Zero Calorie

Options
Do you know of any zero calorie foods?
If so list them!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing. All food has calories.
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Water? :P

Thats pretty much the only ZERO calorie thing out there. However there are some LOW calorie things which can be helpful if you are like me and like to snack a bit or bulk up your meals :)

-Vegetables (not potato variants, avocados etc, though) especially green, leafy ones
    -Berries in small amounts are pretty low in calorie
    -Diet drinks
    -Diet jelly
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    As far as I know there are no true zero calorie foods except for water.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The idea that foods are zero calorie (which really means that it takes more calories to digest than they have In them) is pretty much wishful thinking. All food has calories that need to be counted and added up. Calories burned during digestion are accounted for in your BMR, so it all works out in the end.
  • polkadotmoon
    Options
    Even noodles marketed as being zero calorie have calories. What you'll find is a lot of low calorie food items being listed as zero calorie due to a stream of thought that ldula88 explained very well.

The majority of lists featuring 'zero calorie' foods will mention celery, cucumber, lettuce, etc. because they are generally so low in calories that you'll get sick of eating them before they make a significant dent in your daily allowance. This statement may not be based in fact, some people will no doubt love celery and would be more than capable of exceeding their daily allowance through the consumption of celery alone.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Lol. I'd like to see that person who could eat that much celery so I could shake their hand. I eat it, but am not a fan :P

As others said there is no 0 calories food, but when i'm hungry and have little or no caloric allowance left I to will go for water veggies.

You can mix some lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, green pepper, celery, onion and top it with a bit(just a bit) of balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Depending on how many calories and how much sodium i've had I might also add a few olives or some pickled beet, pickles or hot banana pepper rings. For dressing you can also do a bit of olive oil and vinegar with a pinch of sugar and salt and pepper. All depends on what your working with in terms of calories.

If you're not feeling water veggies I'd say your next best option would be plain popcorn. It's not zero calorie, but is filling enough to get you through and low calories enough that it won't put you too far over.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Things I eat/drink that are "zero calorie" include tea, coffee, spray butter, pickles, and diet soda. I still log them even though they show as '0' in my log, if that's what you're asking. I personally just like to see what I've consumed during the day, no matter what it is.

ETA: I def read your post wrong & for some reason thought you were asking if people still log their zero calorie foods. OOPS. But those are the things that at least say 0 calorie on the label & come up that way when I log them. I don't eat a lot of these things often except coffee & tea, which is a daily.
  • Kelce4Fit
    Kelce4Fit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I posted this because I don't know how many times I've seen the blogs or ads about these secret zero calorie foods and I wanted to know if anyone else has heard of them because I had never seen any! I'm glad I'm not crazy lol! Thank you all for replying with such great information that I can pass along!!
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    They can legally say that food has zero calories on the nutrition label if it has less than 5 per serving. So if you are eating an entire jar of pickles or something else that has zero on the label, beware those calories will add up.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    They can legally say that food has zero calories on the nutrition label if it has less than 5 per serving. So if you are eating an entire jar of pickles or something else that has zero on the label, beware those calories will add up.

If you are in USA, they can.

Not here in Australia - all foods/drinks are listed in kj per 100g/100ml, sometimes also per serving.

For example Pepsi Max has a listing of 2kj per 100 ml.

which is less than 1 calorie so that's probably 2 calories in a standard size can.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Not here in Australia - all foods/drinks are listed in kj per 100g/100ml, sometimes also per serving.

which is less than 1 calorie so that's probably 2 calories in a standard size can.

That is true, sorry for any misinformation. Wonder if the new nutrient labels in the US are going to address this issue?
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Water
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

That is true, sorry for any misinformation. Wonder if the new nutrient labels in the US are going to address this issue?

Doesn't look like it. The info below the three labels lists the proposed changes and "0" calorie foods are not on the list.

FYI: Spray margarine which touts zero calories /5 sprays has over 800 calories/bottle. Cooking spray is listed as zero calories per 1/4 second spray (I've never been able to do this because I don't know how to time 1/4 of a second! :noway: ) I guess there's something about spraying the stuff that filters out the calories! :laugh:

Cm9eRCA.jpg
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Yes ,without meaning to get political, I think system here is far better.

All food calories are shown, no matter how small - and all food /drinks are shown in standard format - ie per 100g/100ml - so no fudging things to make something look less than it is by unrealistic serving sizes.
    Much easier to do direct comparisons this way.