Help I'm getting fat.

Options

Replies

• nbrown88ca
    nbrown88ca Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So my lifting prgram... I am not an experience lifter I just kinda do what I've seen online... what my crossfit friends have taught me lol.

I dont know if this is really a program but:

I have about 4 various arm exercies I use about 15lb weights and do 3 sets of 10 reps

I do 3 sets of 10 deadlifts with 45lb weights and I do the same 3 sets of 10 squats with a 20lb weight.

Then I do random weight machines for your legs and arms etc. usually 3 sets of 10.

I try to do a lot of core exercises like planks and burpees.

I just recenlty got the 30 day shred info so I am going to start incorporating some of those exercises.

Also a mile stone I recently did 2 push ups in a row (dont judge me)... something i wasnt able to do before (very weak) so I see myself getting stronger... slowly. lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So my lifting prgram... I am not an experience lifter I just kinda do what I've seen online... what my crossfit friends have taught me lol.

I dont know if this is really a program but:

I have about 4 various arm exercies I use about 15lb weights and do 3 sets of 10 reps

I do 3 sets of 10 deadlifts with 45lb weights and I do the same 3 sets of 10 squats with a 20lb weight.

Then I do random weight machines for your legs and arms etc. usually 3 sets of 10.

I try to do a lot of core exercises like planks and burpees.

I just recenlty got the 30 day shred info so I am going to start incorporating some of those exercises.

Also a mile stone I recently did 2 push ups in a row (dont judge me)... something i wasnt able to do before (very weak) so I see myself getting stronger... slowly. lol

Have you been progressing? Lifting heavier?

My advice is to follow a real program. Starting Strength is a good one. Also Stronglifts and New Rules of Lifting for Women. And I've heard good things about Strong Curves but I don't know much about that one.
  • nbrown88ca
    Options
    awesome! I will thank you.

I know I need a real program.

I started out at 7.5lbs now up to 15 so I have been progressing
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you are not overweight remotely. I am an inch shorter than you and 137Ibs. I also do weights, cardio and closely monitor my intake to ensure that a) I get enough calories, but not too many and b) I get enough protein, which for me, is usually 100-120g a day, sometimes more.

I suggest looking into stronglifts, if you like something simple and easy to follow...there are videos online of then whole routine. Or new rules of lifting for women which is a bit more complex and involves more planning. I also suggest you consider, rather than losing weight, doing a body recomposition. Put yourself on a proper weight training programme, add in some HIIT, hit your protein goals, and eat at or just slightly below maintenance calories. And try not to eat too much junky food.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You're eating more calories than you think. Even if you were trying to reduce fat mass, you are way too tall and active to be attempting to eat only 1200-1400 calories. You probably maintain on about 2200 calories. And if you were to gain weight (160 lbs), you're looking at 2400 to 2500 to maintain.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My meal plan is about 1200-1400 calories a day depending on my exercise. but I feel like nothing is changing....

Unlikely if you're maintaining or gaining.

Open your diary.

This.

Op, it's wonderful you feel stronger and more fit, but if you are gaining weight and your clothes are getting tighter, you are eating more than you realize. Opening your diary will help.

Weigh all your food, read packages, and chuck the measuring cups. Log all your food and exercise calories, eat about 50% of your exercise calories back (because if you use MFP or machine estimates they are WAY OFF).
  • nbrown88ca
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I will start my plan today! I do think I am eating more then I should be.

Thanks again!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    BTW . . .

I'm coming back to this topic and just wanted to say something.

Your topic is "help I'm getting fat". You're on a forum for people who have lost weight - sometimes huge amounts of weight. They really are or were fat by any objective standards. Yes, there are more polite words for it. But that's what we're talking about.

You started out with a BMI of 18 - bottom of the healthy range.
    You've moved into the middle of the healthy range by exercising. That means you put on muscle, not fat. In fact, you say the same 'fat' you had before is now over your muscles. BMI overestimates how heavy you are if you have a lot of muscle. By no standards are you fat.

Saying you are fat is not a nice thing to do, given how many people on this forum really do have weight problems.

You have a problem - you want to look even better than you do and you may need to think about how you're logging. I'm not minimimizing that. I'm simply saying think about your audience and your language.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    BTW . . .

Your topic is "help I'm getting fat". You're on a forum for people who have lost weight - sometimes huge amounts of weight. They really are or were fat by any objective standards. Yes, there are more polite words for it. But that's what we're talking about.

You've moved into the middle of the healthy range by exercising. That means you put on muscle, not fat. In fact, you say the same 'fat' you had before is now over your muscles. BMI overestimates how heavy you are if you have a lot of muscle. By no standards are you fat.

Saying you are fat is not a nice thing to do, given how many people on this forum really do have weight problems.

You have a problem - you want to look even better than you do and you may need to think about how you're logging. I'm not minimimizing that. I'm simply saying think about your audience and your language.

Oh for heaven's sake. Easily offended much?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    BTW . . .

Oh for heaven's sake. Easily offended much?
    I agree with Quietbloom.

