Curious why many don't show loss tickers

Options
sodakat
sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
I've been reading the forums for about 2 months. I see lots of posts by people who don't have a weight loss ticker. What would be a reason not to show your success?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Not everyone shares the same values. I think it keeps me a little more accountable, but I know that sometimes people judge advice given based on how successful they perceive the originator of that advice based on their ticker. Another attitude might be that you could consider it bragging - Look at how much weight I've lost!

Or maybe you're just not having any success.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is here to lose weight.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I proudly show off my ticker because i started from such a fat place, i can display a big number. Some people were never that fat, but they come here to gain muscle, or for running advice, or just to lose those 5-10 pesky pounds they gained over a few years.

They should make tickers with your lift numbers for the bro guys, or with your marathon times for the runners.
  • sunandskies
    sunandskies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not really trying to lose weight, just to eat healthier and get fitter / tone. If they had a scale for number of push ups completed or specifically body fat percentage I'd think about it, but I'm not so concerned with what my scale says, so don't deal with the ticker.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight before MFP and about 20 Lbs or so since joining MFP and I've been maintaining for about 10 months...the ticker just doesn't do anything for me...I don't really care about it...it doesn't give me goose bumps or anything and I don't need it for motivation or anything like that.

I think it would be cool if there was a health meter or something like that which would maybe display my starting blood test results and my current results...I'm far more into that and far more impressed by that than I am a number on the scale or how much weight I've lost.

To boot, my goals are completely different now than they were a year and a half ago and the ticker really doesn't accurately say anything about those goals.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    One thing I can think of is maybe the amount lost is not quite accurate? For me I feel this way sometimes because I have lost 115 lb from my highest weight 5 years ago to now, but I've lost 71 lb (the amount shown in my ticker) just on MFP in the past year. Some topics cause me to explain that I did lose weight before joining...not like I am trying to compete with anyone, but I do think 71 and 115 lb are pretty different losses.

Also, maybe some people just don't want their ticker shown. Dunno :-)
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    MFP isn't just about weight loss. I don't need to lose any weight. I'm only here to track my nutrients and exercise. :)
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    There's a lot more to fitness than just weight loss. I keep it because when I started my goals were more weight-oriented but there are plenty of other reasons folks join MFP.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight before MFP and about 20 Lbs or so since joining MFP and I've been maintaining for about 10 months...the ticker just doesn't do anything for me...I don't really care about it...it doesn't give me goose bumps or anything and I don't need it for motivation or anything like that.

I think it would be cool if there was a health meter or something like that which would maybe display my starting blood test results and my current results...I'm far more into that and far more impressed by that than I am a number on the scale or how much weight I've lost.

To boot, my goals are completely different now than they were a year and a half ago and the ticker really doesn't accurately say anything about those goals.
    Yes! I'd love to have a resting heart rate ticker. :happy:
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Mostly because I'm lazy.

I think I have one of the weight loss ticker thingies on my profile though.. Does that count?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

word.
  • jolamerrill
    Options
    I have a good amount of weight to lose. But I have also found that accountability about what I put into my body ...with my logging...as well as getting out there and moving and doing the right things is what's most important to me. The ticker works for some but for me it s more of a hindrance....I get lost in the number ...whether it goes up or down becomes almost obsessive. So...I rely on my logging and getting my exercise as I should. Calories in And out are my numbers :):):)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    don't know why it matters. I never considered showing my loss ticker, I don't know why anyone would care how much weight I've lost.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Asked and answered?
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I didn't show one for months because I couldn't figure out how to do it.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't have one because I gained weight after joining MFP. I've only gotten back to my joining weight for the past week. So there's been nothing to show off.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    One thing I can think of is maybe the amount lost is not quite accurate? For me I feel this way sometimes because I have lost 115 lb from my highest weight 5 years ago to now, but I've lost 71 lb (the amount shown in my ticker) just on MFP in the past year. Some topics cause me to explain that I did lose weight before joining...not like I am trying to compete with anyone, but I do think 71 and 115 lb are pretty different losses.

Also, maybe some people just don't want their ticker shown. Dunno :-)
    FYI you can enter weigh-ins from before you joined MFP.
  • That_yak
    That_yak Posts: 3
    Options
    Like the few above, I am here to gain weight. :)
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't like scales, so prefer to go by inches and how clothes feel.