Flaxseed Oil

Options
teelow22
teelow22 Posts: 13 Member
I keep seeing mixed reviews online. Do you use it? What benefits have you noticed? Do you cook with it or just add it to smoothies? How else do you get it in your diet?

Thanks!

(I currently cook with it on the random moment I remember I have it. When I was consistent with smoothies I put it in there, I am just curious on regular use.)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Flax oil is an essential fat called Alpha Linolenic Acid and is an omega 3. The body can't produce it and therefore we need to consume it. Flax is a concentrated form and plant material is the other most common source. Flax oil is generally produced using a cold press method in the absence of oxygen and light and then refrigerated because these fats are very fragile and oxidise quickly and become rancid which in turn create free radicals within cell structures and cause inflammation, so it's necessary if your purchasing just the oil to get it from a good source. If your grinding the seed, it's more stable because the seed is the protection from light and oxygen, but you should consume it as soon as possible and if your grinding a lot up at once, keep it in the fridge.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I do not cook with it. It's not heat stable. I use it in my smoothies and as a topping to my porridge or pancakes.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have the seed in my protein shake in the morning as breakfast, good for Fibre if not anything else lol
  • ghafer
    ghafer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use it frequently to make salad dressings mixed with lemon or lime juice, balsamic vinegar, and spices to make it the flavor I desire.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't take flax seeds personally I normally get my omega 3 from meat sources or fish oil supplements.

to be honest it's never been on my radar, however I have copied below a link to a blog which discusses the benefits of Flax (remember it is a blog and I would suggest digging a bit deeper yourself if you find the information of merit).

:smile:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flax-prostate-cancer-risk/#axzz2w1kqvgOP
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Hi, I don't take flax seeds personally I normally get my omega 3 from meat sources or fish oil supplements.

to be honest it's never been on my radar, however I have copied below a link to a blog which discusses the benefits of Flax (remember it is a blog and I would suggest digging a bit deeper yourself if you find the information of merit).

:smile:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flax-prostate-cancer-risk/#axzz2w1kqvgOP
    This is how biases start. Cherry picking data is pretty easy when dealing with meta analysis and observational prospective and retrospective studies. Don't forget that these sam studies show red meat, saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart disease.

Anyway, a balance of ALA and EPA and DHA is probably a good choice, especially considering ALA is the essential oil and not the EPA or DHA.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    That's why I suggested that it be read as a blog and further digging done by the OP!

As I mentioned in earlier post I don't know that much about flax seed so have not done any additional digging myself.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I bought flaxseed meal (pre-ground seeds) from Amazon. I keep it in the freezer and add a couple tablespoons to my daily smoothie.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Isolating the fat out of a plant, and then adding it back to your food in concentrations that are not found in nature is NEVER healthy, regardless of what type of plant you get it from. (Olives, rapeseed, grapeseed, coconuts, flax, safflower, etc)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Isolating the fat out of a plant, and then adding it back to your food in concentrations that are not found in nature is NEVER healthy, regardless of what type of plant you get it from. (Olives, rapeseed, grapeseed, coconuts, flax, safflower, etc)
    I bet you wish you were still a monkey, right? just kidding.