Successfully Starting This Weight Loss Journey

Options
I:happy: To introduce myself, I am wanting to loose 100 pounds in the next couple of years to lower my triglycerides, increase my likelihood of avoiding diabetes, have more stamina and train to run fun runs with my family. I do not believe diets work and have generally been committed to lifestyle changes. In recent years, LIFE has happened and I have been surprised at how much I've slipped away from making healthier choices. It's happened gradually and with little exceptions happening more and more often until it has become more the norm than the exception. I've been using MyFitnessPal for about three weeks and am thrilled by how easy it is to use and how helpful it's been in helping me make some needed changes. :happy:

I have generally stayed active, but need some more motivation in this area lately. I am hoping that by training with my family to do some fun runs that I will get back into a daily routine of exercising. I have a dog that loves long walks. I need to figure out how to put music and audio books on my phone to listen to as I walk. I've always walked longer and enjoyed it more. Having a walking partner helps, but I haven't been able to find one lately. I am thankful that I've been able to heal the Plantar Fasciitis that curtailed my walking in the last couple of years. :happy: I am considering joining some fitness classes at my Y.

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    This is a great site. Take the time to learn about all the great features and use them.
    You will succeed if you work hard and don’t lose sight of your goal.
    This site changed my life and it can change yours

Take it one day at a time
    Stay open minded to new ideas
    Take baby steps
    Drink lots of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

It always helps me to log my food first before I eat so there are no surprises.

Find a group to be part of and check in with them every day. The best way to find a group is to go to the message boards and read a lot of the threads until you find a group that has what you want, then reply and say you want to join and then participate regularly with them and get to know them.

I have a ton of favorite music on my phone and having the music to listen to allows me to walk a long way.......in bad weather I walk, dance, and jog in the house to music or while watching a favorite TV show or movie.......the best exercise is the one you'll do.....I've had very little luck with finding a walking partner so I've learned to count on myself and my music and my dogs for company.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • mrskern06
    mrskern06 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been very anti-diet and calorie counting. But I love this site and it has given me the tools to eat healthier and track exercise, etc. Good luck on your journey!! You can do it and you will be fabulous!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I also have not had much luck finding a walking partner but maybe we should set up a group where you can put down where you are from and people from the same area can get together for walking, just a thought..

Good luck on your journey. This is an awesome site and has really helped me. Just use the food and exercise diary daily. Stay within your calorie counts. Try to get in at least 30 min worth of exercise 3xs a week , drink lots of water and log in here daily for support.....You can do it