New Rules of Lifting For Women - can I do it at home?

Options
Hi Myfitnesspals

I've been running 3-4 times a week 20-25 minutes using intervals for nearly a year and it has made no difference to my weight, other's have told me I look more toned but I haven't noticed much difference.

I'd ideally like to loose 10lbs. I find it really hard to lose weight. I managed to loose 10lbs a couple of years ago on the Dukan kept it off for a while but eventually it all went back on and Dukan hasn't worked for me since. I have tracked on here and lost 5lbs but have put that back on recently, have started tracking again.

So I want to do something different. Have heard lots about lifting for women and seen some amazing before and after photo's on here. I bought the book and am about half way through and want to get started.

So, can I do this at home? If so what equipment do I need to buy as a minimum and what weights would people recommend getting?

Any advice gratefully received :)

Replies

• dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You can do it at home but you are going to need some basic equipment. Just to start, you need a barbell and weights, a squat/weight rack of some sort (for barbell squats), a step, dumbells, an exercise ball.

If you skip to the back of the book where the exercises are listed out with pictures, you can get a sense for what equipment you need. Look at the first stage and just get what you need for that first, then add as you go. It might cost you a little bit to get started, but it's still cheaper than a gym membership in the long run, assuming you continue to use the equipment long term.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    hi there.....I have the book too and I also have the book "Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body" by Bret Contreras......I can't afford a gym membership and I live in an apartment and don't have room for barbells etc.....I have a set of Bowflex Select Tech weights that lets me dial weight up or down depending on whether I'm working the upper or lower body......so I am limited in using these books too......I would take a look at what equipment they use in the book.....barbells, dumbbells, steps, benches, exercise balls, machines etc.....and decide what you can afford and/or have room for....you may not be able to follow the book exactly if you don't have access to certain things but I think you can use the book to the best advantage by tweaking the exercises a little and just using what you have wherever possible.....that's what I'm going to do.....just use dumbbells for everything that I can.....in my opinion, that will be better than nothing......
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The program requires use of a squat rack and a bench, in other words you have to commit to turning a whole room into a fully stocked home gym with commercial grade weight equipment. If you have this equipment at home you can do it. Some people have attempted to replicate the program using simply a few pairs of dumbbells but that really doesn't cut it. If all you have access to is a few pairs of dumbbells there are better programs, because you're basically gimping yourself attempting it without the proper equipment.
  • Lunaluna01
    Lunaluna01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I will look into cost and then think about whether to do it that way or just join a gym. Thanks again.
    :smile:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The program requires use of a squat rack and a bench, in other words you have to commit to turning a whole room into a fully stocked home gym with commercial grade weight equipment. If you have this equipment at home you can do it. Some people have attempted to replicate the program using simply a few pairs of dumbbells but that really doesn't cut it. If all you have access to is a few pairs of dumbbells there are better programs, because you're basically gimping yourself attempting it without the proper equipment.

I was thinking this also - the squat rack is the biggest issue - I have a bench with weights - I figure I could do it with lighter weights but as I increase the weights for the squats I would need the rack (I could always make my son place the bar on my shoulders for me - he's 6'4" and strong as a bull - but he would probably think I was nuts! :laugh:)
  • CittiB
    CittiB Posts: 25
    Options
    If you're on a budget then the 30dayshred is great for starting to build muscle. It's cheap on amazon and you only need one lot of hand weights. I've got 4kg (each) but if you're new I'd buy 2 or 3kg.

Also fitnessblender has a lot of free online videos. You can narrow down videos by selecting just the equipment you own. When I first used it I didn't own weights so used a water bottle or food can.
  • Lunaluna01
    Lunaluna01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks CittiB I will check them out :)
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I started out doing NRLFW at home, got the ball and the weights and the barbell. But at a certain point, you will find you cannot really progress without a gym. You need a squat rack, bench, pullup bar, more and more plates, dumbells etc...At that point, it was actually cheaper for me to join the gym.