making goals?

Options
i know a lot of people make smaller goals to help them with their weight loss progress and i was wondering if anyone had tips for what they did/'rewards' for reaching those goals or anything like that? is it a good idea for a newbie to do or not? :/

Replies

• allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It is a motivational thing. If you can stay motivated with one big goal ("I want to lose X pounds/kg") that is totally cool. A lot of people prefer to have smaller goals so that little successes help with the motivational aspect and give some positive feedback on the way to the big end goal. You will find a lot of people also reset their "end goal" once they get there. They start with a weight or clothing size, then decide they want to attain other fitness goals (run a race, do 10 pull-ups, a weight lifting target or something else). It will be said, a lot, that this is a journey, not a target.

So, is it a good idea for those just getting started? Depends entirely on you, whatever floats your boat.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    IMHO rewarding yourself for an accomplishment is always do-able! Most people don't give themselves ENOUGH praise! So, newbie or not .. it's perfectly acceptable to reward yourself! We are our own worst critics ;)

Personally, I enjoy a good massage/pedicure as a reward. A new tattoo for a mile stone is one of my newest ideas. Alot of folks on here will talk about food rewards. However, I find that hindering my progress ultimately and don't want to make it a habit.

Whatever you decide, it's a great idea to love yourself for doing an awesome job!
  • ChristyB1117
    ChristyB1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What I have been doing this time - which is really helping - is pulling out a piece of clothing the next size down. It hangs in my closet in front of all my clothes. I already managed one size, so a new piece iis hanging there now. Tried it on this morning as a whim, and while it wasn't comfortable, I could zip it up! So I know a couple more weeks of really working at it - I should be able to wear it (a skirt) for Easter! Then I will find something the next size. This also helps me not focus on the scale so much, but more on how my clothes are fitting. HTH!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you wouldn't make goals. Granted I'm an anal retentive male appendage, but if you think about it you have goals in everything you do. Unless you just walk out your door every day with the mindset that you'll just end up where you end up at the end of the day.

I'm not sure what you're looking to do, but there are ways to make it motivational. If you're a runner, set a weekly mileage goal and when you hit it pay yourself a certain amount of money.

If you're into lifting, then when you hit that max you've been struggling with buy yourself a new weight belt or gloves or something you've been wanting.

If you're trying to lose weight then set a weight goal and when you reach it buy a new pair of jeans or something.

Your goals are your roadmap. Without it, you'll never reach your destination.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    For myself I do not give myself x amount of lbs lost rewards, since my overall goal isn't just seen on the scale I give myself time management rewards. For example I am almost finished the whole 30DS program, once I complete it I am giving myself the gift of some new weight equipment. This way even if I plateau or get frustrated at lower weight loss I can still be proud of myself for a healthy lifestyle change of eating and exercise. Next I think it will be after 50 work outs complete, a new outfit :D
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've done rewards for smaller goals.
    But how small are you thinking?

Several years ago I did WW, and the first 10 pounds came off in 2 weeks.

It slowed down, and after some more loss, I added in small goals 10 pounds to keep me motivated.

When I hit 45 lbs - I got a massage.
    At 55 lbs - I got a facial.
    At 65 lbs - I got my hair lowlighted.

It depends on what you want though. Maybe at 5 pounds, you buy a new CD.
    Or at 10 pounds, you buy a DVD you don't have.

My only other tip is this: do NOT make it a food reward! (that is what the occasional cheat meal is for.) :smile:
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You bet!!! I love making mini goals. I'm currently working towards losing the infamous last ten pounds, arguably the hardest! I broke it up into 2-3 pound increments. Rewards include: manicure, pedicure, hair products and new makeup stuff.

Saving the biggest reward (new clothes) until I reach my final weight.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Clothes to me aren't a reward, like so many people do. I am doing every 15 lbs.. My first 15 was a new hairdo. My next 15 will be the 200 lb. mark (only 4.5 to go) and then I'm going to buy a bathing suit (haven't owned one since 14 years and 100 pounds ago). I'm going to add water jogging and maybe a water aerobics class to my exercises. It also helps that as I walk the track at my fitness center, I look down on all the people enjoying the water in the pool. It looks sooooooo good!
  • MissMonicaC
    MissMonicaC Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of mini goals planned, but better work over time too! LOL. I think once I am half way to my goal I am going to go ahead and get myself a great skincare set *its more pricey*... stuff like that. I'm into the beauty related goodies, so maybe a new wishlist beauty product every once and while. My first 20 pounds which comes in 7 pounds.. is those flashy but oh so cute bright neon pink/blue nike shoes!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I make mine smaller things that I want but don't need. I love nail polish, so if I do well food/fitness wise for a week I'll treat myself to a new one. I think small rewards are a great idea!
  • horrorpod
    Options
    thank you for all the responses! i might try breaking it up into 7lb mini-goals, though i'm still not sure what i'd add as rewards because i'm not too big on spending money and i don't want to do food ones for sure. buying things is only for the big ones.
    i'm pretty sure i have some smaller clothes in my wardrobe i can stare at longingly, so i might work on setting it up so i have the next-size-down visible. i quite like that idea.

so many of you sound like you're doing well (and pretty close to your next goals as well) which really makes me happy to see that it works for you!
  • tgrlady
    tgrlady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey there, just wanted to add...

I had lost weight and gained it back so many times, I had the smaller clothes and the #'s on the scale, but what I really needed to motivate myself to do, was not give up. I have started and given up on fitness TOO many times in the past and so what I found worked for me - was lil motivators for just making it through the week!

Sometimes it was a special soap that I could enjoy while showering after my workouts. It didn't have to be big or expensive - I got myself a decal of a girly kettle bell after sticking with that a few months (cost - $3). I just want to encourage you to stick with it - keep those goals short and sweet and allow yourself to be proud of your hard work and dedication.
  • amaryng
    amaryng Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

It is nice to see everyone sharing their tips on the message board. I really like this & need the support. I joined "My Fitness Plan"
    7 months ago & though it didn't work for me because I didn't follow very well...I thought here I am again.
    I want to lose 50 pounds!

The last time I wanted too lose that much I did the Dr. Bernstein diet and worked, but it was the hardest diet and gained it back, plus more.

Anyways, here I am & I hope this time I will stay motivated and things will work.

Thanks for sharing everyone!
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I buy myself new clothes when I start not liking the way I look in my current clothes because I've lost weight and my clothes start looking funny on me. I only like "swimming" in an oversized sweatshirt, everything else needs to fit correctly, or I won't wear it because it makes me feel frumpy, which can lead to all sorts of bad things. If I like the way I look and feel in my clothes, I stay much more motivated.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I rewarded myself with things like a pedicure or a new outfit when I hit 25lbs lost, 40lbs lost, etc. My goals and rewards have changed quite a bit since I started, but definitely put some goals in place for yourself. Write them down, put them on your profile, do whatever you need to do to stay motivated and check off those goals.
  • sabrina19782014
    sabrina19782014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i had never thought of doing 'smaller' goals... but after reading all your lovely comments, i think i will try,, maybe half a stone at a time :) then something nice :)
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the strange one here. I put 20 one dollar bills in a jar. Every lb lost, I add 1 dollar. If I gain the money comes out. I want to see my results in front of me. When I have snack attacks, I just stare at that jar, and I REFUSE to take from that jar. Anyway, I have about 45 lbs to lose and want to see the money grow. Don't know what I will do with it, but I'm sure I will think of something with it. So 1/4 lb would be $.25 and so forth. Please don't think I'm crazy.....