So...what ARE they? (Never eat these....)

Options
So what are those things that appear in the ads on the sidebars for the "lose weight eating this one strange thing" or "never eat these and lose the pounds"? I never have clicked on them because my computer goes slow enough as it is. Any one taken the chance to see what they are? (Note, I suspect it is some stupid gimmick and don't plan to follow that kind of advice, just curious as to what they are.)

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are all gimmicks. Don't click on them. If they worked - that's all the people on MFP would be talking about.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    CrazyCatLadylovescats Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know they don't work, but I do wonder why MFP has them as adverts and not other things. I am TOTALLY skeptical, but curiosity and the cat and all that. Wondering if it is grain, potatoes, chia or whatever. Someone has to have clicked at some time or other. What did you see?
  • LiftCore
    LiftCore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Most of them send you though a bunch of links advertising some product, book or some crap.
  • tropical24
    tropical24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The ads on the sidebars are normally related to your internet cookies. Because you look at things related to fitness and healthy, the ads that target you are in a similar category.

For example: I get Dominoes PIzza ads and ads for 1200 calorie meal plans on MFP.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I eat everything... eeeeverything. There are many people on this website who've had great success eating all kinds of different things. If there were magical foods that stopped weight loss or helped it along, it would be bigger than some cheap add on a sidebar. Just saying ;P. Don't worry about what. Worry about how much for weight loss. For health, find a sustainable balance of nutrient dense foods and then fit in some fun things. Oh, and one of the no no foods on that stupid list is bananas. I eat those like every day
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    HealthyishWithMaggieG Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    So what are those things that appear in the ads on the sidebars for the "lose weight eating this one strange thing" or "never eat these and lose the pounds"? I never have clicked on them because my computer goes slow enough as it is. Any one taken the chance to see what they are? (Note, I suspect it is some stupid gimmick and don't plan to follow that kind of advice, just curious as to what they are.)

I get what you're saying. I'm curious, too... just not curious enough to click. Haha!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've clicked on the '5 foods you must never eat' ad before. I brought me to a very strange long advertisement, that never did tell me what the actual 5 foods that I wasn't supposed to eat, were. I don't remember the gist of the ad, but it was excruciatingly long and boring, and I eventually just closed it. It was absolutely pointless.
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Garcinia Cambogia and M&M's... that's all I ever get ads for.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    MFP has no idea or interest in those ads... They come from things you have searched for in the past. Added by your internet provider.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    MFP has no idea or interest in those ads... They come from things you have searched for in the past. Added by your internet provider.

That's not precisely how it works. MFP has "an interest" in the ads in the sense that it is paid to display them, although no likely has no interest in the content of the ads. And typically the ads are delivered by an ad network, such as Google, not your ISP (unless you happen to live in an area with Google's gigabit broadband service, such as Kansas City, and Google might coincidentally be both your ISP and the ad network that serves behavioral ads based on your online activities).
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    CrazyCatLadylovescats Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sloth3toes! That is kind of what I thought, a gimmick to lure you in, and not really any actual information. Or, it would probably say foods that I am already eating or not eating. (I eat lots of veggies, some meat and dairy, and a few fruits here and there. Occasional grains. Very limited sweet and processed foods.) I feel less urge to satisfy my curiosity now!

And yes, I know that MFP will put on ads that people pay them to put on. Most are pretty straight forward about what exactly it is that they want you to buy.
  • scottsgirl4lyfe2004
    scottsgirl4lyfe2004 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    it picks things you have looked up etc like on facebook i alwys get fitbit,diet stuff kids stuff and anything else i look up it has to do with your cookies