Protein Bars help, please!

Options
So...I tried a protein bar for the first time today since I usually never hit my protein goal. I am not too fond of the taste, but it seems to keep me full for a while. Anyway...I have a question for those that DO use them (and preferably those from Germany): Which protein bar do you buy and how much are they where you live?

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    anyone at all?
  • blancablanca
    Options
    I never ever tried them, but people say lärabar bars are pretty good
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have Protein Plus by Nestle. At the gym, they're £2.20!!!! But think from a fitness site, theyre about £1.60 each. Definitely not the cheapest way to get protein!! Have you tried shakes, like whey protein? Cheaper per portion, and can mix with fruit to make a smoothie. Or I use it to make protein pancakes!!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Not Germany I'm afraid but I like Powerbar by Nestle, it's like eating a chocolate bar but with the bonus of protein and fibre. If you have Decathlon stores, they have their own range called Aptonia, in which there is a praline flavour bar which is pretty tasty and work out only £1.00 each.

I also like USN peanut butter brownie bars but they're super expensive, as are a lot of the other brands as they're USA imports.
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Quake bars and power crunch peanut butter by bnrg are good. I also use proto whey powder from bnrg
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Not Germany I'm afraid but I like Powerbar by Nestle, it's like eating a chocolate bar but with the bonus of protein and fibre. If you have Decathlon stores, they have their own range called Aptonia, in which there is a praline flavour bar which is pretty tasty and work out only £1.00 each.

I also like USN peanut butter brownie bars but they're super expensive, as are a lot of the other brands as they're USA imports.

Ooooh Decathlon, need to try there!!!
  • ShariTho1
    ShariTho1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I got some from Walmart in the U.S called Pure Protein. They are great! 200 calories, which I thought was alot but it was the only one I found there with 20 grams of protein! 6 g sugar & 16 g carbs. I thought thats was pretty good....right?
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Those are some good ideas. I'll look at protein powders. Thanks :)
  • aliciadub
    aliciadub Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not much on protein bars myself, but my trainer has a protein shake recipe that he has me make every morning. It's very good, despite the ingredients list! lol And, the raw egg is an additional protein boost that really gives it staying power. I'm sure someone will say the raw egg is risky, but it works for me so I'm fine with it. My trainer has degrees in Biology and Kinesiology, so I trust what he tells me, and he has this shake every morning, too.

V-Core Protein Powder 3/4 scoop
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 raw egg
    1 tbs chia seeds
    1 handful spinach
    1 tbs flax seeds

I put it all in my Vitamix and blend it for about 30 seconds. I get the protein and am not hungry for hours.

Good luck!
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Maximuscle Promax bars - I get them off Amazon on their new 'subscription' feature and they work out at less than a pound each. However, powders are way cheaper and there is a lot more variety.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I tried bars once when I was out and about... not great! I've just started to bake my own protein things, cookies, loaf cakes etc using protein powder, much lower in cals for pretty decent protein intake. There is loads of recipes on here :) x
  • LauraFouhse
    LauraFouhse Posts: 115
    Options
    Elevate Me bars. Taste great and doesn't have alot of additives. Lots of flavours too.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    Quest Bars......game over!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Powders all the way, you can add to lots of things or just mix with milk or water. I try to get all my protein naturally, but I don't eat meat so some days a little protein powder helps.
  • imcam1
    imcam1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Quest bars....and lot of flavors :)
  • okuyama
    okuyama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    From America - I eat Think Thin or Quest protein bars and drink protein shakes. They have very little sugar or sugar alcohol. This is important for me, as I feel better with less sugar. I eat one or half of one within 45 minutes of my work outs or if I am working and have to skip a meal. The protein shakes are home made in the morning or I buy them on the road if traveling- again looking for low to no sugar or sugar alcohol. Like you I find it hard to hit my protein needs.I look forward to seeing what you find. Good luck!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    So...I tried a protein bar for the first time today since I usually never hit my protein goal. I am not too fond of the taste, but it seems to keep me full for a while. Anyway...I have a question for those that DO use them (and preferably those from Germany): Which protein bar do you buy and how much are they where you live?

I'm making my own using various protein powders. Homemade protein bars are tastier and less expensive than mass produced ones. I tested and occasionally buy: Pure Protein chocolate deluxe (21 g protein) , Six Star chocolate deluxe (20 g protein), PowerBar Vanilla (20 g protein), and Fibre 1 caramel nut (7 g protein). I'm in Canada but also shop in the US. On average a protein bar will cost me $1.30. I have heard very good reviews of the Quest protein bars that come in a wide range of flavours but I have not tried them yet.
  • JimiB73
    JimiB73 Posts: 34
    Options

Yup....this! Try the cookies and cream or chocolate chip cookie dough. Both are tremendous!!!
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options

^^ This
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like Think Thin Peanut Butter - they can be ordered online. I've tried many protein bars and I think these are the best tasting.

I'm also a lover of the protein powder shake, much like the one above but I put in 1 cup Almond Milk (unsweetened), frozen Kale or Spinach, Chia or Flax (not both) and frozen berries, sometimes a banana. Options are cocoa powder, stevia for sweetness, fresh rather than frozen, coconut oil for a great creamy mouth feel, yogurt for probiotics. Once you start mixing you'll find all sorts of ways to vary the recipe.. I never use raw eggs, they kind of scare me.