100 Calorie Biscuits. Just ate 4 ;)

Options
kernja
kernja Posts: 15 Member
Actually, if made correctly they're 93 calories. Paired with some cottage cheese and some blueberries, I just made a healthy man's shortcake =) Makes 12 biscuits.

What you need:
2 cups all-purpose flour (if using self-rising flour, skip the baking powder and salt)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp fat-free Miracle Whip or fat-free mayo
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp Splenda (or to taste preference)

How to make:
1) Measure out flour into a large mixing bowl.
2) If using all-purpose flour, add salt and baking soda. Stir until mixed.
3) Add Splenda to flour. Stir until mixed.
4) Slowly fold in Miracle Whip and mix until crumbly.
5) Add skim milk and water. Mix until a dough forms.
6) Drop or cut out dough onto a greased baking sheet
7) Bake at 400 for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Are biscuits without butter, really biscuits?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    biscuits sound good! but yes if they are warm out of the oven I would totally have butter on them :blushing:

but once they are cooled a dollop of low cal jam or preserves sounds good!
  • kernja
    Options
    You can add butter ontop of them ;) I just wanted to have a good base to make some delicious shortcakes. :D
    Now I'm researching different types of flour one could use to reduce the calories and increase the protein content.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    You can add butter ontop of them ;) I just wanted to have a good base to make some delicious shortcakes. :D
    Now I'm researching different types of flour one could use to reduce the calories and increase the protein content.

http://calorielab.com/foods/flour/16 <<< there you go!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I guess you're not familiar with why cold butter is cut into biscuit dough. To each his own I suppose
  • knra_grl
    Options

I guess you're not familiar with why cold butter is cut into biscuit dough. To each his own I suppose

The miracle whip could work. Do see your point though :)

Then again, I am also a fan of Bisquick which totally reduces the amount of prep I have to do! :flowerforyou:
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kernja
    Options
    What's the reasoning for cutting the butter?
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    bump
  • knra_grl
    Options
    What's the reasoning for cutting the butter?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070706091915AAPHyRU

makes the pastry flakey - I would never substitute the shortening in a pie crust that just wouldn't do :wink:
  • aorfei
    aorfei Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make my biscuits with butter but I swap out half the white flour with whole wheat to add a little bit of nutrition, pure white biscuits turn into pure sugar
  • kernja
    Options
    Oh thanks for letting me know about the butter =)