Shopping list

Options
Romyarts2014
Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
Hello MFP friends

I am making my new grocery list for low calorie foods
I buy food for 2 weeks at a time now so any low calorie ideas would be great

I put all the veggies and fruits and whole wheats etc
but idk if theres other things you guys use in your every day meal planning.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (depends on brand)
    Cheese sticks (60 calories per stick)
    Canned tuna (100 calories per can)
    Brown rice (1 cup = 150 calories)
    Lettuce
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Mushrooms
    Cucumbers
    Carrots
    Garlic
    Avocados
    Grapefruit
    Kiwi
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Bananas
    Black beans
    Chick peas
    White beans
    Walnuts
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Eggs
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Turkey
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I make sure to buy spices...either fresh or dried but things to add flavors. I also use Salsa's for dressings and for on meat or as a flavor for rice... I buy Great Value simply because well nice size jar, cheap and it taste great! Like White Corn and Black Bean Salsa or my new favorite Peach and Pineapple Chipotle Salsa great with pork or chicken in a salad or rice... if you eat blah foods you will fall into the not so good for you foods.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I was eating a lot of junk; I didn't have to do much shopping, because a few boxes of cookies and cakes would last me. Now, I am buying fruits and veggies and have to go every few days. I make salad in 2 quart jars, and make enough to last the week. My list is as follows:
    hearts of romaine lettuce-6 pack
    roma tomatoes
    raw sunflower kernels
    raw walnuts
    cucumbers
    bell peppers-all colors
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    eggs
    Morningstar farms veggie burgers
    oranges
    bananas
    strawberries
    raw broccoli
    spinach--raw and frozen
    Red wine vinegar
    salsa
    Himalayan pink sea salt
    ground pepper
    red pepper flakes
    onions-red and white
    shallots
    cherry or grape tomatoes
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Pam cooking spray
    Weight Watchers string cheese
    Swiss Miss diet hot cocoa mix
    Skim milk
    Light whipped topping
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    On the canned tuna advice, make sure to read up on the mercury content in different brands/kinds. It's kind of crazy how much mercury can be in fish.

That being said, canned chickpeas, farmed fish and eggs. What I do to help myself is make a menu (I buy a month at a time) for L & D (I have the same thing for breakfast every morning- an egg, some pork sausage, slice of cheese, quarter avocado.) and then make a grocery list based off of that. That way I don't have foods that go bad, I'm not overspending, and I'm not stressing over 'what to eat' because I know its already planned out!

EDIT: I also then stick to the list on what I'm buying, that way I can't stray and "accidentally" come home with some potato chips. ;)
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    interesting lists..many of the same items on my grocery list...I also buy a lot of chicken...boneless/skinless breasts
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I like to have some frozen veg an fruit on hand
    a couple cartons of no salt added soup broths (vegetable, beef or chicken) *make sure it's no salt added or low sodium!
    lean meats
    turkey bacon or sausage
    egg whites in the carton
    cheese (i usually don't buy low fat cheese I just limit my portions to a half ounce when I want it on a sandwich)
    canned tomatoes
    I recently bought 0 fat miracle whip and I like it (not a fan of the 0 fat stuff usually)
    olive oil
    yogurts (usually plain greek and some with fruit added for snacks or you can add your fresh fruit)
    cottage cheese
    vegetable oil spray (0 cals for a 4 - 5 second mist will save you calories from oil or butter when you don't really need it)
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    For me, snacks that aren't high in calories are important so that I have something decent to reach for when I'm craving!

I did my shopping yesterday and for snacking I bought:

String cheese
    Popcorn
    Pineapple
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Blueberries
    Mango
    Grapes
    Low-cal yoghurts
    Nutri-Grain blueberry cereal bars
    Crackers
    Crackerbread
    Ice cream
    Jelly (Jello) pots
    Rice pudding pots
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    In addition to low calorie, I find High fiber to fill me up, which means I eat fewer calories.

