Spaghetti Squash in UK

Options
Hi,
I've been reading loads of posts about spaghetti squash. I'm wheat and gluten intolerant so this sounds like a great alternative for me and it sounds very versatile too. Sorry if I sound completely daft but can you buy this in the UK? Ive googled the image and it looks like yellow melon. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Replies

• AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I'm also dying to try it but can't find anywhere so far that do!!
    Apparently waitrose USED to but I've never even found them on the market :(
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    yes it looks a bit like a yellow melon, same family as courgettes. It's not easy to find in the UK, farmers markets would be your best bet. Don't get your hopes up too much though about how fantastic it is. It doesn't have the same texture at all as spaghetti so if it's an alternative to pasta you are looking for you may be disappointed. It also pretty much tastes of nothing (and that's coming from somebody who loves all veg).
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've heard that Waitrose do it when it's in season - and that's about it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My local health food store will have them in when in season which should be sometime soon as i want to try one too.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been reading loads of posts about spaghetti squash. I'm wheat and gluten intolerant so this sounds like a great alternative for me and it sounds very versatile too. Sorry if I sound completely daft but can you buy this in the UK? Ive googled the image and it looks like yellow melon. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I have eaten it for the first time last week. It is tasteless, meaning that it will take the taste from whatever seasoning you use. I like it for its low calorie and you can almost anything to it. I normally steam mine.
  • edberlyn
    edberlyn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash. It is really easy to cook: you cut it open, scrape out the guts, and microwave it or bake for awhile. Then, use a fork to pull at the sides, and you will get stringy squash! If you cook it in a pan with some olive oil, eggplant, other veggies, and then put tomato sauce over it, it is good! May not taste like pasta, but I like it a lot :)
  • Chunkilious
    Options
    Hi,

I have eaten it for the first time last week. It is tasteless, meaning that it will take the taste from whatever seasoning you use. I like it for its low calorie and you can almost anything to it. I normally steam mine.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yeah apparently Waitrose is only one. They also sell acorn squash for gluten intolerant. Or amazon sell seeds! Admittedly you might be waiting awhile for your dinner but there's nothing better than home grown veggies..
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I found them in Tesco, but I've only seen them the once. I think they have to be in season (late autumn / early winter) for them to stock them.
  • Chunkilious
    Options
    Thank you I will track them done somehow?
  • Woodrow1234
    Woodrow1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love them - so much so that I planted 4 plants in my garden this year. I already have a dozen on the vines.

If you have any room to grow them, give it a try. They are actually pretty easy and do well even in so-so soil. When picked, they will last for months.

To cook - I typically keep it whole and puncture the skin. 375 for 1:15 (varies depending on size).

One good dish - it might sound strange, but what I do is scrape the inside out and toss it in the fridge. When ready to eat, I'll actually cook up some chicken in the pan and toss the 'noodles' in along with a little water and salsa. 3-5 min covered and I toss in some nutritional yeast (has a cheese flavor) and stir it all in. Done.

Lots of other good ways to prep too.
  • siggybebop
    Options
    I've just seen them through Abel and Cole - and organic online veg/fruit/meat delivery service. It's about 2 pounds.

http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/squash-spaghetti
  • MrsRochester1
    MrsRochester1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I bought one from Waitrose a couple of years ago. Maybe it was old because it was really bitter, disappointed. I would be willing to give it another go though.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love them - so much so that I planted 4 plants in my garden this year. I already have a dozen on the vines.

If you have any room to grow them, give it a try. They are actually pretty easy and do well even in so-so soil. When picked, they will last for months.

To cook - I typically keep it whole and puncture the skin. 375 for 1:15 (varies depending on size).

One good dish - it might sound strange, but what I do is scrape the inside out and toss it in the fridge. When ready to eat, I'll actually cook up some chicken in the pan and toss the 'noodles' in along with a little water and salsa. 3-5 min covered and I toss in some nutritional yeast (has a cheese flavor) and stir it all in. Done.

Lots of other good ways to prep too.

Agree - very easy to grow in many soil conditions and also stores easily. If you even have a tiny bit of land, try planting one.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • xstephngx
    Options
    If you're in London, they have them at Wholefoods in Picaddilly Circus! just bought some today! You have no idea how excited I was when I saw them lol Been dying to try them for ages :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My UK friends lament about this a lot. I wonder if they don't grow well there? I can plant any kind of squash in my garden and very soon I have nothing but squash thriving in my garden. Is it possible that Chicago climate is good for something?
  • alexflynn011
    alexflynn011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i've seen them at wholefoods
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I eat spaghetti squash all the time as it is pretty cheap here in Western Canada and lots of local farmer's markets have them (almost like zucchini/courgettes for neighbours trying to fob them off on you lol). My husband's favorite way to eat it is after cooking & shred/scraping, top with greek feta salad dressing - great hot or room temperature. I like it just undercooked so there is a bit of 'crunch' to the 'noodle.' Then top while hot with a rich homemade pasta sauce with extra lean ground beef/mince in it. A sprinkle of real Parmesan shreds makes it even better. I use a bit of scissored-up nori in my pasta sauce to give it umami flavour & richness if I don't have a tiny splash of Vietnamese or Thai fermented fish sauce.
  • mom24uk
    mom24uk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try growing and cooking it this year :)