how many calories do u burn if u walk a mile

Options
i weight 274 pounds:laugh: male 18 year old thanks :noway:

Replies

• tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Well, what was the terrain like (was it all flat / asphalt, were their hills, stuff like that) and how fast were you going / how long did that mile take for you to complete? Just a mile isn't enough info to know how much you burned.

Also, if you go to "exercise" in the top menu, you can log your exercise and it'll give you a good estimate of the calories burned.
  • browningrifles2014
    Options
    ok thank you :drinker:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I walked three miles at 4 MPH this morning = 396 cals

everyone will be different based on their age, height, weight, sex and fitness level
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

At that weight, 3 miles in one hour will be right about 245 calories.

Age, sex, fitness level and speed make virtually no difference. All that really matters is distance and body weight.
  • browningrifles2014
    Options

everyone will be different based on their age, height, weight, sex and fitness level

way to go thats an awsome burn :drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

way to go thats an awsome burn :drinker:
    Fair warning - it is significantly overestimated.
  • browningrifles2014
    Options

At that weight, 3 miles in one hour will be right about 245 calories.

Age, sex, fitness level and speed make virtually no difference. All that really matters is distance and body weight.
    3 miles per hours :grumble: thanks for info:flowerforyou:
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to seriously disagree with this.

Fitness level can make a huge difference. A fit person has a much more efficient system and will be able to do the same work with clearly less energy expenditure than an un-fit one. Look at 2 150lb people doing the same distance, one hits the end barely winded and the other is flushed, breathing hard, and sweating. If you just look at the fact that one person is putting off a heck of a lot more heat, the by product of all the biological processes involved, and one person is working like hell to shed heat, that person is doing a lot more work.

Speed doesn't matter!?! Maybe not between a 3 and 4 mph walk for most basically fit people, but even a 2-3 MPH difference can add up to a big difference at the end. F=M*V, and while it doesn't translate directly, by basic physics maintaining more force requires more force.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

I'm going to have to seriously disagree with this....fitness level can make a huge difference. A fit person has a much more efficient system and will be able to do the same work with clearly less energy expenditure than an un-fit one.

Nope. Walking 3 miles takes about the same amount of energy regardless of fitness level. What an improved fitness level gives you is the ability to do more, in less. IE, it allows you to generate higher levels of power, over longer periods of time.

But power is not the same thing as work, and confusing the two is a large contributor to people's misunderstandings on this issue. For doing X, it's the same actual energy expenditure, either way.
    Look at 2 150lb people doing the same distance, one hits the end barely winded and the other is flushed, breathing hard, and sweating. If you just look at the fact that one person is putting off a heck of a lot more heat, the by product of all the biological processes involved, and one person is working like hell to shed heat, that person is doing a lot more work.

Again, no, that is not correct. A fit person's body has physiological advantages that allow less stress for the same amount of energy expenditure. IE, they can maintain a higher power output for the same level of physical stress. *That* is consistent with what you describe above.

But for the same distance, using the same biomechanical motion, there is negligible difference in the actual energy expenditure itself.

Power != Work.
    Speed doesn't matter!?! Maybe not between a 3 and 4 mph walk for most basically fit people, but even a 2-3 MPH difference can add up to a big difference at the end.

A 3 MPH difference from a 3MPH baseline is either 0 (i.e. not walking at all) or 6 MPH (i.e., running).

I really think you need think through your examples a bit better.
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    when I was 300lbs I would burn over 1100 calories in 3 miles @ 3-5mph walking/jogging
    now that I am at 275 I only burn 700ish for the same distance and bumping the speed to 4-7mph
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    But you aren't taking recovery period into consideration either, which is something that I think a lot of people miss out on. The closer you work to your relative maximum intensity level, the greater the impact on the recovery period. IE, the run that leaves one person face-down on the track and the other slightly winded are going to have a significantly different net effect within the next 24-48 hours.

This is the entire reason that High Intensity Interval Training is as effective as it does, since it pushes the person very close to their relative intensity maximum, which makes for a significantly increased calorie burn in the same time and/or distance.

I can jog a 5k without a whole lot of trouble, but for other people that will require a very significant output, and in the end that workout will cause 2 significantly different burns.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options

That is very true. Everyone is different.

Having said that, hopefully people aren't believing some of these crazy high calorie #'s. If I ran 3 miles at a sub 8 minute pace, I'd burn maybe 300-330 max. Walking and getting 396 sounds inflated.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Net calorie burn per mile , running: .63 x body weight
    Net calorie burn per mile, walking (less than 5 mph?): .3 x body weight

Calorie burn from Huffing and puffing, hacking cough , wheezing, curling up in the fetal position on the side of the road not included. These are all things I plan on doing should I for the first time attempt a 2 mile run I mapped out some weeks back.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Net calorie burn per mile , running: .63 x body weight
    Net calorie burn per mile, walking (less than 5 mph?): .3 x body weight

Calorie burn from Huffing and puffing, hacking cough , wheezing, curling up in the fetal position on the side of the road not included. These are all things I plan on doing should I for the first time attempt a 2 mile run I mapped out some weeks back.

^^ This

source http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

These formulae give you the net calories expended (ie additional calories expended as a direct result of the activity, many calculators give you the gross calories which include those that you would have burned lying in bed....)

To the OP, at your weight you would burn (net) about 74 cal per mile walking.