BMI or Body fat %

Options
2»

Replies

• Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering this! I am just under 5 feet. I weigh 140 (Down 29 lbs) and yet my BF % is supposedly 38. I need to keep losing weight, no doubt about that, but 38%? Doesn't that mean I have over 50lbs of body fat left?
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I doubt you're really 28% body fat at 174 with a BMI of 31. I would guess at 35% or higher.

Did you try the three different calculators at http://www.fat2fittools.com/ ?

I have my body fat tested every month. I am 172 with a BF of 28%. I am only 5'5" but I am a weightlifter. I am 40. I have 125 pounds of lean mass. We don't all enter the nursing home at 30.:noway:

I'm not sure where the OP is but based on pics, I suspect it might be higher than 28% but she has still made excellent progress. My point is that it is possible to be in the 170s, female, older, and have a healthy body fat. I am going for 22%. Scale is out the window!

me to at a high 23.xx percent now :) 22 would be great for me! Pushing onto the 40s train as well!

Also I would geuss 35 or higher based on pictures...BUT that does NOT negate all the hard work you have done and you look great. But I think you are fooling yourself by trying to find a magic number that puts you in the "healthy" range. Honestly at 5'2'' you have a lot of work left.

The work CAN BE done, just stop trying to mentally "fool" yourself with numbers. You look great and have come so far. I said "I cant get below 140 that just isnt for me" and woke up at 133 last week dying for my next run and weight lifting session and wondering about my lean muscle gains :)

Dont sell yourself short yet, keep working!

Thank you for the positive and encouraging words. I didn't think I was fooling myself but maybe I am. I always figured when I hit 140 I would reevaluate anyway to see if I wanted to try and go a little lower.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Im 5"2 and 127. Bmi puts me obese too and i wear a 4.

BMI = 23.25 = healthy
    correct thank you i was remembering that from some other site that was a hip/ waist ratio or some other way to figure and one of the instructors at gym said it told him he was obese too. And he definetly is not. And when i was about 10 lbs heavier a doctor that i saw about my gallbladder said i had a high bmi so i must not be eating as well as i claimed , well my gallbladder was fine it was another issue so needless to say i didnt go back to him.