Walking Around Shopping = Logged Exercise?

Options
Okay, so, this might be an odd question. I was wondering whether or not walking around a town shopping should be added to my "exercise" on MyFitnessPal diary. It is walking, and it is obviously exercise, but should it count?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If your base setting in MFP is "sedentary", sure.

Just be careful about eating back those calories -- the exercise database here doesn't subtract off your base burn, so the 70-100 calories/hr that you normally would have been burning just sitting on the couch watching TV is sort of double-counted.
  • iSharnie
    iSharnie Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, I thought along the same lines, that it's a normal routine thing so it doesn't count as additional calorie burn. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am going to go NO as this is just something that you do anyway …

Using this logic, I could log getting up and walking around the house…

If it something that you normal do i.e. walking do not go log it..

if it is something additional = working out, running, then yes log it..

just my opinion on the matter...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I logged a couple hours of moderate paced walking when my sister and I went on an all day shopping trip. We were shopping for about 5 or 6 hours

If I am just doing a regular shopping I don't log it.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't count it necesarrily on here but I have a Fitbit Force and it tracks my steps and calculates in extra calories burned for that.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My setting is "sedentary" so for me the answer's yes. But I purposely under-log that kind of activity.

Example:

3 hours walking around a town shopping, stopping to try on clothes, browse in a store, wait in line to make a purchase, maybe stop for 10-15 minutes for a quick coffee or small snack...I log 60 min walking at leisurely pace

70 minutes walking at the mall, basically doing laps, and stopping in 2 stores to look at items and making 1 small purchase...I log 60 min walking at leisurely pace

75 minutes walking at brisk pace and hiking up a very difficult hill onto a rocky cliff and back down onto a walking track...I log 30 min walking leisurely, 30 min walking brisk or moderate, and 15 min hiking.

This is just what works for me.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah my FitBit calculates it for me, so I don't actually log it as exercise but if it gives me an extra 5000 steps then bonussss
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This is one of the the reasons I got my fitbit.

I was driving myself nuts with the various calculations on how to calculate my TDEE.

The fitbit calculates it for me. (Coincidentally, it pretty much matches the various calculations I was using, but it's nice to have one less thing to worry about).