Weighing Daily VS Weighing Weekly

Options
I have heard, and can make, a VERY reasonable argument for both sides. I have my own opinion but I am interested in hearing everyone else's. Go!

Replies

• ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have done both. I was ok with weighing in weekly, especially since my weigh in day was Monday after 2 days of rest and eating well (I know, I'm weird for eating well on weekends lol), so the results were fairly satisfying.

I started weighing in daily since I wanted to use a spreadsheet and be more accurate, and I am happier this way. I can figure out my water weight fluctuations better and work with weekly averages rather than once a week number, which can be off...
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I weigh once monthly! I always see a loss and I don't stress if I've gone a week without losing.:wink:
  • grapefruithero
    grapefruithero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I prefer weighing myself weekly, because I can get a bit obsessive about the scale and seeing my weight go up (even though I know it's supposed to fluctuate) discourages me. I'm not the kind of person who can see the forest for the trees, I suppose.
  • regcal966
    regcal966 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but I only log my weight on Fridays.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Weekly for me. Otherwise, I obsess over the number ("Wtf?! I only ate 1800 calories yesterday, why the F*** is my weight HIGHER today?!?!?" Guess I'll only eat 1200 today!") and starve myself to make the number go down ... which, really, is just a small leap to full on anorexia.

I feel like weighing in weekly gives me a little more perspective and allows me to relax a bit. As long as I'm tracking my calorie intake and knowing my deficit, then I can look at those weekly numbers, even if they're not going down as quickly as I'd hoped, and still know that I'm ok.

But if I checked daily, I'd turn into a total obsessive basketcase.
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I weigh in most days but to do that you can't let fluctuations in weight get to you. There is no one right way.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log daily...both up and down
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My normal routine is to weight myself between physicals (HA!). Now, I'm going to weight semi-monthly. I may track other status like body fat percent and blood pressure just to get more familiar with my body.
  • Pusarah
    Pusarah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with the do what suits you best.
    I do weigh daily, maybe that will curb eventually...but for now it keeps me in check and I'm ok with that. I only log my weight on Mondays tho. I'm happy, don't think it bothers anyone and like I said, maybe it will change in the future and I won't want to keep such rigid tabs on myself.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself hourly. it's fun to watch it go up and down so much.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every 6-8 weeks or so, lately. It makes it all feel much more like an actual lifestyle change rather than some kind of condition I am monitoring. It also keeps me motivated because I don't get discouraged by seeing the slow change in numbers, or the occasional, temporary gain. It's much more motivating to see 8-10 lbs difference than 1 lb or a few ounces.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Daily. Helps me see just how much my weight bounces around no matter what.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on most days. No particular reason other than habit. I don't stress about the fluctuations though, as I think of my weight as a 5-pound range rather than an absolute number.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Daily, then I plot it in excel and look at the trendline.
  • kmr72
    kmr72 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This. I go to the dr. once a month and we use the same scale. It keeps me motivated.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    do what works for you , and accept that you are not a sheeple, others may advise but they don't live in your mind.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use the Trendweight site to get rid of the daily fluctuations.
  • PatriciaTousignant
    PatriciaTousignant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself monthly when I take my measurements. I find that daily is a bit too obsessive and can lead to people giving up.
  • frankmochrie
    frankmochrie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I weight myself on Monday evenings and find it helpful. The one thing I find strange is that I can weight myself on Monday morning and then again in the evening and find that the evening weight is lower, so of course I use that one.

57895803.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools