abdominal suppport

Options
Anyone have a reference for a good belt to lift my stomach and help my back pain?

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Go to a medical supply store and look for post-surgical supports. They make them specifically for people who have had abdominal surgery and need to disburse the weight to a wider support area.

If you're meaning for use during exercise, and you are exceptionally big, you can do what I did. I went to Target and bought fitted tanks in an XXL and just pulled them down around my belly... Kinda like wearing a sports bra on your stomach. I know it sounds cruddy but it really helped me.

I will admit though that the best support I ever had was literally wrapping duct tape over a tank top. It's not the most flexible or breathable but it can provide relief. It saved my behind after my surgery!
  • ajfwajfw
    ajfwajfw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. They seem so expensive but I think the lift would help with my arthritis in my lower back. I am morbidly obese so I have to have a 3 or 4x. You have me an idea though. I may try to get two small cheaper ones and sew them together. Did you cut the arms out of the tanks and did they ride up?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks. They seem so expensive but I think the lift would help with my arthritis in my lower back. I am morbidly obese so I have to have a 3 or 4x. You have me an idea though. I may try to get two small cheaper ones and sew them together. Did you cut the arms out of the tanks and did they ride up?

I am actually bigger than you it sounds like. I got the XXL because 1) it's the biggest they have and 2) you want it to be small in those fitted tanks, when you're using it for support, otherwise it's not going to hold you in or up!

I actually used the ones with a built in sports bra, and pulled the bra part down over my belly and the lower tank part would be over my hips. It would roll up from the bottom but the bra part stayed in place. I know, it sounds really dumb, but I was desperate!

Forgive me, I didn't see if you were male or female, but another option is to shop compression undies in the catalogues. I got a great deal on some "boxer briefs" for women that were intended to keep from having panty lines, but they helped keep things from jostling about as well as limited the dreaded thigh rub.

Getting good support wear for us dinosaur sized people (I'm still over 400, and wear a 3-5x depending on the company, as well as being 6'1") is hella expensive, so I totally feel for you. I promise that once you've gotten yourself a bit on the way, and build up some exercise endurance, the pain will get better.

I know you're not asking, but this REALLY helps my back... I have muscular issues as well as hypermobility and degenerative discs... Look into water fitness classes, particularly at a rehab facility if possible (they have heated pools :D) It takes the weight burden off and allows you to move, build strength and flexibility without the pressure of the weight, and burns extra calories than just working out in the air!
  • ajfwajfw
    ajfwajfw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I do have an indoor pool in my town that offers an arthritis water class once a week. I know I need to go. BTW, female. I do have one "shaper" from Catherine's but it is so hot. I really want to get the hang down off my upper legs! Hey, did you know it has a name? I think it is called an abdominal pannus.