Just Starting

Options
I started using the app at the beginning of the year but didn't really get into until this week. I have a lot going on in my life and have been unmotivated to do anything about my weight but I'm so dissatisfied with myself. Since January I have been having some stomach issues (feel certain it's all stress related, but have a doctors appointment set for the end of the month, earliest possible appointment), in an effort to help myself feel better I researched supplements to help rebuild a healthy gut. While my measures helped some it wasn't consistent so I researched a bland diet, figuring I would try that for a few days, give my stomach time to rest. I revisited MFP as a way to record a food diary and supplements to bring to the doctor at the end of the month. I have found in the last three days even though I wasn't overly concerned about calories right now, just my stomach feeling better, that I am more conscious about what I'm consuming not just because of my stomach issues but also because at the end of the day it feels really good to have stayed within my limits.

Before I didn't see any real progress from day to day, but seeing that I stayed within my limits daily, I know that I'm making progress and I'm proud of myself at the end of the day. I also LOVE the bar code scanner! Eating bland right now has me limited, I was out and wanted to grab something quick but healthy and bland, I was at a grocery store and got a premade egg salad. Even thought the label only listed the ingredients I decided to try the barcode scanner, all the nutritional info came up when I scanned it, AWESOME!!! No more guessing, I think that will help me tremendously because I'm sure I underestimated calories in the past.

I have a long road ahead of me 110 lbs., but I have a two year goal (too fit in my wedding dress for my 25th wedding anniversary) and my eye is on health overall. I just want to feel good in my skin and get some energy back. I'm looking forward to the support that I see happening for others here, it seems like a welcoming environment.

Replies

• TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It sounds like you have made some changes to help you and thats great! I have found that it has been a tremendous support system to have MFP. I have a long ways to go myself but I'm making small changes and taking one day at a time. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • divamuffinmom
    Options
  • cindyb327
    cindyb327 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    welcome! you can do it! really you can. if you look at all the others who have done or are doing it...if they can you can. it takes a start/a few steps...then making it a habit. it becomes fun/like a game. being active really really helps...start off with walking and then go from there. but honestly...i've done this before where i stayed within calories and the only exercise i did was lots of walking.... once you get on a roll you'll start to feel good and you won't want to eat those huge meals cause you'll think wow i feel good and i don't want to feel like *&*^!! and when i started i had a few cheat or bad days, but after awhile i had rare sugar days cause i remembered how i felt like crap and didn't want to go there again. so, i wouldn't even splurge. people say 'oh it's good to splurge...why deprive yourself"....but for me, if i eat a piece of cake...then i'm 'activated' so to speak and then i want more!!!! so i realized the best thing for me was not to touch it.:) and now my thinking is "if i eat that cake, the yummy part of it will only last a few minutes and it's not worth how i'll feel tired later and it's not worth the huge amount of calories." so tell yourself, 'i can do this' and picture yourself as you want to be cause we become what we think. good luck!
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do it! Logging food and exercise on MFP really helps. Finding an eating plan that works for you also makes it easier. I'm trying to avoid processed foods. Sometimes that seems to "clog up" the body and make it harder to lose weight. I just sent a friend request to you; would love to offer encouragement as you go down this path!
  • divamuffinmom
    Options
    Thanks! I love your way of thinking!