First timer here

Options
Hey everybody I am joining this board looking to not just lose weight but to gain some knowledge and friends from this board. I have been trying to drop weight for a long time, and have had mixed results. Im 27, and I used to play alot of sports, including football, so there was a time when extra weight was a benefit. I was about 220lbs at my peak in high school and pretty muscular with a stomach too, but not really fat. Now I'm 27 about 242 and im fat lol. It sucks.

Growing up I had a great metabolism and I could eat whatever I wanted, but thats not the case anymore...sad times. So I tried to compensate by running alot and exercising. About 3 years ago I was running around 3 miles a day multiple times a week. Over the past 3 years I've logged probably close to 1,000 miles of jogging. I say all this to say that I enjoy exercising. Still I have managed to gain weight. Its so disappointing. No doubt it has to do with my late night eating habits.

So now I am looking to really do it this time. I want to set a goal and get to it. How do I start? To make matters worse I recently tore my achilles tendon so I can't run right now. I crank out a few hundreds situps every morning to get the blood flowing, but I can't do much else. I need guidance and a friend. I'm hoping something will click this time so I can stay committed to a new diet and lifestyle, or else I fear that when I am fully recovered I might be superduper fat.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Set your goal, and log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Skylark74
    Skylark74 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ^This^ definitely - working for me - even though I've not been completely "good".

Feel free to add if you need any support.
  • jolamerrill
    Options
    MFP helps you to set your goal....and then just start....start logging everything! And I mean everything....:):):) it's not easy but I am a firm believer writing it out as opposed to rationalizing in your head is the way to go!! Good luck ...and remember a bad moment doesn't mean a bad day just as the bad day doesn't have to be a bad week...just begin again and again if you need to !! Feel free to add for motivation or support!
  • RavensFanGuy
    Options
    Thank you so much for the support already. I feel better. I am going to try and make this a good weekend!
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! :) I plan to start posting my food journal publicly on Monday, it might help you get some nutrition ideas! I'm following a nutrition plan my trainer had given me awhile back. Good luck, you can do it! :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    GNR said it best........"just a little patience"!! It works, its just a journey. I have come to appreciate this journey though!!! Good luck!!