Scared of the scale! How do you deal?

Options
So i just started logging again a few days ago because after losing 20 lbs i found the number on the scale not going down at all which made me very depressed and i ended up not giving my all in my work out and actually crying during some of it. So tomorrow will be a week and time to weight again and im extremely nervous about it :( but i have to know what it says so i guess just wondering what you all do if you run into this how do stay positive is it normal to feel so down about it? I was thinking one thing i will do is weight in after my workout so there isn't a chance to be down about it during... hopefully since i feel i have had a great week it will show some movement but if not what are some good ways to stay positive? Thanks for reading

Replies

• bunnyboo7
    bunnyboo7 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    today is here still feel worried :( any thoughts ?
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    I can relate. Mine is in 5 days and each time I felt nervous. I tell myself not to worry about the scale. Instead, I look at my days and praise myself for sticking to healthy eating most of the time if not all the time as well as my exercise routine. I also pause to check how I feel and what my energy levels are. I look at how my clothes are fitting better and then I am ready to weigh at work on the 20th (I do not own a scale). Whatever the score, I am confident I did my best.

I trust you did too. Go for it!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you have been logging honestly and staying within your calorie goal what is there to fear?

edit: your diary looks good but it seems you have only been logging again for a few days?
  • bunnyboo7
    Options
    thanks some good advice yeah i have only been logging for a few days went from 253 to 227 and the last two weeks i just haven't moved at least it has not gone up so thats good but i still have a ways to go and i guess i was just thinking it would come off faster will see today going to wait till after my workout to weight in :)
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I had been losing slowly but steadily, but last week I gained 2lbs but I was sure it was water weight. I did the stupid thing of weighing myself the day before my normal weigh in day and I weighed 8lbs more than the week before, so the scales showed a 10lb gain in 2 weeks. I knew this was impossible and was probably water weight, but how demoralising. Anyway, I weighed in this morning and I had actually lost 5lbs - also impossible I would think. So in reality this was probably 2lb water gain last week (probably a little more) and an actual 3lb loss over 2 weeks. What I suppose I'm trying to say is don't pin all your hopes on a number on the scale. It fluctuates so much it's hard to judge what is real and what isn't. If you are eating at deficit and exercising regularly, it will show on your body and health, that's what is important. I had to remind myself of this too, it's amazing how that number on the scale can change one's mood - I went from totally depressed to elated overnight, but learned a very important lesson and that is just keep doing what you're doing. It gets you there in the end. Just get on the scale, it is what it is, not getting on it doesn't make you heavier or lighter. I'm seriously thinking of putting mine in the bin and just keeping a tape measure.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There is really more than just the scale! Even if your weight stays the same or even goes up, it is possible that you are losing inches. Also pay attention to how your clothes are fitting you and how you are feeling. For instance, maybe you used to get winded going up the stairs, but now you can climb two flights with no issue. That's a huge improvement regardless of what the scale says!
  • bunnyboo7
    Options
    tape measure that's good idea don't think i could do away with my scale thought lol ten burpees will have to try that cause i know they kick your butt and that article made a lot of sense thanks alot very helpful everyone. I feel a bit better going to try and just not worry about it ! Be positive i do feel better and have a lot more energy than i ever did before :)
  • bunnyboo7
    Options
    Very good point i have noticed having a lot more energy and being more up beat when cleaning the house or doing laundry! I also made it threw 30 ds lev 1 and the last few days were easy on to lev 2 know its a little more difficult woke up sore this am but i figure that means its working? lol at least i hope :)
  • knra_grl
    Options
    thanks some good advice yeah i have only been logging for a few days went from 253 to 227 and the last two weeks i just haven't moved at least it has not gone up so thats good but i still have a ways to go and i guess i was just thinking it would come off faster will see today going to wait till after my workout to weight in :)

26 lbs in two weeks? That's pretty extreme.

Healthy weight loss is 2 lbs per week max - when you first start you will lose more in the first couple weeks mostly due to water weight.

Also weigh first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything and preferably after your first visit to the loo - you will retain fluids after a workout.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that, but I don't anymore. I figured out the normal fluctuations, the UPS and downs and why and when, so now when I get on the scale it isn't a big deal. If the numbers higher then I'd like it to be, I know I need to work harder. But I don't beat myself up over it and stress over it. I only use the scale as a guide now, but I don't invest any emotions into the number anymore. So I would personally take it for what it is, and move on. Its nothing to get upset over. :-)
  • bunnyboo7
    Options
    No not in two weeks sorry took about 6 months this was before i started logging again and then when the scale stalled i figure i would give mfp another try i was pregnant and lost some of it at the end and he is now 3 months so it was 6 months total :) im not trying to lose to fast i am trying to make a healthy lifestyle change something that will last :)
  • bunnyboo7
    Options
    Thanks a lot everybody going to stop sitting on my butt on the pc and get moving :) feeling a lot better now
  • knra_grl
    Options
    No not in two weeks sorry took about 6 months this was before i started logging again and then when the scale stalled i figure i would give mfp another try i was pregnant and lost some of it at the end and he is now 3 months so it was 6 months total :) im not trying to lose to fast i am trying to make a healthy lifestyle change something that will last :)

Oh much better! lol :flowerforyou:

Stick with it - it works - this is the first time I have successfully stuck with any type of diet - well I don't really look at it as a diet - I have totally changed my views on dieting and know that a healthy and balanced meal plan is the key to success! I don't deprive myself of anything I like anymore - I just know if I want something I have to make it work or accept the fact that a day over in calories doesn't mean the end of my weight loss - I have come too far to throw it away on a bad day here and there :drinker: