Drinking water...peeing all night!

Options
What time do you STOP drinking liquids for the day? I've been drinking 90-100 oz of water a day and I try to stop by 7 pm. I'm still up peeing all night! Before I retire for the night, I go (what seems to be) every 15-20 mins...then I wake up about 2-3x in the late hours to go. I don't need to worry about an alarm clock because by 6:30 am, I'm having to go again. I'm 31...I need my sleep dang it! ;o) And dang, I'm using up a roll of TP every day (that can get costly ya know), LOL!

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I backed off the water. I got tired of running to the bathroom all the time. I drink when I'm thirsty. What the 'experts' neglect to mention is that we can get a lot of the water we need from food - especially if we are eating whole, natural foods and not boxed, processed foods.

Pee does not need to be clear. To quote one of my fellow Primal MFP-ers: "My dog drinks when he is thirsty and he pees a nice bright yellow." Only I change it to my cats.

And you aren't flushing more toxins out of the body. You are flushing out the same amount of toxins in more fluid.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    that lasted a few months for me. I can sleep through the night now. I think my bladder just needed to get used to it.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    some people say your bladder gets used to the water after a while but i've been drinking atleast 100 oz a day for over a year and I'm still peeing what seems to be atleast every 30 min during the day. I slack off on water by 6 and only drink 1 last glass with dinner, and a sip here or there when I feel thirsty. I do not drink during the night...I still wake up about twice a night but I seemed to do that before upping my water intake! lol...sucks
  • NicolaJane1313
    Options
    I have the same problem - I drink most of my water during the day - 2Ltrs of it! When I get home I will drink 1 or 2 herbal teas or if I exercise 750ml water! I don't drink anything after 7pm otherwise I too spend most of the night in the loo!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I backed off the water. I got tired of running to the bathroom all the time. I drink when I'm thirsty. What the 'experts' neglect to mention is that we can get a lot of the water we need from food - especially if we are eating whole, natural foods and not boxed, processed foods.
    True, but one thing to keep in mind is you cant really measure the water content of foods. You don't get nearly as much as you think.
    Pee does not need to be clear. To quote one of my fellow Primal MFP-ers: "My dog drinks when he is thirsty and he pees a nice bright yellow." Only I change it to my cats.
    Yea, and your pet isn't eating the same kind of extremely high protein foods, isn't working out at a high heart rate, and isn't trying to build muscle. All of these take additional water. Peeing clear is the easiest way to know you have had enough.

Bottom line: People trying to lose weight, build muscle, and eating a higher protein diet need WAY more water than a sedentary person.

Don't cheat yourself. Water has so many advantages for your body that you are better off drinking a little over and peeing it out than not getting enough.
    Water reduces muscle soreness, wards off "hunger" feelings (actually thirst feelings, but your body tricks you into thinking you are hungry) helps your body fight off infections, and a TON of other awesome things.

Don't take MY word for it, do a little research before you give bad advice.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    The plan I am on asks me to drink 208oz (26 cups) a day! Which I am a big guy so It was not too difficult..If I am drinking constantly... but the hard part was that the plan also wants you to stop drinking by 5pm.. which I found difficult... I lowered my water intake to 128oz.. which I found is much easier to do, and my body seems to agree more with 128oz than 208oz..

I think the trick to water intake is to find your magic number... and don't sweat it if you don't reach it.. I look at it as a reminder to drink a lot of water ... not to drink a specific amount.

The benefits of drinking more for me are that it helps me avoid feeling hungry.. and keeps me moving .. to get water and well ..get rid of it too.. I also heard that drinking ice cold water actually burns calories.. (not much..) 1 gallon is like 100 calories.. It also helps keep your liver metabolizing stored fat... kidneys need water to function.. without water the liver has to help the kidneys... rather than metabolizing stored fat.. (this is quoted from the plan I am on... I don't know if its true but it sounds good.. lol)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    90-100oz sounds like a lot. Back off a bit. I drink about half of my water by breakfast. then evenly distribute the rest through the day. Your body will determine what you need. I drink slightly less in the winter months and on days of rest, and slightly more during the summer months and workout days. If you are using your urine as an indication, color can change with certain food and vitamins. But it should be clear, not cloudy.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that you should drink half of your weight in oz...so I'm 179.6 lbs, if I go by this adage I should be drinking 90 oz of water a day. I drink about 60 oz by noon and the rest is done throughout the day. I'm just so sick of living in the bathroom.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I drink water all day. I get up to pee once or twice a night but I'm also pregnant so that doesn't help the bladder at all.
    Pee should be as clear as possible. The more yellow it is indicates you are dehydrated so some extent BUT .. some multi vitamins make you pee yellow in any case.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options

And you aren't flushing more toxins out of the body. You are flushing out the same amount of toxins in more fluid.

Well said! :bigsmile:
  • JenniCH
    JenniCH Posts: 74
    Options
    I drink between 60-80 oz a day and yes, I may make quite a few trips to the bathroom but I just think of it as I'm burning extra calories with those extra trips, ha ha... I've been doing this since... March and I RARELY get headaches anymore (I used to get them every day) and my skin is clearer and a whole host of other stuff is better... I experimented for ONE week and went back to my old water habits (drank when I was thirty... which seemed to be never) and I felt like absolute **** the entire week - like I used to feel, I'll never do that again.
    Do LOTS of research on the benefits of water... but maybe instead of 90-100 oz... back down to 70-80?
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I drink water when I'm exercising, I figure if you sweat, you need to replace it. The rest of the time I drink coffee or hot chocolate. My last drink is about 2 hours before I go to bed and I STILL end up peeing at least twice in the night.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I drink water all day. I get up to pee once or twice a night but I'm also pregnant so that doesn't help the bladder at all.
    Pee should be as clear as possible. The more yellow it is indicates you are dehydrated so some extent BUT .. some multi vitamins make you pee yellow in any case.

Congrats.... Plus, peeing all night will get you acclimated to no sleep when the little one comes.
    :wink:
  • rymea
    rymea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have that problem when I take vitamins. I don't know which vitamin or mineral it is in the multi that causes that problem for me. Also they make me hungry. I don't take at all them any more.