21 day challenge - for the chocoholics

Options
Hi,

I have to finally admit that I am a chocoholic. I think I have always been. Its like alcoholism, its an addictive. A nutritionist recently told me that if you stay away from a craving for 21-days, you can get over it. It sounds like a very long time, but then I want to get rid of this habit for good. The - "don't deprive yourself" does not work for me because even a piece of chocolate just triggers a binge response.
So here is a thread for all chocoholics who face similar issue. Lets help each other and be chocolate free for at least 21 days. Whenever you feel like will to eat chocolate is over powering you, come here and log it.

I have been chocolate free for 2 days now, though that was because I am sick and eating anything is just nauseating. But hey, any reason counts ;)

Replies

• hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I was a biscuit-aholic especially a chocolate bisuit-aholic. When I decided to embark on my weight-loss journey I made the decision to go to healthy eating for life - as I have heard so much about how bad diets are. So I dropped biscuits immediately and started snacking on healthy food. Surprisingly it was not so painful. I don't know why or how because I have never considered myself to have will power at all. I love food and ate pretty much what and when I wanted. If you asked me to give them up I would have said no (then kung-fu'd you into next week!!). That was 7 weeks 4 days ago.

So I am here to say it IS possible. I can't help you and say how or why I did it unfortunately. Maybe the shock of my weight on the scales was enough for me. I think I can now safely say I don't want another biscuit ever again. Whooop.

Good luck with it.
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Day 3 without chocolate.
    Weekends are easy because I don't keep chocolate at home, and I don't usually go out where I can get chocolate. Earlier I used to make excuses to go out and get chocolates on the weekend, but I think I can control that now.
    Weekdays are tough as I have constant access to this stuff at work. Just need to remember my resolve. 18 more days to go.
  • Pokee1
    Pokee1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    This is so for me! I love chocolate and didn't realize how much I was consuming at work until I stopped! Yikes! I am happy to say I have been chocolate free for 2 weeks now, with only two give-ins.
    I'm going start fresh with you and try the 21 days chocolate free. I had also given up coffee at the same time. That first week I was a bear!
    Day 1 starting now!
  • bluedolphin2828
    bluedolphin2828 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used to eat 6 bars of chocolate a day (3 X galaxy camel, 3 X wispas) every day. For years. I love chocolate. I used to look forward to eating chocolate. I tried to stop eating so much and couldn't do it. For some reason, on December 15th, I just stopped. It's the least likely thing you'd expect from someone like me. I gorged on chocolate and considered making myself sick each day so I could eat more. I haven't eaten it since. Here's what helped me.

1. I made a chart on my wall and every day without chocolate I coloured it in bright pink highlighter -- seeing all those circles build up made/makes me very happy.
    2. I let myself smell it when someone else is eating it. Ppl at work have accepted the crazy but it works!
    3. When you want it, imagine buying it (in real time), imagine eating it then think o-k well I wouldn't have it any more anyway.
    4. You have to let yourself have something sweet, especially when you really really want it...so my saviour was and is blackcurrant flavour yo yos. You need to help with the craving otherwise you find yourself giving up, or at least that's what kept happening to me over the last 8 years.

Finally (and sorry about this), for me anyway, you won't stop craving it after 21 days. I haven't eaten it for over 70 days and every single day I want it. Most days I can think about it once or twice and that's it. Yesterday, though, I thought about it for hours the whole evening. I sent lots of pathetic texts to my husband which looked roughly like this.

"I want chocolate"
    "I really really want it" etc. I sent over 20!

However it is possible and it feels so amazing to not be the slave of chocolate -- I would do anything for chocolate but I now I feel so much better, fitter and healthier. I know you can do it! Good luck!
  • hiker583
    Options
    I know that I would always want chocolate, I wanted it even when I was a child and they were very hard to come by. But I think they have a addictive factor, the one that over-powers any will power or logic in your head. I was almost chocolate free for the month of december when I was travelling, and after that it was easier to say no. Then I slowly gave in one square at a time. My hope with 21-day challenge is after this my cravings will be less strong and I would be able to say no or be happy with eating something else.
  • hiker583
    Options
    Day 4 without chocolate.
    Tomorrow is going to be real test as I will be in office, close to all the temptation. I hope I come back here and say "day 5 without chocolate", then I would just have to go through 4 more days before the happy weekend.
  • hiker583
    Options
    Day 5 without chocolate
    yes! well, almost. I had a small square because I was feeling a bit hungry and did not want to eat apple, but it was aweful and did not feel like eating any more anyway. So I consider that a success, there was no old style stuffing my face with chocolate.
  • hiker583
    Options
    Broke it today, had a chocolate mosse that was presented to me, felt aweful after that. But thankfully I will remember this feeling next time I get tempted.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Broke it today, had a chocolate mosse that was presented to me, felt aweful after that. But thankfully I will remember this feeling next time I get tempted.

Do you really think you'll be able to go the rest of your life without eating chocolate?
  • HSAV30
    HSAV30 Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't think I could do a week or a day.

but I think I will see and start morrow as I have already had two bars so far lol!
  • hiker583
    Options
    yes, I do believe that I can go rest of my life without "stuffing my face with chocolate every day". Thanks for the support.
  • hiker583
    Options
    @HSAV30 - Tomorrow is a great start! Lets start counting ....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Day 4 without chocolate.
    Tomorrow is going to be real test as I will be in office, close to all the temptation. I hope I come back here and say "day 5 without chocolate", then I would just have to go through 4 more days before the happy weekend.

What happens on "the happy weekend?" Is that when you get to have chocolate again?

ETA: OK, I see it in a post above. On the weekends you don't have access to chocolate vs. work, where it's all over the place. Question answered. Carry on. :drinker:
  • mscott2089
    mscott2089 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm joining starting today no chocolate ...may the force be with me!!! :)
  • hiker583
    Options
    Day 7 was a success
    Day 8 - had 1.5 chocolate squares, but 70% dark. That stuff you cannot eat a lot.

Hoping for a chocolate free Day 9, 10, and 11.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Day 1 for me. My sugar had gotten out of control. It's so insidious - every day I wanted a teensy bit more until it got ridiculous. I deceived myself counting portions. That's when I knew I had to stop.

I put a sign where my stash was - listing some of the consequences of a chocolate choice - fat rolls, diabetes, etc. Losing the ability to walk. And some names of people I know who eat tasty things but their lives are a self-indulgent mess. This is from Beck I think: when you have a strong time, like early morning, then prep your arguments to your weak self that you know will be around later. Make sure that when you think chocolate, alongside the sweet taste, you have a vivid motivational image. Maybe put a picture of an addict on your fridge. And a picture of health. Go walk up and down the stairs, and feel gratitude that you can do it.

Another thing is the Buddhist detachment approach. Notice that you miss the sugar, which was expected. Accept the feeling as part of the transition, and note the time and what you were doing. Then fill your mind with something else.
    When you miss it again, note the time again. The intervals between cravings should get longer, as you get used to its absence. Even if something triggers the feeling - such as sitting in work chair- now I know that, I expect it, and I know it will pass in a few minutes. It's like feeling the rain on your head for a minute- just a tiny insignificant part of what your senses feel that day.

Been here before, I know I can do this.
  • hiker583
    Options
    Day 9 - was ok, did a 6.5mile run. No chocolates.
    Day 10 - was a total mess up, chocolate and ice cream on the menu.
    Day 11 - Nice short body pump workout. No chocolates.

Week 2 starts tomorrow.