roasted chickpeas
    airpopped popcorn (with curry! yum! And the extra flavor convinces my brain I don't need so much)
    those strange dehydrated peas
    apples
    wheat bran muffins with yogurt and blueberries, or just about anything
  • stubbycat
    stubbycat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower
    Carrot Sticks
    Apples and peanut butter (great snack - 2 T PB: just count it)
    Whipped cream cheese
    Bagel thins from Brownberry - I like the "Everything" variety
    Sandwich thins - much better for sandwiches and not all that bread. The other thing I am going to try is eating a REALLY GOOD (snall) bun/bread if I want a sandwich - and then counting it!
    1% cottage cheese - great on baked potatoes instead of butter and sour cream
    Real butter - but I admit to not using much. Butter is not my challenge
    Real maple syrup
    Frozen waffles
    Eggs - 1 hard boiled egg is a great snack! (One of my favorite bkfts is one waffle, poached egg on top,1- 2 T warm maple syrup
    Fruit cups backed in real juice - read the back labels carefully
    All natural (no sugar or substitutes!) apple sauce, individual serving cups
    Salad dressing that you LOVE - use only 2 TB, COUNT IT, and enjoy. I hate diet dressings!!! I dip my fork in the dressing with each bite instead of pouring it on the salad
    Real mayonnaise and miracle whip - don't buy the phony stuff. Limit usage and count it. The fat in some things will help to keep you from getting hungry and from feeling deprived.
    Spices - Cracked pepper - I love pepper! Lemon peel or lemon pepper enhance flavor. Smoked paprika, chili powder, cinnamon
    Radishes (radishes, celery sticks and carrots are great floating in water in the fridge - open the door and reach for them when you want a munch!)
    Mini peppers
    Onions
    Cabbage - Love cabbage, onions and peppers cooked together in a little water - I use my fry pan so they spread out and cook fast)
    Low sodium granulated chicken buoillion - great to cook in rather than using oils for stir frys.
    Safflower oil for cooking - withstands high heat
    Olive oil for eating (salad dressings) and flavoring - I have heard it breaks down when heated and looses it's nutritional
    Cans of crushed red tomatoes
    Jars of jalapeno peppers to keep in fridge - chop up as needed to add flavor
    Cans of green chili's (2 or 4 oz) to flavor recipes
    Hot sauce
    Meats should have "loin" in the name - those are the lean cuts
    Chicken, chicken, chicken....We put a whole chicken in the set if and forget it, then have leftovers for chicken in salads, stir fry, etc. You don't have to invest in the expensive chicken breasts all the time! Whole chickens are much cheaper!
    Canned pumpkin - use in cake and brownie mixes instead of oil and other ingredients (apple sauce too sometimes) - check out the WW website for recipes. Another answer for your sweet tooth - top shelf in baking mix section: No Pudge! varieties. I pretty much stay out of this section, but I do have these items in my cupboard if I need a sweet fix.
    Vanilla flavored yogurt - great for breakfast with fruit, and in recipes (No Pudge)
    Make your own trail mix with UNSALTED nuts - raw cashews, pecans, sunflower seeds, walnuts,.....can add some raisins or craisins for a sweet mix.....1/4 cup will fill you up in the middle of the day - measure into something and take with you. I lose control if I don't take only what I measure out - it's good! Count it!

Sorry this was so detailed, but it was a wonderful reminder TO ME of what I should be doing as well! Thank you for the mental exercise! Good luck! :drinker:
  • Meginkg
    Meginkg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My usual shopping list is something like this:

-High protein Greek yoghurt
    -Oranges
    -Apples
    -Bananas (Literally these are my wonderfood - I eat banana pancakes or banana porridge most days... super filling)
    -Oats
    -Almond milk
    -Berries
    -Chickpeas/kidney beans/etc... great to cook in stews with cans of chopped tomato and added spices
    -Mango
    -Cucumber, tomato, onion, lime - cheap, quick salsa with a tiny bit of salt compared to the store-bought stuff
    -Hummus
    -Seafood - prawns or salmon
    -peanut butter
    -Chicken
    -Grapes
    -Rice cakes (especially flavoured ones...)
    -Peppers
    -Wholemeal wraps
    -Chicken (with the above 3 can make fajitas pretty healthily)
    -Popcorn!
  • kimmmunoz
    kimmmunoz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you said you buy spices, I wanted to ask, Have you ever tried Wildtree products?
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the grocery lists. there was a lot of good info and i stole most of yalls ideas haha,
    I moved to Europe 5 months ago (Netherlands) , But I grew up in America on walmart products so its soooo hard
    trying to figure out what to eat here with the labels being all weird and I just dont understand them

this is the one i made,

please tell me if anything is a no no :)

Or if theres anything else i forgot.
    You guys are awesome and thanks guys

Fruits - Apples, oranges, bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes, blueberries
    avacoado, nectarines, tomatoes, pineapple, honeydew melon, kiwi

Veggies- Onion, carrots, peppers, zucchini, broccoli, celery, asparagus, spinach, squash, cucumber,
    romaine lettuce, kale and brussel sprouts, corn

