What do you eat when you need calories, but aren't hungry?

Options
I'm curious, what would you choose to eat if you still needed a largeish bit of calories for the day, but just don't have the appetite or desire to eat anything (not feeling well, etc.)? Something calorically dense, I suppose, but go for protein? Carbs? Or is 1-2 days not really that big of a deal and you just wouldn't worry about even trying to get where you need to be, and then pick back up once you're feeling better?

Sorry if this is a dumb question....:embarassed:

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you are sick it's fine to eat less.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate, cheese, or wine. Or all three at once.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I have days where I'm way under and days that I'm over and I think it evens out but.... If I need to add some calories but don't know what to eat I usually will have some cheese or an apple with natural peanut butter.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate, cheese, or wine. Or all three at once.

:flowerforyou:
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    wine works well but not the best lol...depending

Protein shakes is perfect in everyways
  • BD_Fitness
    Options
    Protein shake :)
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    a tall glass of chocolate milk.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Protein shake :)

I concur!! Protein shake with PB2!!!
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I go for the whole wheat toast w/Natural Peanut Butter with a 1/2 Cup of Milk

Or a GS Shortbread Cookie w/a Glass of Chocolate Milk
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for door number three. Just like when I eat more when I am hungry, I allow myself to eat less when I am not.( As long as you are healthy and not diabetic or something else that requires meal timing.) When you return to normal health, you will feel ready to eat and then some.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a great way to pack in calories with little effort. Good mix of protein/fat in them too.
  • laurabragg
    Options
    greek yogurt. I love black cherry or key lime pie. It is like eating a dessert.
  • anthonycambra
    anthonycambra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a great way to pack in calories with little effort. Good mix of protein/fat in them too.

Agreed. Protein and fats are a great mix at night, as dietary fats like nuts take your body the longest time to digest, giving it nutrients throughout the night. They're also more calorically dense, of course. A protein shake and some natural peanut or almond butter is a great choice.
  • jenniferpriggs
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I am generally healthy, no medical problems (other than 10 stubborn pounds LOL). And trust me I don't generally have this problem! Just feeling so crummy that the thought of food is nauseating.... however I'd force some food down if it was going to do any serious harm by not eating. (At the moment I think I'm around 1000 below my BMR.)

Wine sounds like a fantastic option, tho! (kidding, although I'm *really* not feeling well if I pass an opportunity to drink wine and stay under my cals for the day.)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Why would you force yourself to eat if your not hungry? I just don't understand the need to force feed yourself.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    liquid carbs (fruit juice, soda, etc) or liquid protein (whey)
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    When I was logging my food intake, there were days when I wasn't hungry enough to make my calories for the day. Typically I went over my calorie limit the next day because my body was recovering. I would log part of the calories on the day before since this was the root of the problem. It happens...
  • r4nt
    r4nt Posts: 1
    Options
    I save any extra calories I have and try to hit a weekly calorie goal.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy some extra calories tomorrow.