopefully the OP will be able to achieve what it is they are looking for.

If you TRULY were not being rude then I apologize for my reply...but it sure seemed like you were. As I've said, MANY people have doubted me, and everyone who comes to my house knows my fitness level and they know I can't get through Insanity. I didn't say it was easy, I said that I can do, and I can, and I do. I can't make you or anyone else here believe and I don't want to. That's not my purpose for being here. Those in my life know I have always been incredibly active and fast; I'm not the type that needs approval from people to be happy; however I did want to share my story in the hopes that something may know what I'm going through and help me get this weight off(I just don't understand how I can lose inches without losing weight. Maybe I'm just tightening up or something?) THAT is my purpose, and to help others who may need motivation. I motivate myself, but I know a lot of people need that push, and there is nothing wrong with that. So again, if you were not being rude and trying to mock me, then I apologize, but there's nothing I can do about your doubts. I wish you the best!
  • Dig_Deeper
    Options
    Nope, its "realised" not "realized". I'm in the UK :-) *wink*

Like I said. Good luck to you OP.

LOL AWESOME comeback!! Hahaha! I stand corrected, indeed, and thank you for actually not being a jerk with what you said. :-)
  • Dig_Deeper
    Options
    Don't let one person discourage you from using this website. Most if not all people I have encountered have been nice and supportive. If someone can't understand something they become rude and hateful but that is life. But I can eat 2000 calories and still lose weight. It's all about calorie deficiency. 3500 calories is 1 pound. So you burn and eat a deficiency in that and tada a pound is gone. And you can lose inches and not pounds. I'm losing pounds but not as many inches. Every body is different. I have lost 25ish pounds in 6 weeks.

Yeah...she came across as rude lol but I saw why she doubted and though it was still a bit blunt, I can understand her reasons for thinking that I'm making this up. It seems I'm going to have to possibly up my calories intake....hate feeling "stuffed" though lol You've lost 25lbs in six weeks?! That's pretty darn amazing! I suppose I'll have to settle for losing inches until the scale shows me otherwise lol. Keep up the great work!
  • lcroslin
    lcroslin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I wish you lots of succes and feel free to "friend" me if you just want general support for trying to live a healthy lifestyle. As I read your story one thought came to mind. I hope your physician had your thyroid tested to make sure it's functioning in the normal range. Then, I thought I'd share something that was helpful for me. I had a metabolism test done with Kaiser Permanente. It cost me additional money, but I found out that my metabolism was a bit slower than average. Based upon the test results, I was given a specific caloric intake and recommendations were made for me to increase my muscle mass. But, all of that was based upon my test. So, you might want to look into this option. It would at least give you the knowledge of where to start with your caloric intake.

Good Luck,
    Linda
  • R3dVamp
    R3dVamp Posts: 18
    Options
    You are not crazy or a freak. Everyone is an individual and you have to find what works for you. I am in the same position. I exercise 3 days a week, and play inline hockey, currently eating 1500 calories. This is not enough to support the running of my body let alone all the exercise I do. I am no longer dieting but reverse dieting. I added 5% back onto my calories and every week after I will add 2% till I get up to maintenance level for my current weight. At least if I can do that I will have something to cut from when I try to get my body fat % down.