Just to clarify to NXD, increased weight in women does not mean increased muscle, even with weight lifting, and I believe the OP is doing Yoga. Women who increase muscle usually lose inches, and she is getting bigger. It takes a long while and lots of heavy lifting for women to gain muscle, and Yoga is not going to do it.
  • nbrown88ca
    Options
    I am a pretty polite person, I came here for advice... if you didnt like what I said you didnt have to read it let alone respond. This is a site and message board for fitness and health and with that comes the word FAT. I by no means will apologize for using the word fat... get over it.
  • Mjbpsu
    Mjbpsu Posts: 2
    Options
    If I were you I would invest in personal training sessions. I didn't start seeing changes in my body composition until I had a personal trainer. Just one appointment per week to get you started on a good exercise plan. Low intensity cardio (walking) is going to help you lose fat faster than high intensity cardio or strength training. And, crazy as it sounds, the more muscle you gain, the more calories you are going to have to eat to keep losing weight. Trust me on this, nutrition is my job. A perfect after workout snack is a glass of low fat chocolate milk. It has the right balance of carbs and protein for recovery.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sorry I dont know how to open my diary I will figure it out.

I think I might be eating too many calories. On a normal healthy eating day I eat 1200-1400 but I often turn to junk when I am starving which probably brings me over 2000 calories.

I think getting a scale for food will help a lot. I think I need to plan my meals out more and make sure I have a healthy post work out snack.

Also I agree I am not at my recommended weight for my height! 5'11 I believe I should be around 160 or more.

I have been thin all my life, not being active for many years I dont have large muscles. I agree I might "see" myself as fat but I dont mean I am fat as in overweight I guess I would just like to be toned and see the muscles that I have been working on for so long.

I really hope the solution isnt to eat more because I might gain more weight lol

Given your stats you shouldn't be gaining, even on 2000 cals... Presumably if you're getting 'fat' you've gone up a clothing size?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    If I were you I would invest in personal training sessions. I didn't start seeing changes in my body composition until I had a personal trainer. Just one appointment per week to get you started on a good exercise plan. Low intensity cardio (walking) is going to help you lose fat faster than high intensity cardio or strength training. And, crazy as it sounds, the more muscle you gain, the more calories you are going to have to eat to keep losing weight. Trust me on this, nutrition is my job. A perfect after workout snack is a glass of low fat chocolate milk. It has the right balance of carbs and protein for recovery.
    Why do you say that low intensity cardio will help you lose weight faster than cardio or strength training? Losing weight is all about calories in/calories out --burn more calories than you eat-- thus, it does not make sense to do something that burns less calories to lose weight faster.

You cannot gain muscle on a calorie deficit, so your statement about muscle and increased calories does not make sense to me. The less you weight under any circumstance, the less you calories you need to maintain your weight, thus you would need less calories to lose weight.

A perfect after workout snack is whatever you want to have, but I do agree that protein is essential to muscle recovery.
  • kaylagaston1390
    kaylagaston1390 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Could just be water retention, even if you've never had a problem with that before. I suddenly gained 10 lbs out of nowhere within a week. That can't possibly be all fat, obviously. But, with weight training, and coming to that time of month it was bound my body would hold onto fluid. It happens. Try lowering sodium intake, drink lots of tea/water and try having more potassium and magnesium. Those will help your body balance out the fluid.
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you aren't eating nearly enough. 1200-1400 calories would not satisfy an active person of your height. I am a moderately active 5'7" woman in her late 30s (less active than you) and I eat way more than that. You are gorging on junk because your body is telling you to feed it. I have a feeling if you use MFP properly, as in set your activity level, height, and goals, and eat what it says, you will probably feel a lot better.

Uh. If she's "getting fat" the last thing in the world she should do is eat more.

She's 5'11" and 150 pounds. She's not fat.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you aren't eating nearly enough. 1200-1400 calories would not satisfy an active person of your height. I am a moderately active 5'7" woman in her late 30s (less active than you) and I eat way more than that. You are gorging on junk because your body is telling you to feed it. I have a feeling if you use MFP properly, as in set your activity level, height, and goals, and eat what it says, you will probably feel a lot better.

Uh. If she's "getting fat" the last thing in the world she should do is eat more.

She's 5'11" and 150 pounds. She's not fat.

Probably why he put quotes on "getting fat."
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i am getting stronger and fit but I feel like i've gained so much weight and have nothing to show for it (my body sucks)

If you are getting stronger and more fit, then you do have something to show for your weight gain.
    I feel the days I eat junk are the days I go to the gym I am sooooo hungry after I'll eat anything.

This totally. I tried low calories, I was so frustrated. In fact certain days that I get so busy and don't get a chance to eat as much as I had planned I feel it, if not that evening the next day.
  • Mjbpsu
    Mjbpsu Posts: 2
    Options
    What I said was lower intensity cardio will help you lose FAT, not weight. Losing fat this way and then lifting will help shape the body. Losing fat and gaining muscle may result in 0 weight loss, but the body will be shaped differently and you will LOOK like you've lose weight.

Gaining muscle increases your metabolism. When your metabolism increases so must your intake or your won't lose weight.

Losing weight is not simply about calories in/calories out. It is a fine balance of the right foods at the right times and the right exercise. You can't starve yourself all day, eat a 700 calorie dinner and lose weight. Doesn't work. Even if you exercise an hour you will not lose weight. You're caloric intake must meet your basic metabolic rate.

A person who weighs 120 pounds and has little muscle mass might only require 1200 calories per day to lose weight. A person who weighs 120 pounds and has a high muscle mass might require 2000 calories per day to lose weight. This is because muscle is more metabolically active than fat and requires more calories to maintain itself.

And, actually, there is published research that shows lowfat chocolate milk is the perfect after workout snack. You can't expect to eat a bag of chips post workout and reap the benefits from a workout.

Nutrition is my career, so trust me on this. ;)