Protein vs Carbs

Options
Just joined today and my goal is to lose weight and build muscle. I just committed today so Im a bit confused on what I should be eating...what works for you??? My goal is to exercise with cardio and weight training. More carbs or more protein??

Replies

• susieqq62
    susieqq62 Posts: 11
    Options
    I AM FOLLOWING A 1200 CAL DIET.. WHICH IS GOOD FOR ME AS I HAD WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY 7 YRS AGO AND CANNOT EAT MORE THAN 1200 CAL.. I AM TERRIBLE AT GETTING IN ENOUGH CALORIES AND PROTEIN AND I AM WORKING ON IT..I HAVE JOINED MFP A WHILE AGO BUT JUST LAST WEEK I STARTED TO GET TO KNOW IT AND AM WORKING WITH IT.. I ALSO AM DISABLED DUE TO DIABETES SO I WALK WITH A CANE AND CANNOT DO ANY HEAVY EXERCISE..BUMMER.. I BELIEVE THAT PROTEIN IS THE BEST--CAUSE IT HELPS BURN FAT AND TURNS IT IN TO MUSCLE FROM EHAT I KNOW..I NEED TO BUILD MUUSCEL AS I HAVE ALOT OF SKIN FROM LOSING OVER 200 LBS -I ACTUALLY DO NOT CARE IF I MAKE MMY GOAL--I MAINLY WANT TO BUILD UP MUSCLE AS I AM SO WEAK.. I HAVE 3 FRIENDS ON HERE NOW I AM SO HAPPY TO MOTIVATE AND INSPIRE OTHERS.. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE MY FRIEND PLEASE SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST.. MY NAME IS SUSIE. gOD BLESS AND I HOPE THAT YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY WORKS OUT GREAT FOR YOU..
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you follow the MFP guidelines to start with. The more you read on this site the better informed you will become, but be careful because there are lots of conflicting ideas.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set at 40c/30f/30p. I find the protein helps me feel full and it's good for the muscles. It also fits pretty well with how my eating style has always been, so it hasn't been a big change for me. I would definitely increase the amount of protein from what MFP gives you, but other than that it's just tweaking to see what works for you.
  • obaker
    obaker Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I find that more protein works for me. Helps me feel fuller for longer, and I don't retain water so much. Although in saying this, I have tried to go very low carb before (i.e. Atkins/ketosis) and every time I have failed miserably. Cutting them out completely just caused me to binge.
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Protein defnitely. If you look at the nutrition and click on the pie chart, there is a 50% carb, 30% fat and 20% protein breakdown. It's a default for MFP but that's what I try to follow. Sweet (in moderation of course) work for me, but I also do P90x so it allows me to have a little more flexibility with what I eat.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    There is no "versus" as they don't have a conflicting relationship.

You should ideally be eating roughly .8-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass and .35g of fat per pound of bodyweight. The rest can be carbs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just joined today and my goal is to lose weight and build muscle....My goal is to exercise with cardio and weight training. More carbs or more protein??

If you're here because you have a weight problem, the odds are you need to eat less of both, not more of either.
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat will keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer than carbs, but it could take you a few days to a few weeks to adapt to not eating the majority of your calories from carbs.

Personally, I'd do some research before starting *any* diet, so you know what your plan is, what you can and can't eat, and what alternatives are available. "Lose weight and build muscle" are great goals, but without at least having some sort of general plan, it's like starting in Tampa and trying to get to LA by taking random exits.

Losing weight *can* be as simple as "eat less than you expend" (and is 90% of the battle, IMHO), but can get complicated based on your current metabolism, levels of insulin resistance, overall health, and weight. Gaining muscle means either weights (even bodyweight) or resistance training.

Good luck!