Myfitness pal and exercise

Options
I've realised that if I put my exercise on when I do it throughout the day, I seem to acquire for calories to burn... Should I just put my exercise on at the end of the day and just stick to my 1400 calories through food?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If you entered your information into MFP and MFP told you to eat 1400 calories to lose weight, that is the total you should eat NOT INCLUDING what you burn from exercise. In other words, you'll lose your target per week even if you never do a single minute of exercise. This is because LOSING is JUST about taking in less calories than you put out, and MFP automatically gives you a number, in your case 1400 calories a day, that is less intake than your output.

So if you exercise on top of that deficit, with the MFP plan you are supposed to eat back at least a portion (1/2 to 2/3) of the calories that you burn off, so that your NET calories (your 1400/day PLUS exercise calories that they add back for you to eat) doesn't drop too low. Too low can lead to a number of issues like being irritable, having too little energy to fuel your workouts (which in turn can lead to poor form and possible injury), etc.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Eat back most. Don't be tempted to create an even bigger deficit by not doing so. Its not a cheat or shortcut to better faster results. Look at your net calories I see people net below 1000 and this is so bad. Exercising your body with insufficient calories is like driving your car with no oil. ( I wrote my car off last year doing this :-( )
    Eat enough and eat right!
  • scamper555
    Options
    Thanks guys that helps phew what a relief I got that sorted out! xx
  • kabemour
    kabemour Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm new to Myfitnesspal. I am on the Venus Index and this is my first week doing the program and I absolutely love it. I was wondering how do I input my exercise along with my caloric intake to tell me how many calories I'm burning? I listed all the exercise that I do on a daily basis but it doesn't show it on my home page. Any suggestions would be helpful.:smile:
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    When you're entering your profile information, notice that you are asked how much exercise you plan to incorporate, and that the recommendation for calories is in NET calories. Basically, that means if you do the amount of exercise that you enter in your profile, and you match the value in the NET Calories column at the end of the day you'll lose weight.

As far as entering exercise goes, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Click the heading that says Exercise, search for the exercise you're doing, and then fill in time spent for cardio. If you're lifting, keep track of weight, sets, reps. Then enter the requested info. It will add it to your daily total.
  • kabemour
    kabemour Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I see that it only accounts for the cardio exercises that are done and not necessarily the weight lifting exercises....I guess???:ohwell: