We are not doctors-we just give our outlook

icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
edited September 18 in Motivation and Support
I have just talked to another member about an issue we have noticed. I have volunteered to speak out. There are a lot of posts about fasting and not taking in calories. Have you talked to a doctor about that. I have. Fasting is not recommended for weight lose. Your body needs the energy to go, and when you deprive is from that, you will go into starvation mode and your body is going to store fat. What good is that doing for you. When you read a posting about fasting for 3-7 days and people just say hey, what do you need to do. The answer is to think smart and not stupid. I understand some do for religion, but they do not starve themselves. They eliminate some but not all. Before you even consider fasting, you had better think hard and talk to your doctor. Fasting can lead to terrible eating disorders. Diet pills?? Why, they are going to help you for the time you take them, then what? You turn back to your old habits. Sounds like a big wasted of money to me. If they really worked, we would all be thin. There is no miracle cure. The only way is making the chose of changing your bad habits to good. It called a lifestyle change. It takes hard work and dedication. If you do that, you will reach your goal.. Goals don't come over night. They come step by step. It also takes the proper amount of calories. You can search as many web site you want, and you will not find one that tells you to eat less than 1000 calories.
It's time to stop and think......reality check.
I am also going to say something about these young ladies on here that are 18,19 years old. You show pictures of yourselves, and you are beautiful. You think you are fat and you need to lose weight to get a guy. You health and yourself is far better than that. You think that by not eating you are going to reach you goal. Please. Open your eyes and talk to your doctor and do some research. You are going to end up in poor health or with other serious problems.
Maybe you also need to look in the mirror and take a close look at who you are. Love yourself. Who cares if another looks at you like you are fat. You should be worrying about what color top to wear with those jeans or what movie you and your friends are going to go and see.
You don't know what it is like to struggle with weight until you are in out shoes. Believe me, it's not easy, but we are doing it the correct way. We are eating our recommended calories and exercising.
So before you post another idea on how to eat 500 calories and lose weight or fast or take the miracle pill, research.
Thank you for your time. I chose to write this because I am not going to lose a friend I met here. She is a true inspiration and she was the first person I met. She knows what she is talking about and I want to keep her here.
People remember that you are talking about your life here, Your body needs the correct nutrients and exercise. Before you think about surviving on 500-900 calories or fasting, think about yourself and your loved ones. Do it the right way and you will live a healthy life.
I rather live fat than to die thin.
Once again, thanks for reading. Sorry if I offended anyone, and I hope it made since.

Replies

• icandoit
    I have just talked to another member about an issue we have noticed. I have volunteered to speak out. There are a lot of posts about fasting and not taking in calories. Have you talked to a doctor about that. I have. Fasting is not recommended for weight lose. Your body needs the energy to go, and when you deprive is from that, you will go into starvation mode and your body is going to store fat. What good is that doing for you. When you read a posting about fasting for 3-7 days and people just say hey, what do you need to do. The answer is to think smart and not stupid. I understand some do for religion, but they do not starve themselves. They eliminate some but not all. Before you even consider fasting, you had better think hard and talk to your doctor. Fasting can lead to terrible eating disorders. Diet pills?? Why, they are going to help you for the time you take them, then what? You turn back to your old habits. Sounds like a big wasted of money to me. If they really worked, we would all be thin. There is no miracle cure. The only way is making the chose of changing your bad habits to good. It called a lifestyle change. It takes hard work and dedication. If you do that, you will reach your goal.. Goals don't come over night. They come step by step. It also takes the proper amount of calories. You can search as many web site you want, and you will not find one that tells you to eat less than 1000 calories.
    It's time to stop and think......reality check.
    I am also going to say something about these young ladies on here that are 18,19 years old. You show pictures of yourselves, and you are beautiful. You think you are fat and you need to lose weight to get a guy. You health and yourself is far better than that. You think that by not eating you are going to reach you goal. Please. Open your eyes and talk to your doctor and do some research. You are going to end up in poor health or with other serious problems.
    Maybe you also need to look in the mirror and take a close look at who you are. Love yourself. Who cares if another looks at you like you are fat. You should be worrying about what color top to wear with those jeans or what movie you and your friends are going to go and see.
    You don't know what it is like to struggle with weight until you are in out shoes. Believe me, it's not easy, but we are doing it the correct way. We are eating our recommended calories and exercising.
    So before you post another idea on how to eat 500 calories and lose weight or fast or take the miracle pill, research.
    Thank you for your time. I chose to write this because I am not going to lose a friend I met here. She is a true inspiration and she was the first person I met. She knows what she is talking about and I want to keep her here.
    People remember that you are talking about your life here, Your body needs the correct nutrients and exercise. Before you think about surviving on 500-900 calories or fasting, think about yourself and your loved ones. Do it the right way and you will live a healthy life.
    I rather live fat than to die thin.
    Once again, thanks for reading. Sorry if I offended anyone, and I hope it made since.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    You young people who are eating only 400 to 900 calories a day need to wake up and smell the coffee. You may think you are being cute by talking about how hard it is to eat 1200 calories a day and how you have to force yourselves to eat that much food. You are so blinded by your thoughts of how cute you are being that you are not seeing in reality you are flaunting your ignorance every time you post something about how few calories you are eating or by talking about fasting.
    You will live to regret what you are doing.
  • icandoit
    Amen
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Thank you for some solid, sane and straight talk.:smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I'll second that! Many people fail to realize that this is a lifelong process, not a temporary change in habits. This isn't a quick fix, and it isn't something you should use to gain popularity or attention. Changing your body takes months or years, and you should think of your transformation on those terms rather than by days or weeks. You only get ONE body, and although it can handle a lot of abuse, it can't run at 100% if you're not fueling it correctly. Like icandoit says, you need to read, research, and educate yourself. There are HOURS of reading material out there...and hours of reading material about what you should and shouldn't believe when you read it! Become familiar with reputable websites and texts. Understand your metabolism, your macro and micronutrients. Yes, it seems like micromanaging, but the more you learn about your body, the better you can treat it!
  • cnichol
    cnichol Posts: 17
    Thank you! You really should be doing your research on what you are actually doing to your body and before you start any fast, deit ect. you need to talk to your Doctor.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    icandoit

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns, it shows all of our fitness pal members that we on this site care about each other, and that we are a team, in this together. Your thoughts remind us that our life long goal should be to become healthy physically and emotionally.

Anne
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Renee!

Is it not common sense about this whole fasting aka starving yourself???
    Guess not since poeple are actually considering it.

Your body needs food in order for you to function.
    I get so crabby when I'm hungry so I cannot imagine not eating for a few days.
    Wake up people!!

Do it the right way.
    Do it the smart way.
    Exercise, eat right and you'll see the progress.
    We all want to see fast results but that is not the way to go.
    You'll lose water weight... you'll gain that back so quickly.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    As a guy, I can tell you younger women that no matter what Madison Avenue tells you, most guys want and love women who are a healthy weight, NOT stupid model-thin sticks. Besides that ANY guy that only wants you 'cause you're thin and cute is not worth your time. Any other guys out there want to chime in?
    Cowboy
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Thank You Cowboy!!
    Come on guys lets hear what you have to say on the subject.
    :flowerforyou:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Not a doctor myself , but I work with a bunch of Doctors and Nurses.
    Those that saw my last post on this subject....
    I stated that 26 doctors, and about 50 nurses all said NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! to fasting.
    It is unhealthy and some times even deadly.
    I do not know about you but I do not want to look GREAT in my coffin,
    I want to look great being alive!
    --Diann...
  • brunion
    brunion Posts: 60 Member
    amen fatboy49 ladys you don't have to be thin to win just be your self and say no no to fasting. good luck all
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Advice I wish I was given when I was younger and struggling with both anorexia and body dysmorohia. Thank you.

I would also like to add that I rememeber at that age my mom would tell me that I should stop being so concerned about the way I look because, in the long run, no one really noticed because they were all too busy focusing on how THEY look. Trust me. No one is obsessing about your flaws except you. And if someone is ridiculing you about them, it is usually because they are jealous or it just makes them feel better about themselves by putting you down. True beauty comes from within. And if you have "a few extra pounds"? Love them and it will make you all the more attractive.
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Thankyou Icandoit!!

The post about fasting really upset me too!! I just had to say something!

Its not just the fact about posting things like that on here, its people telling other young impresionable girls to fast to lose weight, some girls on here may have, or be close to having, an eating disorder and don't need to here advice like that!
    It could ruin some peoples lives if they take notice!

Well done for speaking out! We are all with you! :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    thankyou. thankyou. thankyou.

If I see one more post about how to starve or medicate yourself thin, I will scream.

When I showed my food diary to a nutritionist to find out why I had stopped losing weight, the first words out of her mouth were:

"Well, clearly, you're not eating ENOUGH."

Eat, people, eat!:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    Thank you all. I think we all need to help these girls understand that they are dealing with more than weight loss. They are dealing with a life. Life is already too short. Let's make the best of it and make the right choices for out bodies.
    People-really think about what you are doing. Talk to your doctor before you start dieting and make it a lifestyle change that will be a part of your life from here on out. If you can eat right and exercise, you will do it. If you lose weight really fast, it will come back on. 1-2 pounds a week or even every 2 weeks may sound like it is going to take you forever, it the correct way. Some people take 1 year to lose 50 pounds. The thing is, they are probably 10 times more likely to keep it off than those who crash diet and lose it in half the time.
    Think real hard.
  • morrius
    morrius Posts: 16
    i agree 100%. fasting is bad and is a terrible habit to get into.

Cowboy is right, most guys dont like the runway models. all my friends say the same thing, that girl is too skinny, thats not a woman thats a doll they dressed up. trust me i know three models myself and they are very unhappy as well. they are made to be so under that they starve themselves and most binge inbetween shoots. they turn to drugs and smoking to help, and of course other chronic disorders.

always remember your overall wieght is on your mind, but i think you should focus more on life and what you want to do to feel healthy and good about yourself. if eating right and excercise makes you feel better about yourself then you will look better to other people because you feel more confident, pounds aside.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Sadly, it is society that has given some people this idea of what they need to be and how to get it. Also sadly, it is young ladies in the late teens, early 20's that primarily post this kind of stuff. There is probably a phsycological premise for it like a subconcious "need for daddy's attention" or whatever. In that sense, I sympathize with them. Maybe pity them, because as a male, I haven't been subject to the same things they have.

At some point the healthy ones will mature and grow up, but so long as thier goals are to have "Billy or Bobby" pay attention to them, I fear there is little hope because that goal is not health. Until then (perhaps until society changes) they will make these kinds of efforts and become ill and develop eating disorders. It's sad, but at the bottom of it all, I think they are just in a kind of denial because inside, I think they know better.

I have little patience for what I consider to be just plain stupidity and immaturity and Trust Me, I've been there and done that. I've been an addict and abuser of things other than food. Society, whether the broader public society, or the closer personal one, told me certain things were great and wonderful, yet they served only to destroy my life. You can take drugs to change your needs or behaviours, you can fast to lose weight or take diet pills and achieve some image of yourself, but at the end, you don't get better until you deal with the real-life issues; the things that put you there in the first place. You can't just keep fasting or taking drugs forever. Your self-image needs to be what You see, not what someone else sees.

I think that applies in all areas of life. In the case of body image, it is healthy diet and exercise. None of the quick fixes will have a lasting effect if the lifestyle does not change.

Just my opinion.
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Well said, Razboo.

I can relate: as a teen I dieted to an extreme level, and my weight dropped to about 115 lbs. A 5'4 that is probably not dangerous, but for me it was not healthy. It was definitely a form of "acting out" for attention. Please, somebody notice me. There was a reason I did that, and that was the real problem that needed to be addressed. In the meantime, I didn't realize I was setting off an extremely unhealthy pattern that would make it diffiicult to maintain a healthy weight in future.

The teens and women in their early twenties who come to this site have a lot to offer. We can understand more about ourselves through them, and they through us. However, I sincerely hope that they will listen to the voices of experience where fasting is concerned.
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    P.S.

To anyone who thinks that men love thin women and thin women only, have you ever heard of Nigella Lawson? She is, to put it politely, plump and curvaceous, and men go crazy over her. My boyfriend was mesmerized just the other night watching her concoct-- and ladle out in generous portions -- a croissant pudding.*

We agreed that she's appealing because she's so damn enthusiastic, and also a bit haughty at the same time. I on one hand actually find her a bit too enthusiastic, like she just might bake ME right into a pie. . .

All joking aside, it's her combination of personality and physical appearance that's truly sexy.

*However, I do not recommend eating a heaping bowl of croissants pudding for dinner. Nor do I recommend going back to the fridge in the middle of the night (in full make-up) for seconds.
This discussion has been closed.