Lost 11lbs on 24hr booze bender! How can it be possible?

Options
So I always weigh myself on a Friday, same time, same place. Yesterday I weighed 15 stone 13lbs. I went out on a massive bender with a friend and consumed a vineyard worth of red wine. No food. I woke up this morning feeling like a troupe of circus mice were juggling chainsaws in my skull. Weighed myself, scared that I must've piled on the pounds with such a binge - NO, 15 stone 2lbs!!!
So either red wine must have miracle weight-loss properties, or I was SO dehydrated! Makes me think though - what can our TRUE weight EVER really be, if it can fluctuate so much in a day?

PS/ I don't advocate such reckless behaviour BTW (before someone right-on with a sense of humour bypass chastises me ;)

Replies

• lauly101
    lauly101 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Did the binge reach such epic proportions that 1) you vommed quite a bit or 2) you actually did this a month ago and have memory loss due to alcohol abuse? :p Seriously though - red wine hangover, not nice! Red wine drunk = very nice!
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    Options
    Did the binge reach such epic proportions that 1) you vommed quite a bit or 2) you actually did this a month ago and have memory loss due to alcohol abuse? :p Seriously though - red wine hangover, not nice! Red wine drunk = very nice!

Haha. Nope, I haven't done a 'technicolor yawn' (vomiting) on booze since I was a teenager. Not good to get quite THAT messy! I couldn't believe the scales though. How can it fluctuate so much?.
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The scale is a crazy thing isn't it. Mine goes up and down each day but overall I'm loosing the minimum 2 pounds a month I want to (goal set at 0.5 a week as i'm down to last 10 now).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    dehydrated...water and fluids weigh a lot. you also have to consider waste or lack thereof in your system, etc. natural body weight fluctuations can be fairly substantial.

also, yeah...nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs. I've been maintaining for around 10 months and I fluctuate anywhere from 178 - 185 day to day throughout the week...my average is 182 which is what I consider to be my "true" weight. It's not static and weight loss isn't linear...you have to look at trends rather than just some arbitrary number on the scale.

I wish people would realize this sooner and stop obsessing so much...it would solve a lot of problems for people on MFP if they understood that they will never weight exactly XXX Lbs.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself every hour for a week. I did this once, just to see the fluctuations that were normal. It's amazing how much you can fluctuate in a day.

Water weight seemed to be able to fluctuate by over 10 lbs, and bowel weight seems to be about 2-3 lbs. If i had a really salty meal, i would go up by 10 LBS for 2 days, and then i would pee it back down to normal.

You'll probably gain most of that back within 2 days, once you start drinking water and eating food again.
  • minibandit
    Options
    Alcohol makes you pee a lot - dehydration and no food in your belly.

Agree with lauly - red wine is lovely, hangover is brutal.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I will buy a bottle or two of red wine and test this myself… for science of course ;)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I will buy a bottle or two of red wine and test this myself… for science of course ;)

Seems legit.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    You just gave the best description of a red wine hangover that I have ever heard! Lol. I remember those from when I used to drink a lot. I do not miss them! Hope you feel better soon. :smile:
  • nbrown88ca
    nbrown88ca Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a good morning laugh!!!
  • Lunaluna01
    Lunaluna01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid it will all go back on in a couple of days. Alcohol is a diuretic and so you have pee'd it out! Happens to me every time, although 11lbs is a lot! I drank a bottle of wine last night and am 2lbs down today but I know that it will all go back on in a couple of days once my body is hydrated again.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    How about bowel movements? Like...did you get the runs? :wink:
  • scoutli
    scoutli Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better. I'm sure you lost a legit pound or two without taking the binge onto account. That said, I do love red wine! Hope it was fun!
  • bigblakey82
    Options
    I'm guessing dehydration and maybe some excess bowel movements.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    dehydration would be the most logical explanation for such a large body weight fluctuation
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing dehydration and maybe some excess bowel movements.

Congrats on making your first post!!!

barney-confetti.gif
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

It's considered a "study" if more people do it--I'd better do my part.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    That's totally normal. You're just massively dehydrated. Please drink as much water as you can today! Tomorrow your hydration levels will be back to normal along with your accurate weight ;)

Happens to me all the time ;)
  • losingit512
    losingit512 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

It's considered a "study" if more people do it--I'd better do my part.

I would like to help the betterment of science and will volunteer myself to this study this evening.