Beans - Black , pinto, kidney, navy and garbanzo

Grains- Whole wheat pasta, steel cut oats, brown rice, couscous, pita pockets

Meat
    Chicken
    Pork chops
    Fish and shrimp
    lean unproccessed sandwich meat

Dairy
    Low fat milk
    Eggs
    Plain yogurt and honey to add for flavor
    Butter
    Cheese

Spices
    cinnamon
    garlic cloves
    cayenne pepper
    vanilla extract
    olive oil

Other
    Canned tomatoes
    oatmeal
    hummus
    walnuts
    whole grain bread
    rice cakes
    english muffins
    baking powder
    baking soda
    packaged fruits
    tomatoe sauce
    raisins
    garlic chilli oliver oil
    low calorie popcorn
    special k
    figs
    skim milk
    chocolate puddings to freeze
    pistachios
    tuna cans
    cottage cheeze
    goldfish
    granola bars
    goat milk
    and goat cheeze
  • JimiB73
    JimiB73 Posts: 34
    Options
    Some of these aren't necessarily cheap, but here's a list of items I eat regularly:

Plain Greek yogurt ( Fage is my favorite brand)
    Protein powder (cellucor cinnamon swirl or molten chocolate)
    Eggs
    Boneless/skinless chicken breast
    Tilapia
    Bananas
    Sweet potatoes
    Kale
    Broccoli
    Ezekiel bread
    Tuna
  • timetravelforfitness
    Options
    if you can find it, candied ginger is also a great little snack. It's got a fair bit of sugar, usually, so it's a bit of an indulgence, but it's a little bit sweet and a lot bit...ginger! Full flavor is great for getting rid of the munchies. And whatever it is in spicy peppers that helps with insulin control is supposedly in ginger. I don't understand much about that, but I know that 1/7-2/7th of the serving size is enough to help me when I'm feeling "craving-y."
  • timetravelforfitness
    Options
    Oh, it's also great in plain yogurt.
  • timetravelforfitness
    Options
    And...sorry, I'm not very good at putting all my thoughts together at once...I don't think anything on your list is bad...BUT, having a large variety of things tends to make us hungry. (The I Diet book is great at explaining this.) So your list seems VERY long to me. I have found it easier to not think about food so much (along with health reasons that made me fear it a bit) by having only a few options at a time. I tend to have 3 options for breakfast, with a banana on most days (sometimes I'll grab oranges if they're on sale, but it's rare), a choice of two or three veg, most days a salad or lentil soup for lunch, or leftovers (I've been horrible at this for the last couple weeks, but when I do it it's an easier day) and go all out for dinner. I keep only one kind of nut/trail mix, two or three snack vegetables, two kinds of apples (one kid likes green, the other red) and one kind of other snack things (just look what happens when I buy pop tarts for a vacation treat. Terrible!)

I'm not ALWAYS so stingy, and I do have other food on hand for the kids (which is off limits to me) but keeping it simple has really changed the way I think about food. I really recommend checking out the book (I Diet or Identity Diet), and trying what she recommends by way of limiting your food options (in other words, don't just take my word for it). :)
  • marilanasather
    Options
    I'm interested in how you make a salad in two qt jars??
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My weekly fresh foods list includes:
    Tomatoes on the vine
    Green onions
    Sweet peppers
    Sugar snap peas
    Baby carrots
    Cucumbers
    Bananas

Things I don't have to buy weekly, but still buy maybe once or twice a month:
    Baby spinach
    Yellow onion
    Apples
    OPA Greek yogurt ranch
    Hummus
    100-calorie packs of almonds
    Crunchy raisin bran
    Pretzels
    Wheat thins
    Laughing Cow cheese wedges
    Fat Free half & half
    2% milk
    Eggs
    Egg whites
    Sliced turkey [I get the Walmart FF smoked turkey breast]
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    Tuna
    Frozen chicken breasts
    Frozen tilapia
    Russet potatoes

I shop at Walmart, & most of these things are pretty inexpensive. I spend maybe $25 a week on my fresh foods. On a bigger shopping day/if I need more of these items, it may be more like $35-$40. But usually after the first big shopping trip, the smaller weekly ones are way less expensive & it's worth staying on top of the shopping to keep it that way.
  • sunshinenstars
    sunshinenstars Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • mubalina
    mubalina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fellow expat here =) Food Shoppers Guide to Holland is a great resource. It helped me a lot when I was trying to navigate food stuff here!